Giroux snubs media

murraycraven

@murraycraven

@canoli

I honestly have a gut feeling that if Giroux continues to struggle they will package him another player and look to get a monster return. Again, I do not want that one bit at all as I do not think Giroux's struggles are indicative of his talent level. I hate seeing stupid Hartnell on his wing turning over the puck every chance he gets too. I saw the look of frustration a few times on Giroux's face when Hartnell made a stupid move. It was easier when Jagr could contain the puck and all Hartnell had to do was plop his butt in front of the net. Anyhow, I do digress, Giroux is a goner. The contract says it all.

Sadly you may be correct. Would love to see Hartnell gone, but who would take that hideous contract. I could drug him into waiving his NMC/NTC clause. ;)

• Like 1

Sadly you may be correct. Would love to see Hartnell gone, but who would take that hideous contract. I could drug him into waiving his NMC/NTC clause. ;)

Bert / Doc... 

As much as I am killing G these days (deservedly so) I think it would be a mistake to trade him.  A player of his skill and talent does not simply lose his ability to play, right?   I mean, I really do not know what to think of any of this anymore.  It is a preplexing situation...

• Like 1

The media coverage today is a joke. Giroux talks to the media after almost every game, on off days and at practice, and the one time he doesn't want to, the press destroys him.

They're a joke.

I don't agree that press coverage has turned into little more than kids on the school yard arguing. It's pretty, they ask questions they know won't get answered (who Chip Kelly each week is starting for example) and do it just because they know it will piss the person off, and get into these little personal wars when the person doesn't give them what they want. 

However, if a guy literally flees the arena, which is what G is rumored to have done, he deserved to get destroyed.

Bert / Doc...

As much as I am killing G these days (deservedly so) I think it would be a mistake to trade him. A player of his skill and talent does not simply lose his ability to play, right? I mean, I really do not know what to think of any of this anymore. It is a preplexing situation...

Agreed! I'm not advocating that G be moved, however the M.O. Of current management strongly suggests that this could be a very real possibility.

• Like 1

However, if a guy literally flees the arena, which is what G is rumored to have done, he deserved to get destroyed.

"rumored"? by whom? Sam Carchidi? Fk him.

I'm not defending Giroux for blowing off the media. I'm also not surprised or bothered that he did. He'll pay his little fine and that'll be it - or would be if these lame Philly writers would let it alone. But Carchidi apparentely got personally insulted - that's how his column reads to me anyway. So instead of writing something that shows a little understanding of Giroux's actions, speculate on what he and Ed talked about, etc. - and cut the guy some slack in the process...NO, Carchidi writes the typical "let's blow it up into melodrama" Flyers article.

• Like 1

Agreed! I'm not advocating that G be moved, however the M.O. Of current management strongly suggests that this could be a very real possibility.

That is my underlying fear here too...  we have history on our side so I think it would be foolish to just brush it off like there was not a chance.   I am getting more and more confused w/ each passing day.  I just don't understand how this Team got to be so dreadful.   I always thought that they were not a playoff team (at best a 6-8 seed) but I never thought they would be this bad.  

It is just shocking...   Is there something going on in the room?  Do the players not like G?  Do they hate the management group?   I mean something is clearly wrong...   ugly situation.  

god only knows what the hell is wrong with this team. Apparently Ed sold the Flyers soul in 1973, made a bargain that sounded good at the time...You get to win TWO Stanley Cups! Not just 1 but TWO!! You'll be a dynasty! You'll show all those pansies who said it couldn't be done, you'll show them how you can brawl your way to the Cup!

the fine print - "no Flyers' team will ever win the Stanley Cup again" - well Ed figured he'd eventually be in a position to rewrite the contract or at least buy it out. We're still waiting.

I thought this was a very telling tweet from puck daddy:

Greg Wyshynski‏@wyshynski10h

Congrats to the LA Kings on their eventual acquisition of Claude Giroux.

That is not funny. The thought of Carter. Richards, and Roo together on the Kings makes me wanna puke.

Hate to say it and I do not agree with it at all, but mark my words Giroux will be moved before the contract extension kicks in. Which in my mind stinks and it just goes to show the state of this organization.

If that happens, I will be honestly done as a Flyers fan.

