Your favourite series ever

habsguy26

favorite series ever, 1997 when the Wings absolutely laid it to the Legion of broom 4 games to zilch, absolutely outplaying, outcoaching and outeverythinging them in every one of the twelve periods. after so many close but no cigars it was great to see my Wings win and know about halfway through game two that the series was already over, and we had 2 1/2 games to enjoy the celebration ahead of us.

non Wings series for me, my favorite a tie between when the upstart Wild upset the mighty Avalanche in 2003, and any post season that ends without a cup for Sid, something I certainly have in common with the Flyers fans in here.....

• Like 1

@Chicago Hawkie

Last year the Hawks/Wings series was a classic. Overtime game 7, tough take no quarter attitude, Bollig/Cleary going at it non stop, Shaw coming in to his own, just a magnificent series the type that hockey needs to sell itself. I give the Hawks credit for taking the series and then the cup, but wow was I proud of my boys for the way they pushed your Hawks harder and further than any other club in the post season.

• 2 weeks later...

Why are the following series my Blackhawks favorite?

2013 Hawks-Bruins

I liked this one because it was an Original Six matchup.  Original Six playoff matchups are becoming more and more of a rarity, particularly in the Western Conference since the Hawks are now the only O6 team in the conference.  That alone gave this Finals matchup penty of intrigue.

2013 Hawks-Wings

An Original Six playoff matchup - between two historic archrivals.  What more is there to say?  I was going back and forth over the phone with my dad and brother over this.  My dad was to work a golf tournament in Alabama on the following week and told me he expected to see the Blackhawks there ... but I think he saw his Wings there instead.  :lol:

2010 Hawks-Flyers

In 1997, the Wings faced the Flyers in the Cup finals and ended a 42-year drought.  Likewise, the Hawks ended a lengthy Cup drought against the Flyers.

2010 Hawks-Canucks

This was part of the Hawks-Canucks rivalry.  This series went back and forth, with each team getting a blowout win in the series.  The Chicago media had a field day with this series, as well. especially after the Hawks won one of those games 7-4.  :D  The Canucks had the last laugh vs. the Hawks in the playoffs in the following year, however (That was perhaps my favorite Blackhawks playoff series that the Hawks lost).

Edited by Chicago Hawkie

Even though I was only six at the time, it has to be the '93 Leafs-Kings series. Because **** me.

Totally kidding.

It's like the pinnacle of modern Leaf hockey, ending in tragedy, that so many Leaf fans still bellyache about. How sad is that?

In (not so) recent history, I'd have to say the 2002 Leafs vs. Islanders series with all the violence. I can't believe how much they let slide in that series, but it was intense hockey.

• 3 months later...

Even though I was only six at the time, it has to be the '93 Leafs-Kings series. Because **** me.

Totally kidding.

It's like the pinnacle of modern Leaf hockey, ending in tragedy, that so many Leaf fans still bellyache about. How sad is that?

In (not so) recent history, I'd have to say the 2002 Leafs vs. Islanders series with all the violence. I can't believe how much they let slide in that series, but it was intense hockey.

I enjoyed the Leafs vs Wings first round that year a lot as a kid. Man, Coffey could still skate, Gilmour was unreal and him and Konstantinov were laying into each other a lot. Gilmour lined up against Yzerman a lot in that series too. Rangers vs Devils and Canucks in 94 were both sweet. Messier's hat trick in the third period after guaranteeing a win was an incredible feat of will.

When Yzerman and the wings finally won the cup was incredible. Same with Colorado vs the Devils when Bourque won the cup. When Sakic took the cup and skated it right to Bourque, it was an incredible moment.

Christmas has me feeling nostalgic. What was your favourite series of all time?

Secondly, what was your favourite series of all time, not-including the Philadelphia Flyers?

Colorado-Wings (insert any playoff year, but the ones with Crawford - Bowman at the helm were classics)

Habs - Flyers (80's, forget year, but the series with the pre-game brawl and Hextall clubbing Chelios at the end of the series for taking out Propp). 

Flyers - Oilers 87- David v. Goliath. Hextall Conne Smythe of the tournament. 

Flyers - Tampa- Forget what year,  but it was a blood bath. Lindros was a monster. 

Favorite Flyers series:

Flyers-Senators 2004

Flyers-Bruins 2010

Flyers-Sabres 1975 :P

Otherwise:

Habs-Kings 1993 - fellow UVM alum JLC with two OT game winners :D

Tampa-Calgary 2004 - fellow UVM alum MSL wins Cup

Avs-Devils 2001 - Ray Bourque wins a Cup, Devils lose

93 Habs to me the worst team to ever win a Cup.  How you can leave the 94 Rangers/Devils classic off the list is beyond me.  But your smiley face next to the 1975 win against us, you must remember Buffalo was only in the league 5 years.  Not bad getting to the finals that fast.  And you can go look up the stats, we outplayed you badly.  I mean the ice was tilted. 

