Varlamov Arrested on Assault Charges

radoran

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_24422082/semyon-varlamov-avalanchearrested-domestic-violence

To be perfectly clear: these are charges that have yet to be proven and as of this posting there are very few details.

Semyon Varlamov, starting goaltender for the Colorado Avalanche, on Wednesday was arrested for domestic violence-related charges, the Denver Police Department said.

Police arrested Varlamov on second-degree kidnapping and third-degree assault charges, police said. The kidnapping charge is a Class 4 felony, punishable by to two to six years in prison, following Colorado statutes. Class 4 felony kidnapping is defined by taking someone and moving them to another place without their consent.

The assault charge is a misdemeanor.

Edited by radoran
disclaimer :)

Apparently,

A Russian news website obtained a phone interview with Semyon Varlamov’s father, Alexander, Wednesday night. Using a Google translation, one of the things Varlamov’s father said of his son’s current situation – arrested for domestic violence/assault and kidnapping – he said “No crime was committed.”
Alexander Varlamov said the media has “fanned the situation”, and that there was “no abduction” of the alleged victim.

We’ll know more about what happened Thursday. Varlamov is slated to be in court at 10 a.m. to answer to the charges

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2013/10/31/semyon-varlamovs-father-no-crime-was-committed/15403/

another blog posted that Varlamov is not married

Is it selfish of me that my first thought was 'Wow, there goea my fantasy goaltender!'

Seriously, hope the young lady he allegedly stomped and put in the hospital is alright. He is a professional athlete and will likely get out of it in the end.

Is it selfish of me that my first thought was 'Wow, there goea my fantasy goaltender!'

Seriously, hope the young lady he allegedly stomped and put in the hospital is alright. He is a professional athlete and will likely get out of it in the end.

It has nothing to do with being an athlete. I've worked these kinds of assaults for almost twenty years. I can think of one that put someone in jail. ONE. And ive handled hundreds. The victims refuse to cooperate 99% of the time.

It has nothing to do with being an athlete. I've worked these kinds of assaults for almost twenty years. I can think of one that put someone in jail. ONE. And ive handled hundreds. The victims refuse to cooperate 99% of the time.

That is sad, so very, very sad.

I have a sister in law who was in a relationship that consisted of watching her husband get drunk and beat the hell out of her for years at least one weekend a month, it took YEARS for her to finally get away from the POS, someone whom the rest of the family was frankly a bit worried about doing something crazy to her and winding up on the ID channel. I have never understood how anyone can do this kind of S@@@ and look themselves in the mirror. And now the Russian consulate claiming political persecution? Please.

@Polaris922

On the flipside of the coin

I have a good friend who used to go out with this....nutcase. He wanted to break it off and she lost it. He lives in this beautiful 2 story condo on the water. She calls the police and claims he assaulted her (he swears he never touched her and I believe him-he's about as passive a guy as you'll meet). So they throw him in jail for the night. She moves into his condo (she had a key). He isn't allowed to go near HIS home. Finally he proves to the police it's HIS residence, not hers. She's given TEN days to get out. Finally the day comes when he can go back home....he walks into an empty condo. She's gone, the furniture, appliances, light and plumbing fixtures... I kid you not.

Some of the reported details, nothing though has been said of the kidnapping charge.   

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/31/lawyer-for-alleged-varlamov-victim-details-allegations/related/

ev-e1383233204808.jpg?w=211

Tuesday morning was not the first time Semyon Varlamov assaulted his girlfriend, according to her lawyer. But this time, she decided to do something about it.

Referring to his client as E.V. (pictured), attorney Robert Abrams told CBS4 in Denver that a drunken Varlamov “threw her in to the wall, she went to floor and then he was stomping on her and that’s what caused the bruising and the damage.”

“This time E.V. said to us ‘That’s it, go lock him up,’” Abrams said. “This girl is 5-foot-3, 100-and-nothing pounds, he’s 6-foot-2, a 210 pound professional athlete. This is a very sizeable force approaching you and this is terrifying.”

Abrams also said the woman was hospitalized as a result of the assault

@Polaris922

On the flipside of the coin

I have a good friend who used to go out with this....nutcase. He wanted to break it off and she lost it. He lives in this beautiful 2 story condo on the water. She calls the police and claims he assaulted her (he swears he never touched her and I believe him-he's about as passive a guy as you'll meet). So they throw him in jail for the night. She moves into his condo (she had a key). He isn't allowed to go near HIS home. Finally he proves to the police it's HIS residence, not hers. She's given TEN days to get out. Finally the day comes when he can go back home....he walks into an empty condo. She's gone, the furniture, appliances, light and plumbing fixtures... I kid you not.

Yep. I have seen that situation happen quite a few times.

I see 6% of Varly owners dropped him today in Yahoo, wow, that is kinda quick. At the very least, this will be drawn out, and *if* he does get charged, I can see the court dates being after the season is over. That's usually the way it happens, the million dollar lawyer drags it out until all hockey is done.

A lot of people fail to realize how a great lawyer can introduce reasonable doubt. Although, I must say, this lawyer will have his hands full, cause hospitalized as a result of the attack is looking pretty hard to overcome. Who knows, the lawyer might even argue they are self inflicted wounds, the motive being "a woman scorned" or "just pure money making evil".

A lot of times, the woman will take a buy out that would be bigger than any civil suit would award her for the injuries she sustained. The Police would have to charge him, but without her co-operation, it would be hard to convict.

@jammer2

I got the impression from the the nbc article that Abrams, the victims lawyer, was consulting with miss E.V. previously.  Thus the hospitalization, and cooperation needed to make a sound case. 

"“This time E.V. said to us ‘That’s it, go lock him up,’” Abrams said."

He's not going to jail. I'll be shocked if she goes through with it.

@yave1964

Yup... I just left a domestic abuse call at 4am. Just the way it is.

@flyercanuck

Yup it cuts both ways. Seen the system abused many times. Sometimes I have to arrest someone I don't think really did anything but we can't chance it. I've even managed to arrest the liar for false reporting a few times through the years.