Throw Thornton the book

habsguy26

Laugh at me all you want, but the Thornton incident indeed deserve a 9-1-1 call. That's not hockey, that's street bullying. The play is over, he get in the back of Orpik, make him fall by surprise than punch him to the head, without any reason of notice. That's not a hockey accident, that's against the law, period. 

Laugh, but if nothing is done, Boston players are just gonna keep destroying theirs opponents again and again with only a tiny ridiculous suspension by the NHL as their only consequence.

Edited by habsguy26

Called properly? Orpik's hit was clean and fair game. Blame Eriksson for how he turned to play the puck. Clean hit.

As for Neal I want a close up there. He's not even looking at Marchand when Marchand falls towards the center of the ice. I'll give you Neal will give you the extra cross check or face wash, but kneeing someone in the head? I don't think so.

There is no doubt in my mind what Neal did was 100% deliberate and he actually thought he was getting away with it.  The arm goes up immediately.  Neal is a coward puke, plain and simple.  Quite a bit of skill, but a coward puke.  Anyone actually sees him coming and he'd toward him, he runs away like the scared little piece of crap he is.  Coward.

But sadly, Neal isn't the biggest coward puke on the play.  That "honor" goes to Thornton.  You come up behind someone and throw them down and start wailing on their head.   Didn't there used to be some sort of code that you don't hit someone when they're down?   Emery did it too and it was disgusting then, so this isn't simply trying to point fingers at people on other teams.   That was simply an assault.  

Someone at the league level--whether it's Bettman or Shanny or Dailey or i don't care--need to strap one on and actually step up and do something for one time--the first time--in their lives (post-playing life for Shanny).  They're facing a lawsuit over player safety and if they continue to circle jerk and shove their heads up their collective [censored] it's only going to hurt the league further.

Thornton and Neal both need to spend a significant amount of time out of games.  Both acts were cowardly and in complete disregard for safety or well-being of their fellow players.   Anything less than 20 games for both is an utter joke.

@hf101

@ruxpin

That's a much better view, especially on my phone. I'm thinking Neal sits 3-5 and Thornton 20. Should be assault charges on that one so the league will try to send a message.

I like Neal. I like that edge, the extra stick or smack. I don't like the knee to the head. I know it's Marchand but still. Just uncalled for.

PS). Neal dresses like a French fashion model at the bars... I'm possibly more disappointed in that. ;)

@hf101

@ruxpin

That's a much better view, especially on my phone. I'm thinking Neal sits 3-5 and Thornton 20. Should be assault charges on that one so the league will try to send a message.

I like Neal. I like that edge, the extra stick or smack. I don't like the knee to the head. I know it's Marchand but still. Just uncalled for.

PS). Neal dresses like a French fashion model at the bars... I'm possibly more disappointed in that. ;)

Yeah, I really can't say I feel sorry for the "victim" in this one. But wrong is wrong.

Neal deserves a suspension period. Deliberate cheap hit with the knee to Marchand's hit.

Orpik was at fault for not answering the bell for his hit on Eriksson.

The Refs let this game get out of control by not getting the teams under control early.

Thornton was wrong for pulling Orpik down, but we have seen that exact same thing a million times.

Thornton was WAY wrong fur punching him three times in the head with his glove on and deserves a suspension

So in summary suspend Neal and Thornton, I think thornton will get the book thrown at him and does not deserve it, a couple of games IMHO is the worst he should get.

Orpik bears a lot of the brunt for this game getting out of control, first his hit on Eriksson then running like a coward from Thornton when Thornton attempted to stand up for a teammate. I wish Orpik well, hoping he along with Eriksson are okay but Orpik was the true villain in this piece, a borderline at best hit and refusing to stand up for himself after allowed this game to get out of hand.

• Like 1

I think Shanny will punish based on the result of the plays and not the incidents. While I don't agree with what Thornton did, I think Neal's knee was WAY worse if you look at intent.

Punches with gloved fists happen in damn near every scrum during a game, you just don't see guys get knocked out from them.

I can't wait to hear Neal's excuse this time..."I stuck my knee out trying to avoid hitting him." Coward isn't a strong enough word. He went straight to the bench after the knee and left his teammates to defend themselves in the aftermath.

• Like 1

Thornton will get the book thrown at him. He deserves it, but guys like Neal can look at themselves in the mirror and say 'I caused this". Gutless cheapshot artist who is allowed to do it cause.....why?

If Rinaldo was on the ice there he would have got the trip penalty (Crosby) the knee (Neal) AND a game for the mugging (Thornton)

• Like 1

Thornton will get the book thrown at him. He deserves it, but guys like Neal can look at themselves in the mirror and say 'I caused this". Gutless cheapshot artist who is allowed to do it cause.....why?

If Rinaldo was on the ice there he would have got the trip penalty (Crosby) the knee (Neal) AND a game for the mugging (Thornton)

Absolutely nailed it.

@yave1964

I only saw a tiny bit of the recap, but I agree with you on all those points.

What a nasty game this was ... they'll have to have a second "NHL Rivals" episode on this series because it has gotten even nastier.  THis rivalry was starting to spin out of control during the conference finals last June.