Cleary to the Flyers a done deal

jammer2

Dan told the Free Press right after midnight he's going to Philly. The rumored 3 year deal is way to long, not sure of the cap hit, but this is a solid hockey move. We just became way tougher to play against.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130910/SPORTS05/309100034/detroit-red-wings-daniel-cleary-philadelphia-flyers

Wow, 2.75 mill a year seems a tad high, but on the bright side, we just signed the Wings 2nd best point producer in the playoffs. The bigger the game, the more Dan shows up, a quality that is tough to ignore, and something a rookie just would not have provided in the post season. Once again, the Flyers get better for this year, but will Dan be skating at the same speed 3 years from now?

Dan's career stats...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=19301

Forget how the over 35 rule works, he turns 35 on Dec 18th. Does this mean it's a under 35 contract, or is it one cause he turns 35 in the first year of the deal? Didn't this come up with Pronger?

No idea where the hell they are getting 2.75 for a 3rd line winger.

Homer via Sniders ties with the NHL knows how high the cap will EXPLODE next season, or Max Talbot is being moved. Doesnt he have a NTC? Cleary and Talbot are identical players. Not a bad thing, but in the salary cap world it doesn't make sense IMO.

@AMMOnation  I just knew Homer would find a way to spend Pronger's LTIR money before camp opened. Apparently, according to the Detroit Free Press article, the Flyer's can't sign him until Pronger's money becomes available. I suppose this means Gagne will be shown the door, which sucks because it looked like they had a deal in place a lot like Cleary's. Gagne could have been shopping his services to other teams instead of waiting for a contract that never materialized. I suppose they could still sign both, but highly unlikely. We just became a more dangerous playoff team, should we make them, so that is a plus. If Gagne gets left holding the stick though, that is kinda dirty.

• Like 1

@AMMOnation  I just knew Homer would find a way to spend Pronger's LTIR money before camp opened. Apparently, according to the Detroit Free Press article, the Flyer's can't sign him until Pronger's money becomes available. I suppose this means Gagne will be shown the door, which sucks because it looked like they had a deal in place a lot like Cleary's. Gagne could have been shopping his services to other teams instead of waiting for a contract that never materialized. I suppose they could still sign both, but highly unlikely. We just became a more dangerous playoff team, should we make them, so that is a plus. If Gagne gets left holding the stick though, that is kinda dirty.

I wouldn't put it past them to move Cooter & Mez/Grossman for a top 4 dman. No one will take Mez straight up because of injuries, even Grossman is a tough sell he is a bit banged up.

Now you have Clearly on LW, Hartnell, Schenn, Talbot... Cooter and Cleary are a wash in terms of CURRENT skills. Unless Cooter pulls some offensive skill out of his butt this year. Schenn gets moved to center on 3rd in place of Cooter.

Just in terms on forwards in the top 12 that have more value defensively  than offensively you have Cooter, Talbot and Cleary. Thats a friggin whole line. Add that to the rest of the studs who are more than responsible defensively.

Edited by AMMOnation

I'm not a Gagne hater or anything, but I just don't think he's worth the money.  Nice guy and great memories, but he's a dime/dozen player at this point.   Read > Gagne but much younger.

I would, however, feel badly if he was promised something and now is left out in the cold.

I wouldn't put it past them to move Cooter & Mez/Grossman for a top 4 dman. No one will take Mez straight up because of injuries, even Grossman is a tough sell he is a bit banged up.

Now you have Clearly on LW, Hartnell, Schenn, Talbot... Cooter and Cleary are a wash in terms of CURRENT skills. Unless Cooter pulls some offensive skill out of his butt this year. Schenn gets moved to center on 3rd in place of Cooter.

Just in terms on forwards in the top 12 that have more value defensively  than offensively you have Cooter, Talbot and Cleary. Thats a friggin whole line. Add that to the rest of the studs who are more than responsible defensively.

Kind of hope you're wrong.  People spent most of the summer convincing me that moving Schenn to VL's wing was a good thing.  I've bought in, so don't make me change again. 

Kind of hope you're wrong.  People spent most of the summer convincing me that moving Schenn to VL's wing was a good thing.  I've bought in, so don't make me change again. 

Ah just saying, I think they are fully committed to Schenn, and his upside is higher than Cooter. I don't think Schenn is a winger either.

They have a glutten of young centers on top of Giroux & Vinny. I think they love Schenn and Laughton and Cooter is expendable.

@AMMOnation  The only saving grace for me in this "win now" race to add vets is the fact they have not mortgaged the future. Any deal involving Coots would have to be a real good one. I'm just not ready to give up on him and see him have a wicked career elsewhere.

Ah it'd have to be a defenseman 25 and younger.

I don't think the Flyers are willing to move Coburn. I see Cooter & Grossman going for a dman. Clears cap space in the process. Grossman has another year on his contract as well.

Ah just saying, I think they are fully committed to Schenn, and his upside is higher than Cooter. I don't think Schenn is a winger either.

They have a glutten of young centers on top of Giroux & Vinny. I think they love Schenn and Laughton and Cooter is expendable.

