Giroux - "We will make the playoffs this year"

fan4ever

I heard on the radio this morning that Giroux is proclaiming that the Flyers will make the playoffs this year.  It is early in the season and they aren't that far out of a playoff spot....

Wow!!

Here is the link.....

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=687883&navid=DL|PHI|home

Edited by fan4ever

I read that too... he must still be hungover from the Eagles game :rolleyes:

I would love for him to prove everyone wrong about this Team and so far this year he has 0-1 w/ predictions:  "This is the game to get the fans back on our side (pens)" so I am not hoclding my breath.  If and when he turns his own play around I think this Team will be decent but G has been one of the biggest issues thus far this season.

“We’re not far at all. How many points are we off, six? To think that with the start we had, we’re that close. We’ve never thought that we’re not going to make the playoffs."

You know how many points you missed the playoffs by last season?

Six.

I was just trying to post a similar thread.

Coincidentally, I was reading Elliotte Friedman's post last night:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2013/10/30-thoughts-playoff-chase-begins-early-in-nhl.html

In last week's 30 Thoughts, there was one statistic a few people asked about, that just three of 32 NHL teams at least four points out of a playoff spot on Nov. 1 recovered to make the playoffs from 2005-06 to 2011-12 (Sources say no hockey was played by that date in 2012-13).

It is amazing to see how the "loser point" has changed the NHL game. The last season before its introduction was 1998-99. Back then, you got two points for a win, one for a tie and nothing if you lost in overtime. There was no shootout. 

That year, the two worst teams in the NHL as we threw out our Halloween costumes were the Colorado Avalanche (2-6-1) and San Jose Sharks (1-6-2). They were four and five points out of the playoffs, respectively. The Avalanche were a powerhouse and recovered to finish second in the Western Conference and reach the conference final. Their first-round opponent? The Sharks.

That simply does not happen anymore. Since the shootout entered the NHL, we've never had a season in which two teams came from that far back to make it. And only one of the three comeback kings was more than four points out. That was Calgary. The Flames were seven points out in 2006-07, then went 40-22-9 to make it. The other survivors were the Buffalo Sabres (2010-11) and Boston Bruins (2011-12). The Sabres went 40-22-8; the Bruins, 45-22-4.

Generally, working yourself into a panic about what your team does in the first 10 games is a bad idea. But what really stands out about this particular season is how many teams are in danger of falling so far behind.

For example, the highest number of teams to fall at least four points out of the playoffs by Nov. 1 in our sample size is seven. That was 2006-07, the year Calgary made it. The lowest was two. This year, there are, potentially, seven such teams in the Eastern Conference (remember the crossovers). The West has three.

Anyway, that's the explanation. The optimists will say, "Well, it's happened each of the last two full seasons, so it can be done again." Just don't show the pessimists the numbers.

Doesn't look good for the Flyers... 

“We’re not far at all. How many points are we off, six? To think that with the start we had, we’re that close. We’ve never thought that we’re not going to make the playoffs."

You know how many points you missed the playoffs by last season?

Six.

Rad... I was thinking the same thing when I read this earlier this morning.   Honestly, Giroux needs to focus on fixing his game and not worrry about the predictions.  

I was just trying to post a similar thread.

Coincidentally, I was reading Elliotte Friedman's post last night:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2013/10/30-thoughts-playoff-chase-begins-early-in-nhl.html

In last week's 30 Thoughts, there was one statistic a few people asked about, that just three of 32 NHL teams at least four points out of a playoff spot on Nov. 1 recovered to make the playoffs from 2005-06 to 2011-12 (Sources say no hockey was played by that date in 2012-13).

It is amazing to see how the "loser point" has changed the NHL game. The last season before its introduction was 1998-99. Back then, you got two points for a win, one for a tie and nothing if you lost in overtime. There was no shootout. 

That year, the two worst teams in the NHL as we threw out our Halloween costumes were the Colorado Avalanche (2-6-1) and San Jose Sharks (1-6-2). They were four and five points out of the playoffs, respectively. The Avalanche were a powerhouse and recovered to finish second in the Western Conference and reach the conference final. Their first-round opponent? The Sharks.

