Luke Schenn next to go? (rumor)

Leach27

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Dallas-Others-Inquiring-About-Luke-Schenn/1/55396#.UnbnoFMQPOs

The play of defenseman Luke Schenn last season was one of the few bright spots for a massively disappointing Philadelphia Flyers club in the lockout-shortened season. This season: Well, the Flyers are off to another terrible start and Schenn has been part of the problem rather than part of the solution.

Yesterday in New Jersey, Craig Berube sent a message to Schenn by making him a healthy scratch. For the season, his average ice time is down from last year's average of 21:51 to an average of 15:36.

What got Schenn in the doghouse? It appears that he was one on the players that Berube (who has heavily emphasized skating since taking over from Peter Laviolette) was referring to when he said there were some players who had come to camp in good muscular shape but poor skating shape. Even before he got removed from the lineup, Schenn voluntarily took extra skating after practice, which is unusual for a non-rehabbing or non-scratched player to do. Unfortunately, Schenn's on-ice play has still not come around yet to where he or the team wants it to be.

Nevertheless, I found out today that there are clubs -- Dallas is one and another Western Conference club -- who have some interest in the big, physical defenseman. The source said that "although the optics of trading Schenn after acquiring him for JVR would look terrible" and the Flyers still have Luke's brother, Brayden, on the club, "the team is worried first and foremost about improving the team, regardless of the outside optics." That makes sense, because the Flyers have never cared what anyone outside the organization thinks.

interesting. i asked bill meltzer about gogo for schenn on twitter, a little before noon today. i figured, 2 young dmen who are in the dog house and 2 teams that had needs for diff types of plyrs. i know that gogo stinks in his own end, but he might be ok for a 3rd pairing puck mover and PP guy. bill likes trevor dailey much better, but i bet DAL does too. so 5 hrs later, we read about schenn maybe on the block...hated that luke was all we got back for JVR, but it's a shame that he can't at least be a steady eddie on the 2nd pair. guess, we'll see.

He's rough right now, but his head appears to be going the right way now. If he is working to fix his game voluntarily, I'd rather he be part of the rebuild. He deserves a chance to respond to the scratch. Meszaros responded well, as did Gus.

Timonen and maybe Grossmann need to be moved though. Too slow. The heart and effort are there, but the body isn't cooperating.

• Like 1

mez goes, timms goes, schenn goes, the biggest problem with this team is that there's no nastiness in our defense, it's the one thing that pronger brought to this team that was lacking, they play so careless, i hope he benches coburn at some point i cant stand his turnovers either.

if you look at bostons d and chicago's d, they are nasty.

Edited by flyersfan83

i'm a newbie here so this is my last post today - aren't you lucky - ;-)

both nic and luke add the nasty for whatever their worts are. i'm most concerned about puck movement and overall mobility which is the hallmark of the best d corps these days...think CHI and PHO. a d that can whip that puck out of the zone would be my priority. it seems as if getting the stay-at--home guy who adds a physical element is easier to acquire...certainly has been easier for us, while the puck movers in their prime have eluded us for the most part.

of course guys like pronger and weber could/can do it all...not meant to be i guess.

• Like 1

"the team is worried first and foremost about improving the team, regardless of the outside optics."

At this point i'll listen to offers for everybody...but Dallas doesn't really have anything i like..but to free up a contract after this year and throw in a prospect and a 2nd for Robidas i'd do it.

He's rough right now, but his head appears to be going the right way now. If he is working to fix his game voluntarily, I'd rather he be part of the rebuild. He deserves a chance to respond to the scratch. Meszaros responded well, as did Gus.

Timonen and maybe Grossmann need to be moved though. Too slow. The heart and effort are there, but the body isn't cooperating.

I agree for the most part...   He played well last year and frankly everyone on this team is a stiff right now.   He is still very young for a defensman ...   I still think you need to move Mezz if someone will take him.  Although, in the salary cap world it might be smarter moving someone that is currently under contract like Grossman or Coburn.

Last, the rumor was from Ek so it is 99.9% BS...

Edited by murraycraven

Coburn is literally the new Carle. Full on scapegoat. Fans seem to hate him while he's here, and sure will miss him when he's gone. And blame Homer / the new GM for it.

Carle filled his role here, and did what he was supposed to do, even though a lot of fans didn't like him.  Coburn has done very little over the last 2 seasons.  He's not able to play the role of shut-down Dman, he's not an offensive Dman, he's not a physical Dman, and he hasn't/isn't playing well.  

I was a defender of Carle until he walked out the door(not his fault).  Dumb move on the Flyers part to let him leave, and I said it then.  As of right now, I can't say the same of Coburn.  

• Like 1

@DaGreatGazoo

have to agree about carle. he was also an effective shot blocker whose corsi #'s were usually impressive (not that I'm any kind of expert there, but, just saying).

I'd say that the worm turned on Homer's tenure for good w/ the JVR trade and letting carle go. he'd finally traded 1 scorer too many and lost our best puck mover so he could go to the craps table for weber. we really haven't been the same team since.

• Like 1

Coburn is literally the new Carle. Full on scapegoat. Fans seem to hate him while he's here, and sure will miss him when he's gone. And blame Homer / the new GM for it.

You know what's funny about this?  I was pretty much out on an island by myself defending Carle from the day he got here to the day he left. There were a couple of others and I don't remember exactly whom (I saw DGG's post, and he may have been one of them--I don't remember).   The avalanche of criticism on him and, in turn, on me for defending him was amazing.

The funny part is that it's difficult NOW to find someone who will say, "yeah, I hated the guy and I'm glad he's gone."   Instead, you see his leaving incessantly listed in the Holmgren diatribes. 