I'm going to refrain from turning this into another pro-cooter/anti-cooter thread.   All I will say is I like the guy (Coots) and I don't like Schenn in a checking line role.  If they trade Cooter, I don't think it ends up moving Schenn off the wing.   I think if they did trade Coots,they'd keep Schenn on VL's wing and just bring Laughton up.   But Holmgren seems to think he's going all in, so I don't know that you want a young rookie in that role at this point.

• Like 1

I can't say I like this deal, but I don't really hate it other than the NTC, but it doesn't make me happy either. 

I do dislike that Gagne was strung along all summer.   The easiest move is to send Hall to the Phantoms if needed.  

• Like 1

Dan told the Free Press right after midnight he's going to Philly. The rumored 3 year deal is way to long, not sure of the cap hit, but this is a solid hockey move. We just became way tougher to play against.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130910/SPORTS05/309100034/detroit-red-wings-daniel-cleary-philadelphia-flyers

Not liking the length and that STUPID NMC part that I heard thats in it... Cleary isn't worth what he got IMO... A few years ago yes.

I like Cleary, but like most of you, I'm not a fan of the contract. Too much money and too long for a 3rd liner.

I'll take Gagne at 2 years for $4M over Cleary at 3 years and $8.5M with an NMC.

Cleary got length, money, and control over his destiny. Hook, line, and sinker.

I think that definitely settles it up front.

Simmonds/G/V

Hartnell/Lecavalier/Schenn

Cleary/Coots/Read

Rinaldo/Talbot/Hall

Rosehill

Basically Laughton has no shot at making the roster unless bodies get moved, specifically Hall and/or Talbot. If they traded Talbot to MOntreal and Gagne signs there too, they'll have scored the French Canadian trifecta over the summer with Briere.

Philly north.

. If they traded Talbot to MOntreal and Gagne signs there too, they'll have scored the French Canadian trifecta over the summer with Briere.

Philly north.

Montreal already has enough cups.

As for the signing...lets see, his best days are behind him...check, overpaid....check....term too long....check.....NTC...check.

• Like 2

I'm not a Gagne hater or anything, but I just don't think he's worth the money.  Nice guy and great memories, but he's a dime/dozen player at this point.   Read > Gagne but much younger.

I would, however, feel badly if he was promised something and now is left out in the cold.

I'm sick of the blind Gagne love to be honest. I have a lot of friends and family who complained up-and-down FB when they let him go the first time and I'm starting to see it again. The guy has been a shell of his former self for years. I don't hate him either, but let it go.

Edited by fanaticV3.0
  • Like 1

I like Cleary, but like most of you, I'm not a fan of the contract. Too much money and too long for a 3rd liner.

I'll take Gagne at 2 years for $4M over Cleary at 3 years and $8.5M with an NMC.

Cleary got length, money, and control over his destiny. Hook, line, and sinker.

I think that definitely settles it up front.

Simmonds/G/V

Hartnell/Lecavalier/Schenn

Cleary/Coots/Read

Rinaldo/Talbot/Hall

Rosehill

Basically Laughton has no shot at making the roster unless bodies get moved, specifically Hall and/or Talbot. If they traded Talbot to MOntreal and Gagne signs there too, they'll have scored the French Canadian trifecta over the summer with Briere.

Philly north.

I hate that Homer gave out another NTC ( I don't know why Homer gives them out like candy) and I think the contract is too much money, but no way do I want Gagne over Cleary. Gagne is done. His retirement is a formality at this point. He misses too much time and when he does play he's almost a non-contributor at this point. The guy is just too beat up at this point.

Are NTCs more popular nowadays around the league or is that just a Homer thing?

• Like 1

I'm sick of the blind Gagne love to be honest. I have a lot of friends and family who complained up-and-down FB when they let him go the first time and I'm starting to see it again. The guy has been a shell of his former self for years. I don't hate him either, but let it go.

COMPLETELY agree!

• Like 1

Hate the signing...it locks our young kids out of a potential roster spot for 3 years with the stupid NMC clause.  Homer overpaid, over extended on terms, and locked a player in..AGAIN.  A player that NO ONE IN THE LEAGUE wanted to sign for the last 3 months.

Nothing against Cleary, he's a solid player-but NOT what this team needed. Why did they re-sign Adam Hall and Rosehil?.  While they are different style players, they eat up cap space, roster space and ice time.

I can only imagine how bummed some of the kids feel today...Laughton knows his hard work is for nothing, no way he makes this team this year, they'd just waste a year of his contract.  

Good grief this **** gets old.

Edited by DaGreatGazoo
  • Like 1

I wouldn't take Gagne, period.  

As for Cleary vs. Gagne, I like the grit that Cleary brings.  Me makes the Flyers harder to play against.  Gagne doesn't.  I hope Gagne latched on somewhere and I don't wish him ill, but I think he's a shadow of the player he used to be. 

And I wouldn't sign Hal Gill to even an entry-level contract.  They may be letting him audition for elsewhere.

• Like 1

Not a fan of this AT ALL. I like Cleary for what he is, but what he is is not going to make the Flyers a Cup contender. And what he is now is not what he was a few years ago anyway. Why not go with a young guy or just stick with Gags who is probably a) better and b) cheaper? Seriously Homer, wtf? Fwiw, opinion on hfboards is overwhelmingly negative, except among Wings fans who seem happy we took Cleary off their hands.

Edit: Oh wait! Cleary is getting a NTC??? Well that makes it ok!  :(

Edited by JackStraw