Home and Home + Mid season = Decision Point

Howie58

Howdy:

I was just thinking that tonight's game plus the two coming up with Columbus represent an interesting turning point just before New Year's. The home-and-home are an interesting experiment. Washington provides a test against one the league's upper-middle class; on paper, Columbus is a team in our performance space (maybe even an under-performer).  I take Snider at face value when he says there is careful scrutiny. March 5th is coming sooner than we think.  Putting aside LTC issues, I don't see anybody on this roster as safe.  Given next year's salary cap increase plus the probably falling off of some D, I could see Holmgren pulling off some moves for one of his patented revamps. Frankly, I don't see any late season turnaround-last minute playoff runs from this crew. I think we are seeing the maximum effort.  

Howie

Unless it involves getting rid of one of his stupid contracts I don't want Holmgren making any trades.

Players that need to go if not at the trade deadline then the end of the season

1) Mezsaros, I am hoping he is moved by the trade deadline even if nothing is rxed in return....there has got to be some team out there with injuries that has room for him as a rental til the end of the season(Pittsburgh comes to mind with their slew of d-man injuries).

2) Timmonen should not be resigned again.....at least not as a top pairing d-man. If the Flyers are out of the playoff picture, I could see him moved to a contender to finish out the season. However, I would consider a one year deal for him if the money drops down to 1.5 mil for one year with his minutes played dropping also at the end of his rental.

3)Rosehill needs to go. The Flyers ice enough tough players to hold their own and if you need a heavyweight, bring one up as needed from the Phantoms. His one dimensional play taxes the other 3 lines on the ice.

4) With Raffl's play, Hartnell and his immovable contract are going to make him the highest paid 4th liner in the league. I would like to move him but I don't count that as an option.

That would/will free up around 11 mil going into next season........

• Like 1

1) Mezsaros, I am hoping he is moved by the trade deadline even if nothing is rxed in return....there has got to be some team out there with injuries that has room for him as a rental til the end of the season(Pittsburgh comes to mind with their slew of d-man injuries).

2) Timmonen should not be resigned again.....at least not as a top pairing d-man. If the Flyers are out of the playoff picture, I could see him moved to a contender to finish out the season. However, I would consider a one year deal for him if the money drops down to 1.5 mil for one year with his minutes played dropping also at the end of his rental.

3)Rosehill needs to go. The Flyers ice enough tough players to hold their own and if you need a heavyweight, bring one up as needed from the Phantoms. His one dimensional play taxes the other 3 lines on the ice.

4) With Raffl's play, Hartnell and his immovable contract are going to make him the highest paid 4th liner in the league. I would like to move him but I don't count that as an option.

I think you guys are stuck with Meszaros.  As for the Pens as an option? No cap room. No need. Engelland has only a handful of games left on his suspension.  Martin will be back by the end of January at the latest.  Scuderi is expected back after Christmas.  Plus, the rookies have played well.

I think you guys are stuck with Meszaros.  As for the Pens as an option? No cap room. No need. Engelland has only a handful of games left on his suspension.  Martin will be back by the end of January at the latest.  Scuderi is expected back after Christmas.  Plus, the rookies have played well.

I could see someone that needs a Dman taking him near the deadline, for next to nothing.  He'd be cheap/experienced playoff help for someone, and he's a UFA--so no long-term commitment involved.  Other than that, I don't see a market for him either.  

The only thing I want Homer doing (and FC eluded to this) is trying to move one of the bad contracts.   If he can get someone to take Hartnell and/or Streit that would be a huge win in my book.  I know both would have to waive the NTC but at least give it a try.  Maybe a playoff Team would be dumb enough to take on those contracts - I can wish right?   Other than that I want Homer to be patient...   If there was a deal that could bring a top line Winger (aka:  Sniper) I would be willing but I just don't see that happening...

Enough w/ the constant revolving door... let the young group grow together and focus on the draft.

As for the Pens as an option? No cap room.

I was looking at the injuries(listed) last night in the game they played Toronto and thought with LTIR they would have room if they weren't getting any of the missing back any time soon. The only thing I expect to get back from a Mez trade is his money off the cap. I think he will be a solid rental for some team and then he is gone at the end of the season anyhow......

I could see Mez going as a rental. Any team who thinks they have a chance at a run could use depth on D whether they have injuries or not.

Timonen- agree on all points.

Rosehill - after watching him play for the Leafs I wondered why on earth Holmgren would want him...you could get 30 Rosehills  out of the A. His first game for Philly he actually played quite well (for him) and I thought OK. Of course reality has come back and he has no place in the NHL.

Hartnell would be a very useful player to a team like the Habs who need some toughness up front for a playoff run. But I can't see anyone being stupid enough to take that contract on. Especially the Habs after the Gomez debacle.

@flyercanuck

I tried to avoid the TRADE HARTNELL due to his NMC...same with all of the other NMC's...I think Hartnell's play is going to pick up but he is going to be hard pressed to bump Vinny off of the Schenn/Simmonds line and he is not going to be bumping anyone off of the Read/Downie/Couturier line either. If Raffl's play continues at his current rate or anything even remotely close, Hartnell's only place is bumping Rosehill off the 4th line......

I was looking at the injuries(listed) last night in the game they played Toronto and thought with LTIR they would have room if they weren't getting any of the missing back any time soon. The only thing I expect to get back from a Mez trade is his money off the cap. I think he will be a solid rental for some team and then he is gone at the end of the season anyhow......

Ahhh.  Luckily none of the Pens are on LTIR. Everyone who was out for that game is expected back at some point this season.

@flyerrod

IF (I couldn't be bothered biggie-sizing it, but it's a big if) Hartnells play comes around there might be a gm who thinks that's all they need to go on a long run. He is a pain in the arse to play against, a great guy to have on your team personality-wise, and if he can start scoring...well, that's where his value really comes in. It's a bad contract, but then again so was Gomez'...and the Rangers got rid of it AND picked up McDonaugh in the process.

• Like 1

Remember that a bad contract is more moveable now with a team able to take back some of the salary and/or cap hit. So moving Hartnell (if he agrees) would be more possible if the Flyers were willing to retain, say, 2 million of his salary. They could also do this in the short term if they were to move Timonen or Meszaros at the deadline. Since the money comes off the books in June anyway, retaining that cap hit wouldn't hurt too much.

• Like 1