Because I don't give a rat's ass about the Rangers or the Devils. The question wasn't "best playoff series ever" it was "FAVORITE playoff series ever."

And you're really, really good with excuses. I love people who insist that they "outplayed" the team they lost to.

You know what they give out for that?

Nothing.

Parent was the ONLY reason you won

Which means one important thing.

They won.

I am only saying we outplayed you guys big time.  Far worse than St louis outplayed Chicago last night.  I do not knoiw if you or your paison are old enough to have seen that series?  I did.  They were on the Flyers like a cheap suit.  Parent was by far the better goalie and that is why you won the series.  Including the fog game 1-0

28-22 Buffalo, 24-19 Philly, 46-33 Buffalo OT, 27-25 Buffalo, 26-24 Philly, 32-31 Buffalo. Looks pretty even shotwise to me except one OT game and even that averages to about 3 more shots a period The games averaged 27-22 shots for Buffalo. Doesn't really show the total domination you recall does it?

. The fog game was the 5-4 OT game.

OK.  I looked it up.  The deciding game was the one that was actually 2-0 as I forgot you guys put one into the empty net.  It was 1-0 til right near the end.  We outshot you badly.  the Encyclopedia says the /Flyers were outgunned.  Parent was the series.  

Ya, the Sabres put an amazing ONE more shot on net in the 2-0 game. 32-31 Incredible!

@Hockey Junkie

I would have thought you were going to mention the Stars/Sabres series in 1999, the one that ended with Brett Hull in the crease. That was actually a pretty memorable series though truth be told after the Wings and then the Avalanche got knocked out I lost interest. Back then I rooted for the Wings and then whoever played Colorado.

I loved hating the Avalanche, but more than that I hated their fans. They got the old Nordique club and immediately won the cup in their first season. To me a team should not be allowed to win a cup or even be relevant until they get it handed to them for a decade or longer which is why I rooted against the Lanche and to a lesser degree the Stars.....

By the rules of the day the goal should not have counted.  They know it and even Hull knows it.  The 75 team was far better.  But Hasek was a far better goalie.  I believe it being almost 3 am on a hot June night played into it.  the refs were tired and they wanted it over.  

To me that Cup belongs to Quebec City.  The one Colorado inherited.  Quebec Nordkiques should have been the Cup winners

Do you need a nice selection of cheeses to go with all that whine?

Seriously - man the eff up.

By the rules of the day the goal should not have counted.  They know it and even Hull knows it.  The 75 team was far better.  But Hasek was a far better goalie.  I believe it being almost 3 am on a hot June night played into it.  the refs were tired and they wanted it over.  

To me that Cup belongs to Quebec City.  The one Colorado inherited.  Quebec Nordkiques should have been the Cup winners

Oh those hockey arenas in June. I'm sure the refs wanted to get outside where it was cool

Well I see Vanflyer above is picking Flyer series mainly.  I am picking the best series of all time.  

Sorry, my vernacular / encyclopedia brain is not as expanse as yours. I neither have the will / or desire to go through all the annals of hockey foredoom. I merely cited the few that came to my head- that I watched, that came to my mind. There are many more I missed, but WTF, you must be father time or have too much time on your hands to have watched every effing series played. 

by the way, the last time I checked, the Flyers have dominated Buffalo to an astounding 7 wins - 3 losses in the playoffs. 

Maybe you should be eating some grouper. 

I loved hating the Avalanche, but more than that I hated their fans. They got the old Nordique club and immediately won the cup in their first season. To me a team should not be allowed to win a cup or even be relevant until they get it handed to them for a decade or longer which is why I rooted against the Lanche and to a lesser degree the Stars.

Man are you a complete moron. The Colorado got that team for three reasons: 

1) Marcel Aubut was a complete ass when it came to running a professional hockey organization. 

2) see one above. 

3) See one above and then add into it, he wanted to get some money before losing more of his shirt (I would say balls, but he had none!). Aubut cried poor (not enough revenue, blah blah blah). So he bailed. 

I will 100% agree that the cup should have been Quebecs with the players on the ice. But the divisions changed. blah blah blah. The reality is that Aubut was always in it for himself. Its his money, so who cares. 

What irks me about your post is to say you hated Colorado's fans. Its a crude and ignorant statement. Maybe you think hockey did not exist pre-Avalanche, but it did and does. I played for Colorado College pre Avs. Go to a CC-DU hockey game, of DU gophers or......I could list so much great hockey pre avs (including the Colorado Flames). Idiot.