Oh how would that be my Christmas wish! I know others on here have argued against it saying it would destroy what confidence he has left, but hey, I think he is low as he can go. I agree with others on here. Have no captain this year because quite frankly no one on this team deserves it right now.

I can't imagine anyone would want the C on this team. You're going to wonder if it will be stripped off you or you'll be traded if you struggle talking to this awful Philly sports media just trying to create more drama.

• Like 1

Why? This loss is no different than the other 9 losses, or the OT loss, or even their 4 wins. They're just a bad team. They clearly don't have any answers, and they're out of cliches and platitudes.

Why is it so bad that Giroux didn't want to talk to the press last night? I just don't understand why they're making such a huge deal out of this. Actually, I do understand... they want to sell papers, and nothing sells papers like an controversy and skewering people.

Their stories add no value, and I have no problem with Captain Giroux not talking to them yesterday.

Where I would care is if he's checked out on his teammates... but there's no evidence that that's the case.

So, keep calm and carry on, I guess.

• Like 2

If he doesn't want to be the team leader, to be the captain, and to take on the duties and responsibilities of being that person and to set the right example, I'm ok with it.  I'm not going to bash him for it.  Just take the "C" off your sweater and turn it in.  Sometimes you're just not ready.

"rumored"? by whom? Sam Carchidi? Fk him.

I'm not defending Giroux for blowing off the media. I'm also not surprised or bothered that he did. He'll pay his little fine and that'll be it - or would be if these lame Philly writers would let it alone. But Carchidi apparentely got personally insulted - that's how his column reads to me anyway. So instead of writing something that shows a little understanding of Giroux's actions, speculate on what he and Ed talked about, etc. - and cut the guy some slack in the process...NO, Carchidi writes the typical "let's blow it up into melodrama" Flyers article.

No, the article I read was written by Hayes. It said he took off right after the meeting.

Why? This loss is no different than the other 9 losses, or the OT loss, or even their 4 wins. They're just a bad team. They clearly don't have any answers, and they're out of cliches and platitudes.

Why is it so bad that Giroux didn't want to talk to the press last night? I just don't understand why they're making such a huge deal out of this. Actually, I do understand... they want to sell papers, and nothing sells papers like an controversy and skewering people.

Their stories add no value, and I have no problem with Captain Giroux not talking to them yesterday.

Where I would care is if he's checked out on his teammates... but there's no evidence that that's the case.

So, keep calm and carry on, I guess.

I think it is just another example of how bad a leader he has been. I do agree with you that they are just trying to sell papers and that they will blow the situation up to do that, but it doesn't mean he still didn't do it. To his credit though, he hasn't reached Richards level of being bad with the media yet imo. He's been nothing but professional with them and blowing them off once is not the end of the world.

No, the article I read was written by Hayes. It said he took off right after the meeting.

I read the same thing - here is the quote from the article (although I despise M Hayes):

"

The Flyers, assumedly led by Captain Claude, held a players-only meeting after their mind-numbing, 3-0 loss to the visiting Devils. Afterward, Giroux was seen heading into the training room, assumedly to regroup before addressing the press.  Soon thereafter, Flyers staffers told the press that Giroux had left the building."

there are two articles boo-hooing over Claude not speaking to the media one is by Sam the other is by Marcus.  You read the one with the festive references to camelot and King Arthur, Canoli read the woe-is me Claude is a bad captain , bad... you're a bad captain article from Carchidi.

they're both... fine examples of sports journalism.

there are two articles boo-hooing over Claude not speaking to the media one is by Sam the other is by Marcus.  You read the one with the festive references to camelot and King Arthur, Canoli read the woe-is me Claude is a bad captain , bad... you're a bad captain article from Carchidi.

they're both... fine examples of sports journalism.

What I'm seeing in your post is "I don't like these journalists, therefore they are making it up." Sorry, I just don't subscribe to that line of thinking.

I read the same thing - here is the quote from the article (although I despise M Hayes):

"

The Flyers, assumedly led by Captain Claude, held a players-only meeting after their mind-numbing, 3-0 loss to the visiting Devils. Afterward, Giroux was seen heading into the training room, assumedly to regroup before addressing the press.  Soon thereafter, Flyers staffers told the press that Giroux had left the building."

First of all, why the F is Marcus Hayes covering hockey? I though the was a football guy?

I don't like him either, but it doesn't really matter.