Mez, Coburn, Grossman all healthy cleared to play Gagne invite ? Per Holmgren

Mario99

I think the reason that there's nothing official is that it's the offseason. Right now it's doubtful they're working with team doctors, the information from the player's "personal" doctors may be accepted by the team, but they probably can't make an official announcement until the start of camp when they get their team physicals.

I think the reason that there's nothing official is that it's the offseason. Right now it's doubtful they're working with team doctors, the information from the player's "personal" doctors may be accepted by the team, but they probably can't make an official announcement until the start of camp when they get their team physicals.

As per Holgrem mez was supposed to be cleared at the end of July. I was hoping he would be cleared and then we could explore trade route. By having no announcement I feel he did not pass the physical or they would be bragging about it. imo mez is headed for LTIR.

No big deal.  Nobody is trading for Mez until they see him play some.  In addition, my guess is that the Flyers would like to make it through camp, or at least most of it injury free, prior to dealing any defenseman.  

In addition, I don't think Mez is necessarily the guy who gets moved.  Coburn and Grossmann could also be on the list. 

• Like 1

No big deal.  Nobody is trading for Mez until they see him play some.  In addition, my guess is that the Flyers would like to make it through camp, or at least most of it injury free, prior to dealing any defenseman.  

In addition, I don't think Mez is necessarily the guy who gets moved.  Coburn and Grossmann could also be on the list. 

I hate to say it (because I just received his jersey as a present last year and was able to get it signed at the STH Meet the Players Night), but I think Grossmann is the guy they're going to shop most: Not as mobile as either and Meszaros can do most of what Grossmann does.

I just wanted to add to this thread that the Flyers need to do a better job of identifying an upward path for the kids.  Gus looks like he may be ready, but guess what...at the moment he probably isn't in the top 6.  Morin and Hagg could be a year or 2 away.  Lauridsen could be close.  Alt may make things interesting and try to earn his way to the big club.  Then there is also Manning, who I personally see as a call up type, but still the organization is either going to have to put some faith and trust in these kids at some point or we'll never develop defenseman. 

I hope I am wrong, but I think he will re-injured the shoulder again.

I hope you're wrong, too.  It wouldn't be the first person to suffer repetitive shoulder injuries.  Conversely, there is precedent for recovering and staying healthy, too.  Being this is Negadelphia -- and things do often seem to go sour since the mid- to late-80's (depending upon what sport you follow, but especially the bright spots in Flyers history since then), there is reason to be leery about him being 100% this year.  At the same time, I would not be surprised if he played 60+ games.  It's fun not being able to decide whether to be optimistic or pessimistic!  :huh:

I just wanted to add to this thread that the Flyers need to do a better job of identifying an upward path for the kids.  Gus looks like he may be ready, but guess what...at the moment he probably isn't in the top 6.  Morin and Hagg could be a year or 2 away.  Lauridsen could be close.  Alt may make things interesting and try to earn his way to the big club.  Then there is also Manning, who I personally see as a call up type, but still the organization is either going to have to put some faith and trust in these kids at some point or we'll never develop defenseman. 

Part of the problem is having each and every roster spot accounted for in the cap era. Injuries are the only way a kid can break into the line-up these days. Injuries are the only part of the equation that can't be calculated or accounted for. You just don't see, oh...Gus looks ready, so we don't have to account for one of the d-men spot. It's usually a big huge game of not getting caught with your pants down, or more commonly known as, not having enough NHL experienced players.

I don't think it was a fluke that the Flyers d played it's very best hockey of the season while filling in for the 4 injured regulars. The Flyers d is much more mobile and savvy if Gus and Oliver are included in the equation....but again, no roster spots available. We have to find a way to get our very best 6 d-men on the ice, and cap be damned. Of course, the problem is, once you start shipping out vets to make room of the cheaper and more valuable kids, injuries can hurt you more than ever. I honestly don't know what the answer is.

Part of the problem is having each and every roster spot accounted for in the cap era. Injuries are the only way a kid can break into the line-up these days. Injuries are the only part of the equation that can't be calculated or accounted for. You just don't see, oh...Gus looks ready, so we don't have to account for one of the d-men spot. It's usually a big huge game of not getting caught with your pants down, or more commonly known as, not having enough NHL experienced players.

I honestly don't buy that for this organization.  We do it with forwards all the time, we just don't do it with defenseman.  Even with forwards it is less likely to happen if they are on the 4th pair unless an injury occurs.  The team wants top 3 line forwards and top pairing defenseman, but not everyone needs to be that.  IMO, I think it comes down to trust.  They know what they will get from the vet. 

The Flyers d is much more mobile and savvy if Gus and Oliver are included in the equation....but again, no roster spots available.

so true and me I'd take Gus' and Oliver's lack of experience over Streit's game any day. I know it's a dead horse but I really hate that Streit signing. Does he bring some good stuff that the Flyers need? Of course he does. But he's also pretty expensive for what we're getting especially when you consider Gus brings nearly the same things, just with less experience.

Gus shows potential but lacks experience. The only way to develop his potential is to let him skate NHL minutes. But he doesn't have enough experience to crack the lineup over Mark Streit. So we wait on the inevitable injuries and assume Gus will be the first callup.

@canoli

I don't mind Streit's signing; at least it made sense.  Lecavalier's signing made no sense hockey-wise.  I am still trying to figure out why the Flyers signed him.  All he will do is bump either Reid or Schenn out of the second line, where both belong.  Streit - I can live with.

@canoli  I'm not sold on Streit's game either. The big question for me is will his ability to stretch the ice with the big pass make up for his defensive zone shortcomings? I wanted to start patterning our defense after the quick, fast, mobile defense they have in Chicago. Speed and smarts rule the day in the present NHL, and that does say Mark Striet to me. I'm trying to have an open mind and properly weigh the pros and cons. That will take time and patience, and I have both of those skills....lol.

@canoli  The one thing we both kinda overlooked/missed is the leadership ability of Streit. He was the Islanders captain (to be replaced by Tavares tomorrow btw). This should factor in heavily on the pro side of the pros and cons. You don't wear the C in this league unless players respect you and look up to you. The Islanders are one of the teams where the players actually get to vote on the captain. So, that's a huge plus for Mark. I just hope and pray he's not leaky in his own end....that would be a deal breaker for me.

Sure like I said he brings qualities the Flyers can use - that any team can use. But...put it this way if you were unhappy with Matt Carle's D you're going to absolutely hate Mark Streit.

The weak D I don't mind that much. He does make up for it in other areas, plus we now have 2 actual NHL goaltenders so if our top 6 stay healthy we have a reasonably good D. It'll be up to the forwards (and Lavy's line changes) to make it gel.

It's not so much Streit being a forward-on-defense it's his money... and the fact that we have 3 or 4 guys (Gus, Ollie, Manning and MAB) all ready for NHL ice time. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought Gus, Ollie and MAB looked plenty ready for NHL minutes - steady minutes I mean. How much more can Gus and Ollie accomplish in the A? Manning prob needs the time (and MAB if he ever heals) but Gus and Ollie should be facing NHL teams on a regular basis I think.

Well we've got Streit at $5.25 for the next 4 years. Kimmo will retire so that's 1 spot...where else do we find room for the younger guys? We can't just wait on injuries. If / when we make that deep PO run we'll need their energy and speed...but also by then you want most of the rookie mistakes to be ironed out. The only way that happens is if they get NHL experience...before the pressure-cooked POs.

well I'm rambling ... enough from me. We got Streit, we'll just have to hope he's got plenty of offense left in him...and our goaltending stands up to his inevitable lapses on D.