Leaderless ship

brelic

Among the many many many problems with this squad, I think near the top is that there is no leader.

Giroux has never been captain before, so I'm not sure why they thought it would be a great idea to make him one at 24 in the toughest league in the world. In any case, his body language and quotes are not those of a leader. And maybe that's because he's not a leader. And that's ok.

Except it's not, because the team decided he was. What an awkward situation. He may very well develop into a leader... but again, I question that because he has never shown that before. 

I don't know that there are really better choices on this team right now, and I wouldn't take it away from him. They made the mistake of giving it to him, I think taking it away would probably not help, especially when he openly admits he has no confidence. Talk about a confidence killer!

Anyway, it's just something I've noticed amidst this terrible start to the season: no one is emerging as a leader.

I would say so brelic... I hate to say this but here it goes : I hope they get embarrassed tonight in NJ. I want Snider to have a heart attack and die.

Honestly, G is really becoming a show point. I have never seen a player of his skill and talent turn into a terrible player.

Agree. they are in a real pickle in the leadership department.  As much as I would love to see Roo lose the "C", that just might be the straw to break him.  There are NO leaders on this team. 

Sadly this team is in such disarray that it will take a season or two to straighten out.  I agree with @brelic, can we make VLC at least wear the "A". 

Who is captain material on this team? You can say Timmo but with his age It is time for him to move onto greener pastures.  Love him and wish him the best, but he is TOO slow and needs to move on.  I don't want to be switching Captains next year again too.

I don't think pulling the C from G is the answer. If you do that you might as well trade him and get a big return. In fact, might as well trade the whole team ...

Agree..that is why I said as much as I want too....you just can't .....though at this moment trading him might be the way to go (and I hate typing that....just still too ticked off from last nights version of the Titantic)

Among the many many many problems with this squad, I think near the top is that there is no leader.

Giroux has never been captain before, so I'm not sure why they thought it would be a great idea to make him one at 24 in the toughest league in the world.

I am willing to bet that the "First Shift" vs the Pens is what made them decide to name him captain. 

I am willing to bet that the "First Shift" vs the Pens is what made them decide to name him captain. 

Yup. Just like that one game Shelley played against us as a Ranger made Homer decide to sign him to a 3 year contract.

Yup. Just like that one game Shelley played against us as a Ranger made Homer decide to sign him to a 3 year contract.

just like that time Jay Rosehill skated one 7 second shift against us as a Leaf made Homer decide to get him.

Edited by Samifan

and decide to waste a contract on 38 year old pylon Hal Gill, just so Gill could serve as Head Maître d at the Popcorn Bar and Good 'Ol Boys Lounge at Wells Fargo Center!

Edited by Samifan

This is why it is so dangerous to be 100% reactionary and yet make long-term commitments in doing so.

You can't make a 15-year commitment to something and then three years later decide that you need to go in a new direction. That's, quite frankly, insane. It has nothing to do with the merits of the deal itself - it's the evidence that the team has no real long-term direction despite numerous attempts to define itself as having one simply by declaring it to be true. If something new and shiny comes on the market, forget your commitment to what you have,.

FWIW, Snider's been "married" four times.

• Like 1

This is why it is so dangerous to be 100% reactionary and yet make long-term commitments in doing so.

You can't make a 15-year commitment to something and then three years later decide that you need to go in a new direction. That's, quite frankly, insane. It has nothing to do with the merits of the deal itself - it's the evidence that the team has no real long-term direction despite numerous attempts to define itself as having one simply by declaring it to be true. If something new and shiny comes on the market, forget your commitment to what you have,.

FWIW, Snider's been "married" four times.

Exactly. We as fans can be reactionary and call for them to fire all things. 

But we're not actually in charge of anything. So no danger.

I just wish a bunch of front office people laid out a plan. "Ok, here's our 10 year direction - we are going to build a team that is fast and skilled, a team that relies on puck control to frustrate the opponent and goad them into making mistakes. Here are the advantages to that.... here are the disadvantages to that... here's how you mitigate those disadvantages. And here's how we're going to draft. When making trades, here's the checklist/guideline to follow before pulling the trigger... blah blah blah"

As Yogi Berra once said, if you don't know where you're going, you'll end up someplace else. Well, right now, we're someplace else.

• Like 1