---

I don't like Coburn.  He's had some good stretches here or there, but I've pretty much been on him from very early on (not when he FIRST got here, I saw young kid for Zhitnik and, honestly, didn't know enough about Coburn.  I liked that deal and still do).  The crux of my dislike of him, though, has less to do with him and more to do with the way he's used.  He's a decent 2nd guy on the 2nd line or a third pairing guy.  So long as he's paired with the right defenseman.   Way too often, they've tried to put him on the "shut down" pair, the top pair, etc. with way too many minutes.  They have him incessantly playing way over his head and all that does is expose some of his weaknesses and shortcomings.   That's not HIS fault.  He is who he is.  If other GM's think he can actually play the role the Flyers keep putting him in, then trade him to one of those GMs and get out of it what you can.   Otherwise, keep him and use him according to his abilities and his strength and bring someone else in here for the round hole they keep trying to shove the square Coburn into (not calling Coburn "square."  it just worked for the cliche).

Doom is right. Coburn = Carle as far as many fans on this board are concerned. There's a few of us who see (saw) their value but for the most part Coburn is a "turnover machine" and "plays soft" etc.

I admit I overrated him. I thought he was becoming a top-pair guy who could anchor the Flyers' D. I was wrong; he never took that next step. He had the opportunity last year and just didn't do it.

But that doesn't mean he's a liability or that the Flyers should look to trade him. That would be a mistake unless we get back someone who can play 21+ minutes, all situations and play well. There are more offensive-minded D-men in the NHL. There are tougher, nastier D-men around. Coburn falls in the middle: he does everything pretty well but isn't a "stand-out" at anything except being a steady, experienced defender you can trust. We're getting excellent value for his $4.5 cap hit.

re: Luke Schenn - give the kid time for crying out loud. Apparently he's responding as well as anyone could hope; let's see where he's at in another year. His $3.6mil is reasonable imo. He's a bit of a project, he's inconsistent...just what you'd expect from a 24-year old defenseman.

His $3.6mil is reasonable imo

I agree with your post.  And this is not a knock on Schenn, by why in the world is he making $3.6M as a "project?"   I know that's not on him.  He signed what he was offered, and maybe he's offered that elsewhere.  But just saying:  $3.6M for a "project" is absurd.

I, too, am in favor of keeping him, though.

we're all for getting younger until we actually see what getting younger means.... it means people don't know stuff, people need to mature, grow into their bodies, learn how to play at the highest level when the things that worked like a charm for all their lives suddenly don't anymore, because now everyone is the best player also.

schenn is stupid and slow and ****it this fanbase is rid-damn-diculous, he's 24 he's voluntarily working to make himself better ... yeah let's dump him.

Couturier is slow and stupid and 20.... and not a liability, not an offensive force but for chrissakes he's playing on the third line.

Offense Schenn dumber ?  whatever, he hustles, is hard to play against, has good chemistry with Simmonds so let's not play them together, and move him to wing, no center, no back to wing.... hey you see him play center ? yes,  lets try him there...

Read-  fire away he's old enough and i don't know what's wrong.

Giroux- fire away,he's not been the player he's capable of being.

Coburn- he's the best defensman on ******* team now, by all means lets get rid of him because, he's not Scott Neidermyer.  this is what people wanted to get younger , get a core of players, keep them together,  build through the draft,

OH wait they're not awesome right away , they all suck and are overrated , 

what do you want ?

by why in the world is he making $3.6M as a "project?"

yeah that's a good question you'd have to ask the Leafs...Homer inherited that one.

When I wrote "project" I wasn't really thinking of the prototypical rookie or the vet-who-needs-a-change-of-scenery type. Luke Schenn is a project in the way I guess most 24-year old NHL D-men are, the way Seidenberg looked 8 years ago...etc. (btw can you believe Dennis Seidenberg is 32?).

@mojo1917

Great post!

yeah that's a good question you'd have to ask the Leafs...Homer inherited that one.

When I wrote "project" I wasn't really thinking of the prototypical rookie or the vet-who-needs-a-change-of-scenery type. Luke Schenn is a project in the way I guess most 24-year old NHL D-men are, the way Seidenberg looked 8 years ago...etc. (btw can you believe Dennis Seidenberg is 32?).

@mojo1917

Great post!

As with any potential deal, the question isn't "who should be traded" but "what's coming back."

Homer traded for that "inherited" contract... Traded a budding 30-goal scorer he previously used the 2nd pick in the draft to select and signed to a five year deal.

Ya, I don't want anyone traded while Holmgren is running the ship. I'm one of the few who was ok with the Talbot for Downie deal (ok meaning we didn't get the short end of the stick in this instance) but Homer hasn't exactly wowed me with his transactions lately. They really really need to bring someone else in as gm. Most of his trades, signings etc just don't seem to be cutting it. And I'm not thrilled with the development of Flyers youth at this point either. Something is really wrong with this franchise. There's too much talent on this team to be this bad.

Ya, I don't want anyone traded while Holmgren is running the ship. I'm one of the few who was ok with the Talbot for Downie deal (ok meaning we didn't get the short end of the stick in this instance) but Homer hasn't exactly wowed me with his transactions lately. They really really need to bring someone else in as gm. Most of his trades, signings etc just don't seem to be cutting it. And I'm not thrilled with the development of Flyers youth at this point either. Something is really wrong with this franchise. There's too much talent on this team to be this bad.

No truer words have ever been spoken (typed) FC!

I agree with your post.  And this is not a knock on Schenn, by why in the world is he making $3.6M as a "project?"   I know that's not on him.  He signed what he was offered, and maybe he's offered that elsewhere.  But just saying:  $3.6M for a "project" is absurd.

I, too, am in favor of keeping him, though.

I believe the Leafs signed him to that contract and the Flyers took it over when we traded JVR for Schenn. Still a bad contract for a non-proven D man.