Pegula: Rolston/Regier OUT, Nolan/LaFontaine IN

radoran

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24227814/report-sabres-parting-ways-with-rolston-gm-regier-to-rehire-nolan-lafontaine

In what would be a series of franchise-altering moves, The Buffalo News is reporting a massive shake-up in the Sabres' office.

Buffalo is reportedly set to part ways with coach Ron Rolston and longtime GM Darcy Regier, the fourth-longest tenured GM in the NHL.

As an immediate replacement, the team will reportedly re-hire former coach Ted Nolan and former Sabres legend Pat LaFontaine as the president of team operations.

LaFontaine's No. 16 was retired by the Sabres after playing for the team from 1991-1997.

That's HUGE, Buffalo - HUGE!

And I mean a better deal than you get at Fucillo's HUGE.

I love the moves! I never felt Nolan should have been out of the coaching ranks, no way are there 30 better coaches in the NHL. He deserves this. The fact that he is willing to accept this on an interim basis with the proviso that he will be running the club for the rest of this season allowing Lafontaine time to chose his GM and the right coach for the organization is a classy move. Nolan is the man.

The choice of Lafontaine is a classy move as well, he has always been a favorite, the Wings missed on him and had to 'settle' with Stevie Y in the 1983 draft, now both are running franchises. Wonder if the two of them will make a trade at some point.

GM candidates, I am surprised Lafontaine has said that he has a short list already, Norm Maciver, assistant to Stan Bowman in Chicago deserves some consideration, smart hockey mind. Brian Burke would have been my top choice before he signed with Calgary as Feasters right hand man.

I guess Pegula finally figured out that Reiger, Rolston and the inferior on ice product were damaging his Brand. Regier should have been fired the second Pegula signed on as owner of the team.

How ironic that both are fired on the very night the Sabres win their first home game of the 2013-14 season! "Congrats on pulling out a gritty win, now step into my office gentlemen." :)

Edited by Samifan
  • Like 1

Not so sure where Buffalo goes from here or how long it will take this franchise to get back to a respectable compete level, but SOMETHING had to be done with not only the previous management group, but the attitude overall on the team.

Ted Nolan IS known as a players' coach, a guy not afraid to tell it like it is, and a guy who won't settle for anything less than 100 % effort and caring on the part of his players.

Couple Nolan's gritty, workmanlike mindset with LaFontaine's more finesse and eye for a talent based franchise, and the Sabres may have the makings of something good going here.

Make no mistake, this franchise WILL lose a whole lot more before all is said and done...these coach and GM firings are just the tip of the iceberg most likely.

There probably needs to be a cleansing of the clubhouse in terms of not only salary, but more importantly, 'dead weight' in the attitude department if this team is to move forward once again.

Quote from the presser with Ted Nolan:

“The players owe it, we get paid pretty well to do what we do and the only thing you have to do is work for a hockey game. Some guys play 20 to 25 minutes, what’s 25 minutes? Sometimes we take life for granted. There’s people out there working seven days a week, 14 hours per day and we have to go to a rink and practice 45 minutes. It’s a great life and the only thing they have to do is compete and if you don’t want to compete, then those are the types of people we don’t need here.”

Nice!

Edited by Samifan

Now I'm making sense? While you were telling us all how great Buffalo was I was one of the guys saying fire Regier,trade Vanek and Miller and blow the whole thing up.

Honestly, I'm just as shocked as anyone that you were finally making sense.
  • Like 1

The sin that kept Nolan from gigs in the NHL was his supposed jump over Muckler's head.  He was a victim of an old boys mentality.  

I'm delighted he's getting a chance at the job for a couple reasons.  First, because he's a good guy who was treated bad.  Secondly, I think he's the ideal type of coach to get the most out of a pretty weak team.

Thirdly, (and most important to me), he's coached and obviously liked Z. 

• Like 1

@Hockey Junkie

You do realize the Flyers coach, "The Chief" is also Native American. So as far as bias goes, I think gms were biased about guys who went over their heads...not because of their ethnicity.

And no, Buffalo doesn't have the talent the Flyers have. Draft picks on the other hand....

This team is not as weak talent wise as you like to pretend.  No weaker than the Flyers or Devils.  But they are far younger and have alot more draft picks.  I am happy for Nolan and I agree he was a victim.  I believe that those that said he was biased against due to his being an Indian were correct to a degree.  He is a great motivator.  I know the Sabres have a bright future.  And I hope the new GM gives Ted a shot.  Cant wait until we get to play some of the weaker teams like philly, and the Devils and Edmonton.   Then we may see so,me wins pile up

That would be "Thursday."

So, you know, good luck with that.