Luke Schenn next to go? (rumor)

Leach27

Coburn is literally the new Carle. Full on scapegoat. Fans seem to hate him while he's here, and sure will miss him when he's gone. And blame Homer / the new GM for it.

I disagree. I think Coburn is flat-out terrible most nights. I don't miss Carle either. We need a PMD but Carle's defense was so horrid and I saw him blowing coverage or getting out-skated so many times that I would have traded him for a Butterfinger. Sadly, we got less than a Butterfinger for Carle.

I disagree. I think Coburn is flat-out terrible most nights. I don't miss Carle either. We need a PMD but Carle's defense was so horrid and I saw him blowing coverage or getting out-skated so many times that I would have traded him for a Butterfinger. Sadly, we got less than a Butterfinger for Carle.

Boy, I respect the Hell out of that post. I don't agree with the Carle thing, but I appreciate someone finally standing up and saying "didn't like him then, don't like him now." Haven't seen anyone doing that.

(Sorry if that sounds condescending or whatever. It's not meant to be. I really just found it refreshing)

Boy, I respect the Hell out of that post. I don't agree with the Carle thing, but I appreciate someone finally standing up and saying "didn't like him then, don't like him now." Haven't seen anyone doing that.

(Sorry if that sounds condescending or whatever. It's not meant to be. I really just found it refreshing)

I appreciate it. Carle just is not a good defenseman when it comes to playing defense. Not in the crucial moments when you needed him to just make the simple play, to not turn the puck over. He's not a bad hockey player by any means but without somebody like Pronger there to bail him out his flaws became extremely noticeable. Tampa fans weren't happy with him last year either. Would he benefit us on the breakout? Yeah. Would he shoot a puck faster than 2 mph? No. Could he help our horrid defensive play? Not much. Just not a big Carle fan. I don't blindly hate him but he did enough to warrant me not wanting him back, especially with that salary.

I totally had to eat crow on Carle. Hated him his first half season here. He turned into a great player next to pronged. Stayed that way after prongs went down.

Was not happy when homer screwed us on that one.

Coburn is literally the new Carle. Full on scapegoat. Fans seem to hate him while he's here, and sure will miss him when he's gone. And blame Homer / the new GM for it.

I really disagree. The right pairing helped, but he really became a solid 2 way d man.

Not a#1 but a solo 3/4.

I appreciate it. Carle just is not a good defenseman when it comes to playing defense. Not in the crucial moments when you needed him to just make the simple play, to not turn the puck over. He's not a bad hockey player by any means but without somebody like Pronger there to bail him out his flaws became extremely noticeable. Tampa fans weren't happy with him last year either. Would he benefit us on the breakout? Yeah. Would he shoot a puck faster than 2 mph? No. Could he help our horrid defensive play? Not much. Just not a big Carle fan. I don't blindly hate him but he did enough to warrant me not wanting him back, especially with that salary.

The thing for me is that, like most things, we see what is in front of us. We see the breakaways that weren't stopped. We see the turnover that led to the goal. We see the blown coverage. The ill-advised pass.

The ice is, indeed, always smoother.

Errors are part of the game. Cutting down on them is the key.

One of the points was that you could likely have had Carle for less money and possibly less term if they had extended him before the deadline instead of letting him hang on the open market.

Tampa blew his doors off. Philly might just have needed to open the door. There are arguments on either side.

I'm not a "Carle fan" but I am a fan who knows that all defensemen make mistakes. Carle is a serviceable defenseman with above-average offensive skills. He's Liles or Ehrhoff or a dozen other guys who are never anyone's #1 choice to be "their team's guy."

For me, losing Carle hurt some of the foundation of the team as it was. They had just gotten to the second round of the playoffs. They had just beaten the Crosby Penguins. 

Management reacted to this achievement by leaving two critical parts of the chemistry of the team hanging out to dry in pursuit of guys who hadn't just battled through two playoff rounds together.

Reload that "gun" with a year of experience and who knows what might have happened? Even with the trillion ton anchor management hung around their heads in goal.

I always laugh when players get benched people jump to the conclusion they are to be traded, if that was the case half the Rangers team would have been gone last year when Torts was benching players. Berube message is quite clear, play or sit.

I will buy that but when do the big guys sit?  Giroux, Jake and/or Hartnell would send a message loud and clear.   Benching Gus, Schenn and McGinn is not sending much of a message...

@ruxpin  I'm glad Carle is gone. Mr.Softie wanted to much money (at the time), now it would be a decent contract. A lot of people forget the brain farts in his own end....when Carle's game was off, it was WAY off. Good riddance.

See, I'm not sure I get the "wanted too much money (at the time)" and the "now it would be a decent contract."   Since the "at the time" would cover "now" maybe it was decent at the time and we just didn't realize it.

I remember the "brain farts" you're talking about.   I was willing to take them for the other things I liked about him.

But I definitely appreciate the consistency.   And by the way, I'm TELLING YOU, that Jimmy Van Ricedick punk will never amount to anything!

@ruxpin  I'm glad Carle is gone. Mr.Softie wanted to much money (at the time), now it would be a decent contract. A lot of people forget the brain farts in his own end....when Carle's game was off, it was WAY off. Good riddance.

How much money did he want? He GOT a lot of money from Tampa while standing around waiting for Homer tomake an offer.

Could thry have signed him for less before the UFA period started?

We'll never know.

See, I'm not sure I get the "wanted too much money (at the time)" and the "now it would be a decent contract."   Since the "at the time" would cover "now" maybe it was decent at the time and we just didn't realize it.

I remember the "brain farts" you're talking about.   I was willing to take them for the other things I liked about him.

But I definitely appreciate the consistency.   And by the way, I'm TELLING YOU, that Jimmy Van Ricedick punk will never amount to anything!

Well, history tells us that Carle is a 35-40 pt d-man who provides a decent transition game. Next year when the cap explodes, 5.5 mill will be the norm for these types, but a few years ago, when he signed the deal....I maintain it was a bit pricy for a 3-4 guy who is very susceptible to brain farts in his own end. Like rad said, had Homer not waited around, he might have got him cheaper before he hit the UFA market, guess we will never know. 

• Like 1