Lovin' the way Berube deals with media!

brelic

Haha, he seems like he took the Brent Sutter course "How to deal with dumb reporters"

http://www.csnphilly.com/video_content_type/berube-tells-reporter-get-lost-after-first-win

Looks very confident and comfortable.

i'm thinking they hand out degrees to media anymore with the idiocy in these pressers. Douchebag Eskin I hope is next

I decided to look up some old hockey articles to see if the 'reporting' was much different way back when.

It's not hugely different, but does seem much more matter-of-fact based, with little to no editorializing.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=FutRAAAAIBAJ&sjid=MnMDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4946,3482790&dq=philadelphia+flyers+g:locphiladelphia&hl=en

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=5Fc0AAAAIBAJ&sjid=YM0FAAAAIBAJ&pg=985,4663232&dq=philadelphia+flyers+g:locphiladelphia&hl=en

"what you want me to spank him?"

Loved it...

I only watched the video afterwards, but apparently after he said that he told the guy "get lost!" But they edited that out of the video.

Edit: just clicked on the link above. Guess they didn't edit it out of that one!

Edited by JackStraw

The proof will be in the pudding - what does happen to Rosehill?

Who is "accountable"?

Chief has shown that Sielski is already in his head. "Get lost"? This is the Inky reporter - he's not going anywhere.

The funny thing for me is watching these "big hockey guys" get all upset about being questioned by a news reporter. Game one and the guy is already in your head?

I'd hate to see the reaction during a losing streak. Or if Rosehill does something dumb in the next game (i.e. gets put on the ice).

(To be clear, Sielski just started covering the Flyers and wasn't in Philly before, so all of the comments about putting "the media" in its place are somewhat misguided - it was "the media" you want "put in its place" that was laughing along with Chief).

Chief has shown that Sielski is already in his head. "Get lost"? This is the Inky reporter - he's not going anywhere.

The funny thing for me is watching these "big hockey guys" get all upset about being questioned by a news reporter. Game one and the guy is already in your head?

I don't think Sielski was in his head.. I took it as Chief setting the tone: "Ask a stupid question, and I'll let you know it was stupid."

He just finished saying what Rosehill did was dumb, and that Rosehill knows it.

• Like 2

I don't think Berube should have thrown Rosehill under the bus but just simply say something to the effect of,  "The coaching staff is going to make it clear to him and the rest of the team that we have to stay disciplined out there.   I have no problem with physical play but it must be in the confines of the rules and if it goes overboard and hurts this team they will sit."   Berube talked about how the league has changed from the 70s and 80s and the need to adapt to today's NHL but the way he handled the question makes me question whether he was just trying to say the right thing but isn't going to follow through. 

• Like 1

I don't think Sielski was in his head.. I took it as Chief setting the tone: "Ask a stupid question, and I'll let you know it was stupid."

We'll Sielski ;)

I don't think that asking a guy who is preaching "accountability" how he would handle his first real test of "accountability" is a "stupid question."

Again, we're all happy as heck that they killed off the four minutes.

If they didn't, I'll wager Chief - and all of us - would be in a Very Different frame of mind about Rosehill (who, honestly, doesn't belong on the roster much less the ice).

I only watched the video afterwards, but apparently after he said that he told the guy "get lost!" But they edited that out of the video.

Edit: just clicked on the link above. Guess they didn't edit it out of that one!

Jack... he definitely told the reporter to get lost.  It was the same reporter (Sileski) that Snider was yelling at too... I read this morning on philly.com or csn that after the Chief told him to "get lost" he actually left the building!  The reporting is apparently new on the scene and his first week of covering the Flyers is not going to well... LOL

@murraycraven - the guy looks like he will fit in well with the other sharks in the Philly media:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20131009_Berube_lets_goonish_behavior_slide.html

Basically Berube gave him a non-answer, he has no idea what might happen in practice or in future games. But he writes an entire (worthless) article focusing on that one question he asked. I see a Pulitzer in his future...

@murraycraven - the guy looks like he will fit in well with the other sharks in the Philly media:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20131009_Berube_lets_goonish_behavior_slide.html

Basically Berube gave him a non-answer, he has no idea what might happen in practice or in future games. But he writes an entire (worthless) article focusing on that one question he asked. I see a Pulitzer in his future...

Well... at least it should be fun during the post ame pressers! 

What "sharks" are these?

The stenographers who got upset that they were scooped by Instagram?

Contrast that account with Seravalli's coverage of the same issue (which led and dominated his game story). The difference is stark, and it's not becaue Seravalli has "bite" to his reporting.

Sielski is a little rat, why should the Chief show him any respect after the **** he pulled on Snider?

He doesn't have to show him any respect.

Why is he so upset about what a "little rat" says, asks and does?

Why are you?

He doesn't have to show him any respect.

Why is he so upset about what a "little rat" says, asks and does?

Why are you?

It's blatant disrespect.  This rat has been in this town for 2 months and he has the nerve to call out the owner and coach like this? 

Ummmm........no.

And you wonder why the media has bad a bad rap after turds like this show this kind of disrespect.  I bet the turd has never played a game of ice hockey in his life.  

He's just trying to make a name for himself at the expense of men he should show a little more respect to and it's not right.

It's blatant disrespect.  This rat has been in this town for 2 months and he has the nerve to call out the owner and coach like this? 

Ummmm........no.

And you wonder why the media has bad a bad rap after turds like this show this kind of disrespect.  I bet the turd has never played a game of ice hockey in his life.  

He's just trying to make a name for himself at the expense of men he should show a little more respect to and it's not right.

The media has a bad rap because the rest of them have been lap dogs for this organization for 30 years and some of them are outright owned by the team. And I mean "literally" owned.

The tone of the response was everything. This was a man who was immediately defensive at even the suggestion that there might be a need to look outside the organization.

Someone who wasn't immediately defensive might have said:

"You're new here, so you might not remember the search we did for a new general manager before we extended Paul Holmgren. We talked with many people outside the organization. And in the end we believed that we had the right people in place to get the job done." You also don't go to Shero, Keenan and Quinn as your first "outside coaches" off the tongue. "Peter Laviolette was from outside the organization. Craig Berube is only the fifth former player to be coach of this team in 46 years."

But that's not what we got, because, unfortunately, Mr. Snider isn't used to getting questioned by anyone. And he obviously wasn't prepped by anyone before these appearances. Why put yourself in front of the cameras in an open press conference in that situation? Good question.

The problem is an insular organization that has a reactionary, defensive mindset at the first instant it is questioned about itself - reflected in the way they handle the roster and the team. Quite frankly, I think that Snider's comments in Toronto about questioning whether they have overvalued players is a direct result of the reaction to, in fact, virtually the entire hockey world going "what the hell is going on in Philadelphia?" after his two media appearances at the presser and then on CSN.

Just for the record, the idea that the reporter on the beat for the major daily newspaper in the region "shouldn't ask" any question he wants is ludicrous.

• Like 1

It's blatant disrespect. This rat has been in this town for 2 months and he has the nerve to call out the owner and coach like this?

Ummmm........no.

And you wonder why the media has bad a bad rap after turds like this show this kind of disrespect. I bet the turd has never played a game of ice hockey in his life.

Huh? Is this Bobby Clarke or Paul Holmgren? Or perhaps a distant relative to Snider?

P.... Lease dude...

Well, Sielski basically said that hiring Chief as the new HC was a terrible idea (i.e. sticking with the same team culture that hasn't won a Cup in almost 4 decades), so let's not pretend that THAT didn't have a LOT to do with what happened at the postgame presser last night.

It was pretty funny, but he'd better not make a habit of that kind of thing.

• Like 2