Larionov Fuels Yakupov Trade Rumours

EDI-Flyer

Apparently Igor Larionov is heading to Edmonton to discuss how Nail Yakupov is being used... Let the trade rumours commence...

For the record I think it is ridiculous that this is even being mentioned unless it is Larionov's way of trying to take the heat of Yakupov. Even then I think it is counterproductive at best.

Given his struggles defensively it is hardly surprising that his ice time has been cut and he is playing on the 3rd or 4th line.

Despite a strong insistence from Oilers coach Dallas Eakins last week that Nail Yakupov is in no danger of being traded but is just working through some growing pains, the Yakupov soap opera won't die.

Yakupov's agent Igor Larionov was on hand for the Hockey Hall of Fame festivities in Toronto on Monday night and ESPN's Craig Custance caught up with the former great to discuss Yakupov. Things could be getting a lot more interesting.

Craig Custance @CraigCustance

Igor Larionov says he's got a trip planned to Edmonton to discuss how Nail Yakupov is being used. Pretty unhappy.

Welp, that doesn't sound too good. Sometimes things can be hashed out and understandings can be reached but any time an agent feels the need to essentially vent to a team about his client's role and is said to be unhappy, it's not a positive sign.

Larionov didn't stop there, though.

Craig Custance @CraigCustance

If EDM unhappy with him, Larionov said Yak open to trade: "We're willing to make a move. Any team. That happens and that's part of life."

With that the ears of 29 general managers across the league perked up to pay attention.

Already some are getting worked up but I'd preach caution here. The important part of that tweet is where it says if Edmonton is unhappy. Eakins didn't sound like a guy who was unhappy with Yakupov and his career trajectory. However if Larionov says he and Yakupov are already at the point of considering it, it doesn't bode well.

Yakupov gave a reminder on Sunday night why it would probably be very unwise to trade Yakupov away with a bullet of a one-timer on the power play for an Oilers goal. However those have been too infrequent this season as it was just the second goal and fourth point in 17 games.

For the time being, the book remains open on the Yakupov buzz; it doesn't help that the Oilers continue to struggle as well.

Those Russians not only do they speak that "moon man" language they think so differently about things.  :ph34r:

Larianov probably thinks he's helping his client's cause through his actions when really he's souring a pile of north american coaches and gms .

Kid has skill and it is not being used grinding on the 3rd line in Alberta...he came over to play major junior because the NHL was the goal, I don't think ultimately the Oil was his "idea" when as a 16 year old  he left mother Russia.

I don't know, if I was a GM he's a tough case to figure; the talent is intoxicating but his Russian-ness is reason to tread carefully when considering a trade He could pull a Kovalchuk and then you lose him , and  your assets...pouts about his role as we're seeing here and Zherdev's you.  Certainly not the same as dealing with a "quality north american" kid that's for sure.

tricky situation. 

I think Edmonton should deal him for a power forward type and a defenceman. Or a goalie and one of the two previously mentioned. It would improve their team immensely. One of those forwards has to go to change the dynamics. I'd definately keep Hall, RNH and Eberle if I was the Oilers. That leaves Yakupov, Gagner and Hemsky...if you can get rid of him.

Those Russians not only do they speak that "moon man" language they think so differently about things.  :ph34r:

Larianov probably thinks he's helping his client's cause through his actions when really he's souring a pile of north american coaches and gms .

Kid has skill and it is not being used grinding on the 3rd line in Alberta...he came over to play major junior because the NHL was the goal, I don't think ultimately the Oil was his "idea" when as a 16 year old  he left mother Russia.

I don't know, if I was a GM he's a tough case to figure; the talent is intoxicating but his Russian-ness is reason to tread carefully when considering a trade He could pull a Kovalchuk and then you lose him , and  your assets...pouts about his role as we're seeing here and Zherdev's you.  Certainly not the same as dealing with a "quality north american" kid that's for sure.

tricky situation. 

Absolutely agreed.

Certainly not the same as dealing with a "quality north american" kid that's for sure.

Like one that refuses to play for the team that drafted him and forces a trade before he plays a game for them?

Jus' sayin' ;)

• Like 1

@brelic

we were joking about this last evening in game chat.

the Lindros situation is certainly the exception to the "quality north american " Grapes all rights reserved  player argument.

the talented Russian player is more of a crap shoot because of the KHL .  Stay home , speak "moon man", make boat loads of rubels.  

The day that the KHL can make a legitimate offer to a top flight North American prospect and have them choose the KHL over the NHL will be the watershed moment for the sport.

The general feeling is that it will "never happen" - that the lure of The Cup is too strong for Canadians and Americans.

But I'm wondering when the "live tax free" and make boat loads of rubles will take precedence.

As it is, the lure of the KHL for Russian players is a certain concern. Kovalchuk's just the biggest name - he won't be the last.

Point-form:

-Yakupov has struggled defensively, and even got the press box for two games. He is also far from the only one who has struggled to adapt to the new system, yet is the only one being benched. In just the last few games alone, Sam Gagner and Jordan Eberle have made horrific slot passes for opponent one-timers right in front of the net. Their minutes don't get cut nor are they sat out.

-He is moved up and down the roster, LW and RW... It must be tough to gain consistency in your game when you're being dealt with in an inconsistent way.

-Hall, Eberle, Hopkins and especially Justin Schultz were given tons of minutes to learn with early in their career, in a consequence-free environment. This is a luxury not afforded to Yakupov.

-I feel bad for the kid in certain ways. He's described by those around the team as a sensitive kid. Yet, there he was, abandoned by team AND Larionov, and left to fend for himself in a second language with media all around him, all because his agent talked to the press and told them he was flying to Edmonton.

-People can say what they like, but he clearly gives a damn. He's expressed frustration at not being given as much opportunity as he hopes for, to help the team.

JR

Point-form:

-Yakupov has struggled defensively, and even got the press box for two games. He is also far from the only one who has struggled to adapt to the new system, yet is the only one being benched. In just the last few games alone, Sam Gagner and Jordan Eberle have made horrific slot passes for opponent one-timers right in front of the net. Their minutes don't get cut nor are they sat out.

-He is moved up and down the roster, LW and RW... It must be tough to gain consistency in your game when you're being dealt with in an inconsistent way.

-Hall, Eberle, Hopkins and especially Justin Schultz were given tons of minutes to learn with early in their career, in a consequence-free environment. This is a luxury not afforded to Yakupov.

-I feel bad for the kid in certain ways. He's described by those around the team as a sensitive kid. Yet, there he was, abandoned by team AND Larionov, and left to fend for himself in a second language with media all around him, all because his agent talked to the press and told them he was flying to Edmonton.

-People can say what they like, but he clearly gives a damn. He's expressed frustration at not being given as much opportunity as he hopes for, to help the team.

JR

Teams often make self-fulfilling prophecies about players by playing them out of position, never giving them consistent ice time or linemates and insisting that a Top 6 forward play 3/4 line and then complain about his defense. Lord knows we've seen that in Philadelphia...

I'm not a particular fan of the player and don't want to take on the risk, but he's clearly got talent and his efforts with Sarnia indicate he wanted to play the North American game.

There is an obvious prejudice against Russian players (I'll admit to mine, at least) but the ones that work out - Malkin, Ovechkin, Gonchar, etc. - are generally seen as great assets to their teams (obviously the Red Army Wings as well). Then there are the Zherdevs and Radulovs of the world that just give ammo to the doubters.

As with any great talent, I hope it works out and we get some entertaining hockey.

good insight, thanks.

• 2 years later...