5 still alive

colorado_al

Ok I've been pretty hard on Coburn lately ( jusified I think ) but it's only fair for me to say I think he played better last night.

He actually hit someone..( I don't mind penalties as long as they send a message.)   He also took a shot and got an assist out of it.... Both good steps in the right direction.

Now hopefully he keeps going in the right direction.

Ok I've been pretty hard on Coburn lately

me too and he looks better still can be more consistent and confident he still looks panicky at times...but i see improvement. he needs to keep firing them wristers and get away from them slappers so much, the last goal he scored was a wrist shot from up high...the G goal the other night was a tip off his wrister that slipped past the glove...he learns to lean on people more the better he'll be.

Glad to see Coburn getting some recognition.... I will repeat what I have said a thousand times - if Coburn were not part of this s defense we would have the worst defense in the league. If get why people get frustrated but he is a very good player and not someone I am willing to move...

He is a good player and be deserves the respect....

• Like 2

Glad to see Coburn getting some recognition.... I will repeat what I have said a thousand times - if Coburn were not part of this s defense we would have the worst defense in the league. If get why people get frustrated but he is a very good player and not someone I am willing to move...

Agreed. He has been the #1 and GrossmanN is #2.

Agreed. He has been the #1 and GrossmanN is #2.

Agree AK!   I am not overlooking his weaknesses bc he has them.  I have always waited for him to be a true #1 bc of his skill set - skating, passing, etc...  He has skill and I think he takes a lot of flack (Like Carle did) but he is the best defender on this Team along w/ Grossman.

I am not overlooking his weaknesses bc he has them.

http://thats-offside.blogspot.ca/2013/06/defense-defensemen-and-draft.html?m=1

As an aside, I always find it fascinating to look at the guys who are the anomalies. Here, they are the guys in the top left and lower right quadrants. How did the low-scoring guys make it? How did the high-scoring guys fail? Here are some of the explanations for why the outliers are outliers:

How they made it:
- Kris Letang (62nd overall, 2005) and Marc-Edouard Vlasic (35th overall, 2005) both had less than 0.5 Pts/GP in their draft years, but surged to over a point per game the very next season. Despite falling in the "unlikely to make it" category, they still both had a history of putting up big offensive numbers in junior.
- Marc Staal (12th overall, 2005), Dion Phaneuf (9th overall, 2003) and Travis Hamonic (53rd overall, 2008) all also had less than 0.5 Pts/GP in their draft years, but all reached above 0.6 Pts/GP by the time their draft +2 seasons had ended. Phaneuf and Hamonic were better than a point per game in their final years of junior.
- Braydon Coburn (8th overall, 2003) definitely had a down year in his draft season. He only scored 19 points in 53 games in 02-03, but had more than 0.5 Pts/GP every other year of his WHL career.

How they missed:
- Andrew Campbell (74th overall, 2008) was drafted as an overage '85 birthday in the '87 draft class after scoring 35 points in 68 games. In his first draft eligible season, he had 4 points. Danny Syvret (81st overall, 2005) is a similar case.
- Jesse Lane (91st overall, 2002) had a very promising 0.84 Pts/GP in his draft year, however decided to quit hockey to pursue his studies once Carolina declined to offer him an entry level contract after a strong junior career.
- Ivan Vishnevskiy (27th overall, 2006) is the only player in the bottom right group to leave for the KHL. He most recently played in North America for Chicago's AHL affiliate.
- Some players were drafted high after an obvious outlier season. Examples include Alex Plante (15th overall, 2007), Dustin Kohn (46th overall, 2005), Martin Vagner (26th overall, 2002) and Josh Godfrey (34th overall, 2007).
- Other players in this bottom right group may just have yet to establish themselves as full-time NHL players. Guys who are close to full-time duty include Thomas Hickey (4th overall, 2007) and Bob Sanguinetti (21st overall, 2006).

Just a segment of the link above about defensemen...your head may explode!!!!!

Ok I've been pretty hard on Coburn lately ( jusified I think ) but it's only fair for me to say I think he played better last night.

He actually hit someone..( I don't mind penalties as long as they send a message.)   He also took a shot and got an assist out of it.... Both good steps in the right direction.

Now hopefully he keeps going in the right direction.

He is what he is at this point in his career. He goes through long periods of time where he's not much of a factor and sometimes a bad player, but he also goes through spurts where he looks really good. I wouldn't expect him to play at that level all of the time. If he hasn't done it at this point in his career, he isn't going to.

Well after his first play tonight, I was going to take back the nice things I said about Coburn

Thank God they had Bryz last night otherwise i think the Flyers walk away with zero points!!

YEAH BRYZ!!!!!!!!

But honestly i have a hard time deciding who looked worse last night Coburn on his gaff on Streit getting turned inside out!!!

Man looked bad on that...still waiting for this guy to justify Homer inking him to this albatross of a contact!!!!

Also GrosmanN scored on Mason nice job Nick so all 3 goal the Flyers Dmen were involved in some way or another....NO GUYS THE NET TO SCORE ON IS IN THE OTHER END!!!!!

TURN AROUND YOU'RE FACING THE WRONG WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There that should help!

AMEN to that... sometimes it seems the D is playing for the other guys.... they don't close on the puck when they have the chance... they back away and help screen our goalie instead... and not to mention passing the puck to the wrong team.

Don't get me started.... I'll be drinking early tonight.

I'm with you. I can't figure out why folks on this NORAD like trashing our best players. Maybe they're just trolling penguins fans with nothing better to do.

coby leads the team in oral shifts per game and ice time per game.

He's got almost two more minutes per game than G and Timmo.

The flyers d plays a pretty evenly distributed game and viroid takes a lot of shifts for a forward, but the fact tha coburn is put out there more than anyone else is a clear indication of his abilities and the responsibilities being placed on him.

He's the team's top defensively minded D man. Period.

Streit and Timmo have many more points, but coburn is the load bearing, all situations type guy right now.

I will however beg everyone's pardon for not coming to defend Luke Schenn an mezaros if folks want to pick on them.

Andrej has been hurt for three years, but that's not a defense. That's part of the criticism.