Should Flyers pursue P.K. Subban?

TimKerr12,

Tim Kerr was and is my all-time favorite Flyer.  We would have beaten the Oilers in 1987 if we had him. He played through nine shoulder surgeries, and was the type of player in terms of attitude, toughness,skill and leadership this team could use.  On a slighty different subject, P.K. (supposed attitude problems and all) would be exactly what the Flyers would need on their blue line. I said they should not trade Couturier and whoever else for him.  Looking back in hindsight, however, that would have been a great deal for Philly and the Habs would have a good, potentially great young defensive center for years. Couturier is not advancing as a player here the way he should be.

• Like 1

There's bad blood between him and management at this point. Yeah. We'd want him, and yeah he's exactly what they need, but what's the cost?

I still think coots had been one of the more valuable guys on this team... But I don't think Mntrl will settle for just him.

Why would they take anyone we don't want?

@TimKerrFan12

You don't see too many teams letting their #1 defenceman walk these days.

I am convinced that Subban has never been so close to being made available. Therrien took him as a project, a purebred who needs to be tamed, as he calls him.While he has shown promises on that aspect, he's far from being tamed and that's why the Habs are reluctant to give him that big contract. It's a gamble that the organization has to decide if they're willing to take or not, as there is no denying that he has all the tools to be one of the best defensemen in the league.

He scares me. He's too young and not proven enough to have this kinds of problems with management. I don't like divas, but the only thing worse than that kind of player is that kind that isn't proven yet and still thinks his **** doesn't stink. This team has too many problems right now. Adding that kind of player to the mix could be really bad.

That being said, if they'd take Couturier I'd do it.

Subban's ability makes the question a good one,  i would imagine at some point he grows up . if that happens while he's still able to play hockey at a high level well then you have a special player.  

Does the team have strong leaders to help him along ?  for the Flyers the answer is not yet.

Does getting traded or offered a contract that is not commensurate with that of a Norris trophy finalist and winner provide a wake up call or does it make him worse "in the room".

i don't know he's got a boat load of skill... i'd say if Mike Richards or Chris Pronger were still here you jump at the chance to bring him to the club.  I know that Richards has called Subban out, but just like a buddy cop movie i think Subban and he would find common ground on the same team.  

With Claude Giroux as captain and the leadership group in place now in Phi i think bringing PK aboard is risky.

Subban's ability makes the question a good one,  i would imagine at some point he grows up . if that happens while he's still able to play hockey at a high level well then you have a special player.  

Does the team have strong leaders to help him along ?  for the Flyers the answer is not yet.

Does getting traded or offered a contract that is not commensurate with that of a Norris trophy finalist and winner provide a wake up call or does it make him worse "in the room".

i don't know he's got a boat load of skill... i'd say if Mike Richards or Chris Pronger were still here you jump at the chance to bring him to the club.  I know that Richards has called Subban out, but just like a buddy cop movie i think Subban and he would find common ground on the same team.  

With Claude Giroux as captain and the leadership group in place now in Phi i think bringing PK aboard is risky.

I can't figure out of Subban is one of those guys headed down the wrong path or one of those young players who will blossom from a change in scenery.

I don't understand your final comment at all. Bringing him in with G as the captain is a risk, but not with the other two? Because they were so great at welcoming differing personalities?

@fanaticV3.0

I think at this point in his career PK's personality could be toxic in the locker room. I feel PK needs a strong leader with a high skill level to set an example for him to follow, and nurture him toward accepting a leadership role himself.  if the person who is considered the "leader" of a team is lacking leadership skills and talent , i don't think PK will "hear" him.  And I think that will cause problems.  

With this being Claude's first time as captain ever in his life, i think he needs to figure out what kind of leader to be, once he has that figured out and has had some success in the role i think he could handle the challenges the PK will bring.  Right now, i think adding PK to the mix could be a significant obstacle to overcome.

Richards and Pronger were both talented and decent enough leaders, Richards lead by example trying to inspire others to follow his lead, Pronger held guys accountable for their play , i think either would be able to get PK going in a positive direction.

