Cleary to the Flyers a done deal

jammer2

Jack, I agree with this but must say that I do believe VL would have gotten that much from another Team.   Call me crazy but someone would have ponied up the dough for his services.   Maybe less of a term but I think he could have been pais as much or more by another team...

Hartnell got 6 years @ $4.75M for 8 goals and 3 assists last year. To be fair, it was signed before knowing how he would do that year. Consider that the previous year, he had 67 points in 82 games (0.81 ppg) while VLC had 49 points in 64 games (0.77 ppg).

Not much difference in terms of rate of production.

VLC definitely would have gotten $4.5M with another team.

I havent seen anything postive posted about homer. I bet if you can find one positive post I can find 20 negative from this week alone.

Since when?

What, exactly, is it that he deserves such kudos for in this off-season, much less the last week? Buying himself out of the mess he created? Signing another 35+ defenseman to a long term deal? Offering, or not offering, or whatever a deal to a 34-year-old third line winger with gammy knees that then turned his back on him? Spending $35 million on a defense that virtually everyone still has serious questions and concerns about? Having another huge question mark in goal two years after signing a nine-year deal with a player to "fix" the goalie problem?

I praised him for the VLC signing, actually - with some reservations about the length of the deal. I've praised his re-signing of Voracek and Simmonds at reasonable numbers. I am on record praising the return he got for Crater and Richards (after he signed both to decade-long deals).

That's the point - he gets his fair share of both.

I made several statements in that post. Not sure which one you're referring to but if you disagree with any of them, fine by me.

Given that I was nice enough to bold them for you, reply to them in the same order in which you made them, and even throw out some numbers to the specific point I was addressing, I think you are well aware of what I was talking about and was more butthurt than anything else, but I'll be polite for now.

You stated Gagne has "far less wear and tear on his body than Cleary" and that's simply not true. Gagne has easily missed more time than Cleary in the last several years. I'm not even sure how one could make that statement with a straight face given Gagne's variety of injury problems, but that's another issue. The fact of the matter is, your statement was incorrect. It's obvious who the more beat up player of the two is.

You stated Gagne has "far less wear and tear on his body than Cleary" and that's simply not true. Gagne has easily missed more time than Cleary in the last several years. I'm not even sure how one could make that statement with a straight face given Gagne's variety of injury problems, but that's another issue. The fact of the matter is, your statement was incorrect. It's obvious who the more beat up player of the two is.

The time that Gagne has missed over the last few years was due to his concussion and the mass on his neck (which has been removed). I don't consider that "beat up". Cleary on the other hand has had recurring shoulder problems and his knees are shot. Gagne can probably skate circles around Cleary at this point. Cleary plays a gritty contact style, Gagne as we all know does not. I would think it would be fairly obvious who has more wear and tear on his body. I could link to post after post from Wings fans describing how broken down Cleary is, but I won't. If you're interested, just read through some of the threads on hfboards. I think Wings fans are a lot more familiar with his physical condition than either you or I.

In any case, given that neither Cleary nor Gagne are in the Flyers camp now, this is a completely pointless argument. I'm out.

Edited by JackStraw

The time that Gagne has missed over the last few years was due to his concussion and the mass on his neck (which has been removed). I don't consider that "beat up". Cleary on the other hand has had recurring shoulder problems and his knees are shot. Gagne can probably skate circles around Cleary at this point. Cleary plays a gritty contact style, Gagne as we all know does not. I would think it would be fairly obvious who has more wear and tear on his body. I could link to post after post from Wings fans describing how broken down Cleary is, but I won't. If you're interested, just read through some of the threads on hfboards. I think Wings fans are a lot more familiar with his physical condition than either you or I.

In any case, given that neither Cleary nor Gagne are in the Flyers camp now, this is a completely pointless argument. I'm out.

I don't care what kind of injuries they were, the fact of the matter is that Gagne is missed more time over the last several years than Cleary. Your notion that Clearly is "more broken down" - while somehow playing more games than Gagne - is complete and total bullshit. You're out, lol.  Is that your way of admitting you were wrong?

@fanaticV3.0  I'm no doctor, but when you hear a player is working with "bone on bone" in the knee area, that is pretty serious. Concussions can clear up, but bone on bone can't be fixed. I *think* that's what the Strawman was trying to convey. Cleary played more games than Gagne of late, no doubt, but I don't think it's guaranteed his knees will hold up. You can only "gut it out" so much.

• 2 weeks later...

@fanaticV3.0  I'm no doctor, but when you hear a player is working with "bone on bone" in the knee area, that is pretty serious. Concussions can clear up, but bone on bone can't be fixed. I *think* that's what the Strawman was trying to convey. Cleary played more games than Gagne of late, no doubt, but I don't think it's guaranteed his knees will hold up. You can only "gut it out" so much.

Gagne has had injury problems for years now. Not a few months or even the past season, but years. Not only that, it's not even one injury. The man's body is shot from head-to-toe. To say he's somehow less beat up than Cleary - who has played more and had less problems - is a stupid statement.