That simply does not happen anymore. Since the shootout entered the NHL, we've never had a season in which two teams came from that far back to make it. And only one of the three comeback kings was more than four points out. That was Calgary. The Flames were seven points out in 2006-07, then went 40-22-9 to make it. The other survivors were the Buffalo Sabres (2010-11) and Boston Bruins (2011-12). The Sabres went 40-22-8; the Bruins, 45-22-4.

Generally, working yourself into a panic about what your team does in the first 10 games is a bad idea. But what really stands out about this particular season is how many teams are in danger of falling so far behind.

For example, the highest number of teams to fall at least four points out of the playoffs by Nov. 1 in our sample size is seven. That was 2006-07, the year Calgary made it. The lowest was two. This year, there are, potentially, seven such teams in the Eastern Conference (remember the crossovers). The West has three.

Anyway, that's the explanation. The optimists will say, "Well, it's happened each of the last two full seasons, so it can be done again." Just don't show the pessimists the numbers.

Doesn't look good for the Flyers... 

Interesting piece Brelic and thanks for sharing.  I absolutely hate the shootout and think it is the worst thing in hockey since the instigator rule.   Looking at the data you shared it does not look very good for the Flyers.  I wonder how many goals per game the Avs, Ducks, and Flames had up to this point the season.   

Anywho... thanks for sharing. 

C'mon MC-getting drunk at the Eagles game was "team bonding"  Stevens baked cakes, Berube says, "Get ****-faced"!

I think it's great man...  a few days off, getting hammered at an eagles game and not a care in the world for this Team.  The Captain said they will make the playoffs so everything is great right? 

At least when they are practicing they are skating hard... that is the only thing i ever hear from the beat writers these days.  "Berube really skated them hard and it was the hardest practice in a long time..."   ;)

I wouldn't expect him to say anything less after 8 games.  WTF is he supposed to say, "Yeah, we've had a really bad start, I'm pretty sure we'll miss the playoffs; the whole season is wasted??" Imagine the burning torches and pitchforks if he says THAT?   :lol:

I get why he said it, but at the same time; stop talking and start playing ALL OF THEM!  What they do on the ice, will be louder than anything they say. 

• Like 1

Interesting piece Brelic and thanks for sharing.  I absolutely hate the shootout and think it is the worst thing in hockey since the instigator rule.   Looking at the data you shared it does not look very good for the Flyers.  I wonder how many goals per game the Avs, Ducks, and Flames had up to this point the season.   

Anywho... thanks for sharing. 

Yeah, I hate the shootout too. If it's here to stay, then at least make regulation games worth 3 points or take out the loser point.

I read the article on Philly.com and while from the title of the piece it sounds like a guarantee, I'm not sure Giroux meant it that way. What he said was:

"we never thought about not making the playoffs. We've got to go game by game and we will make the playoffs."

To me that means he's saying that if they do A, they will accomplish B. I don't take that as any kind of guarantee.

• Like 4

I wouldn't expect him to say anything less after 8 games. WTF is he supposed to say, "Yeah, we've had a really bad start, I'm pretty sure we'll miss the playoffs; the whole season is wasted??" Imagine the burning torches and pitchforks if he says THAT? :lol:

I get why he said it, but at the same time; stop talking and start playing ALL OF THEM! What they do on the ice, will be louder than anything they say.

Don't make any predictions is all would have done. Talk up your teammates and lead by example. Something he has yet to do this year...

I read the article on Philly.com and while from the title of the piece it sounds like a guarantee, I'm not sure Giroux meant it that way. What he said was:

"we never thought about not making the playoffs. We've got to go game by game and we will make the playoffs."

To me that means he's saying that if they do A, they will accomplish B. I don't take that as any kind of guarantee.

That makes more sense jack... Thanks for clarifying. I thought he was going all Messier on us... Lol

Shut up Giroux !

wtf ?

you want the captain of the team to fold up the tent 8 games in ?  

the mindset of this fanbase is ****** startling sometimes.

I watched the interview, he's not pulling a "joe namath " he's talking about winning a game while pointing out (Penquins excluded) everyone else in the division sucks too.

Edit: I'm paraphrasing here he didn't say the other teams sucked, i did, A. because i hate them. B because they do. 

Edited by mojo1917