Flying high again

yave1964

A few random thoughts on the Wings 5-2 win over the Flyers..

Good to see Bertuzzi on the top line. The old fart can still play when he feels like. I cannot think of anyone else currently playing who carried the puck as often moving forward while facing backwards as he does, essentially skating forward butt first. Unique style really.

Glad to see the Wings, when struggling retain Datsyuk and Zetterberg on the top line, instead breaking up the players who were causing the problem.Havent had the skill to do so in past seasons.

Good solid game from Tye Mcginn and Raffl, (Not counting his dumb first period penalty) both players were a thorn all night and played with energy

Brendan Smith did not play. Irritated me, I planned on studying him (Studied Weiss instead) the whole night but I understand it. He has gave up the puck all year when pressed.

The Flyers seemed to have only three lines all night. I think Read played the entire game. You cannot win without a fourth line. I haven't looked at the final stats, I may be wrong but Newberry and Rinaldo seemed to have only a shift or two a period.

Alfie on the point looked marvelous. Relaxing, dropped down a line did wonders.

I had no idea that Weiss was a semi dirty player. He likes to hit behind the play, I watched him all night he is borderline nasty. I feel sorry for opponents who draw him he bumps, 'accidently' raises his stick a fair amount. You will be battered and bruised when you play him. Not at all what I thought he was going to be.

A rumor is that Johan Franzen will be playing soon. Just a rumor tho.

Pictures to follow  sometime next week, of here and in Boston. Stay well.

Edited by yave1964
  • Like 1

@yave1964

Ahhhh GFY! :P

Hey, what did you expect? We're dying here!

LOL. Hey when Newbury cracked Tootoo across the back of his legs with a two hander with a few seconds to go my first thought was "YAY!! Now we can put Tootoo on IR!" Oh, I need to work on my humanity.

@yave1964

Glad to see Babcock wasn't afraid to shuffle the lines.  Was widely impressed to see he brought in a call-up too in Luke Glendening (who had a helluva night too).  I know we had a discussion about this last season...Babcock needing to show his players that poor play gets you a seat on the bench.

There's still some work to be done. Detroit was better in the faceoff circle than they were against Phoenix, but there's still room for improvement.  Still allowing a few too many shot.  But this was a fun game to watch.  Datsyuk and Zetterberg were their old selves again.  Just plain pretty...Gives you the giggles watching them......

I'm not going to comment really on Newberry's thwack at Tootoo, however I will say that it looks like Tootoo gave Newberry the evil eye from center ice, and Newberry looked like he realized he just made a terrible mistake.  Look for Tootoo to go after this kid the next time these two teams meet.  

After 2 decades of beatings? Sympathy?

I talked with guy a few months ago who STILL believes the Flyers could have, and should have, won the cup in 1997, and that despite being swept, he felt that Lindros and the Legion of Doom were just going easy because they wanted to play a "real" opponent.  So no, no sympathy  :P  

• Like 1

The Flyers seemed to have only three lines all night.

It looked to me like the Flyers did several more lines than that.

Oh, that's not the kind of lines you meant.

Wings looked like an upper echelon NHL club.   The Flyers might struggle against an ECHL team.

I talked with guy a few months ago who STILL believes the Flyers could have, and should have, won the cup in 1997, and that despite being swept, he felt that Lindros and the Legion of Doom were just going easy because they wanted to play a "real" opponent.  So no, no sympathy

Does he also believe the Easter Bunny stole his lunch box?

Does he also believe the Easter Bunny stole his lunch box?

Ya know, I never thought to ask.  Is that what happened to yours, ore you just a conspiracy theorist?

Don't blame ALL us Flyer fans for ONE delusional psychotic wackjob. I mean in this case. I will fully admit there is more than one delusional psychotic wackjob Flyer fan. Heck the owner is another.

It's a safe assumption.  I've found that Philly fans in general, regardless of sport, more often than not are delusional psychotic wackjobs.  Nobody on this site of course qualifies for that moniker.  No, you guys are all straight up regular folks.  Really.......I mean it......................really...............................................................................really?

Is that what happened to yours, ore you just a conspiracy theorist?

Well maybe, but I really suspect the Tooth Fairy.  Only because it was a really nice lunch box and all that was left was a damned quarter.

Ya know, I never thought to ask.  Is that what happened to yours, ore you just a conspiracy theorist?

It's a safe assumption.  I've found that Philly fans in general, regardless of sport, more often than not are delusional psychotic wackjobs.  Nobody on this site of course qualifies for that moniker.  No, you guys are all straight up regular folks.  Really.......I mean it......................really...............................................................................really?

This from a guy who self-identifies as "WingNut" :D

• Like 1

@yave1964

Glad to see Babcock wasn't afraid to shuffle the lines.  Was widely impressed to see he brought in a call-up too in Luke Glendening (who had a helluva night too).  I know we had a discussion about this last season...Babcock needing to show his players that poor play gets you a seat on the bench.

@WingNut722

I couldn't agree more with your original post here, particularly this part, but the whole thing, really. And I'm glad Babs did it EARLY. Ya gotta set the tone. Gotta show that you mean business when it comes to winning. It just sets up a better environment mentally. Good to see. I have been one of the louder voices calling for Babs to start shaking things up. This is a good first step. I hope it does Smith some good and when he gets his next chance he plays smarter than ever before.

If necessary, Babs shouldn't be afraid to sit someone more important if they are slacking. Right now, we are on a roll, though.

@SpikeDDS

Agreed.  With all the competetition for forwards, I'm surprised Babs is giving Tootoo some quality minutes.  Tootoo hasn't fought anybody at all, but in favor of some of the younger and perhaps,more offense-minded, talent he has on the bench, it's interesting to see Babcock's decision.