@fanaticV3.0

I think at this point in his career PK's personality could be toxic in the locker room. I feel PK needs a strong leader with a high skill level to set an example for him to follow, and nurture him toward accepting a leadership role himself.  if the person who is considered the "leader" of a team is lacking leadership skills and talent , i don't think PK will "hear" him.  And I think that will cause problems.  

With this being Claude's first time as captain ever in his life, i think he needs to figure out what kind of leader to be, once he has that figured out and has had some success in the role i think he could handle the challenges the PK will bring.  Right now, i think adding PK to the mix could be a significant obstacle to overcome.

Richards and Pronger were both talented and decent enough leaders, Richards lead by example trying to inspire others to follow his lead, Pronger held guys accountable for their play , i think either would be able to get PK going in a positive direction.

I do think he has potential to ruin a locker room, but I don't not trade for him (if I really want him) because Giroux (and not Richards or Pronger) are in charge now. G isn't abrasive or mopey (Pronger and Richards respectively) as a leader. I think either one of those two guys' approaches would be disastrous when dealing with Subban. Much worse than how Giroux would handle it. Pronger would just yell at him and criticizing him (without directly naming him) in the media, while Richards would just complain about how mean his teammates and the media are. I agree with you that Richards inspired people with his play, but he was a terrible leader. He was not known for calling people out when needed and butted with veteran leaders who tried to help him. Giroux doesn't really have a leadership style yet, but he's not a yeller or mopey type, and that alone is a plus imo. I wouldn't want either one of those two dealing with Subban.  

• 4 weeks later...

@fanaticV3.0

I don't think Subban is unhappy in Montreal at all. I think he loves it there. I think management just wants him to become more responsible defensively.

(note: even though Subban played junior in the OHL this statement is solely my opinion and NOT bs excuses or favoritism)

I've seen P.K play 5 times this year. He *is* a changed man. His hustle on defense is nothing short of amazing. He still has a way to go maturity wise, but damn...he is straight up desperate to get the puck out of his end. At this point, the bashers are just bashing without really taking the time to watch him closely. He has this nice mean streak when defending in the defensive zone, he's been surprisingly physical and seems to really enjoy separating opponents from the puck. After all, the guy is built like a brick **** house, it takes dedication to look like he does. His workout regime must be outlandish. That's a lot of body sculpting for a guy who is labeled lazy and uninspired.

P.K is the real deal, and only getting better. The cost of acquiring him, from a Flyers perspective went way up from our pipedream Coots for P.K potential trade that had everyone all worked up last summer. As good and solid as Coots has been of late, P.K would demand much more than Coots. I could see Voracek, Coots, Cousins and a  high pick....or something very close to that package (maybe 3 of the 4 mentioned with Jake being a certainty) . Of course, I would never want the Flyers to give up that much in a package, but DAMN...would his slap shot be NICE on our top pp unit!!

People that think he is lazy and selfish, well, they are just not watching close enough. He has grown by leaps and bounds in the past 12 months. The kid is a warrior with some of the highest top end speed in the game today.

I've seen P.K play 5 times this year. He *is* a changed man. His hustle on defense is nothing short of amazing. He still has a way to go maturity wise, but damn...he is straight up desperate to get the puck out of his end. At this point, the bashers are just bashing without really taking the time to watch him closely. He has this nice mean streak when defending in the defensive zone, he's been surprisingly physical and seems to really enjoy separating opponents from the puck. After all, the guy is built like a brick **** house, it takes dedication to look like he does. His workout regime must be outlandish. That's a lot of body sculpting for a guy who is labeled lazy and uninspired.

P.K is the real deal, and only getting better. The cost of acquiring him, from a Flyers perspective went way up from our pipedream Coots for P.K potential trade that had everyone all worked up last summer. As good and solid as Coots has been of late, P.K would demand much more than Coots. I could see Voracek, Coots, Cousins and a high pick....or something very close to that package (maybe 3 of the 4 mentioned with Jake being a certainty) . Of course, I would never want the Flyers to give up that much in a package, but DAMN...would his slap shot be NICE on our top pp unit!!

People that think he is lazy and selfish, well, they are just not watching close enough. He has grown by leaps and bounds in the past 12 months. The kid is a warrior with some of the highest top end speed in the game today.

Amen.

I dunno why some are so critical of Subban.  All you have to do is watch him play.  He's a pistol.