Is anyone else nervous?

fan4ever

about these upcoming Olympics? 

I see all the news and it terrifies me that we are sending our premier players (and everyone else for that matter) into potential harms way. 

I have a really bad feeling about this and am wondering if anyone else feels the same.  I also have to wonder how the atheletes themselves feel about it, too. 

Am I over reacting?

Hard to say, @fan4ever, but my gut tells me that this is a terrific way to drum up attention/interest in the games that will be on at a weird time and that fewer people (state side) actually really care about.

Honestly, I think it's Y2K scare marketing and little more.

Could something happen?  Sure.  But I remember all the skepticism and pollution complaints, etc. for the Beijing Olympics (also possible political dissent problems), and everyone claimed afterward that it was one of the best Olympics.  It's always possible, and it's certainly in an area for it.  I just don't see anything of real consequence happening.

Hard to say, @fan4ever, but my gut tells me that this is a terrific way to drum up attention/interest in the games that will be on at a weird time and that fewer people (state side) actually really care about.

Honestly, I think it's Y2K scare marketing and little more.

Could something happen?  Sure.  But I remember all the skepticism and pollution complaints, etc. for the Beijing Olympics (also possible political dissent problems), and everyone claimed afterward that it was one of the best Olympics.  It's always possible, and it's certainly in an area for it.  I just don't see anything of real consequence happening.

i wouldn't take these threats lightly  

Certainly don't take them lightly.  Do what you must to ensure safety and security.  But I'll bet my ham sandwich that nothing happens.

the thing is the muslim group making threats is responsible for a bombing a couple of weeks ago

Always a risk factor whenever you have large international events like the Olympics going on.

Was listening to some sports talk shows throughout the day, and most seem of the mindset that the frenzy that is being drummed up due to potential terrorist attacks may have the opposite effect where NOTHING will happen.

Granted, I don't believe anyone should take any potential threats lightly, but still, I wonder if any would-be attackers would want THIS much attention BEFORE they've gotten a chance to actually do anything.

Sure, they want the attention after the fact...but beforehand? Let's hope if there are any zealots out there, they rethink...of course, that DOES mean applying logic to an otherwise ILLOGICAL group of crazies.

On an odd side note, I heard on the radio also that the Russian government issued some sort of statement that said they were NOT guaranteeing the safety of anyone.

I don't know about anyone else, but that isn't a very good way to positively spin any PR your country may receive if you're the flippin host country!

Anyways, my prayers will be out to not only the hockey players going out that way, but ALL athletes.

Those are people just like you and me, they have families back wherever else their homes are, and I just hope these Olympics go without incident worthy of news.

Safe travels and returns to all!

Looks like both Canada and the USA have contingency plans to skip the Olympics should a terrorist act occur before or during the games.

According to Alan Maki of The Globe And Mail, the NHL and its players will reconsider going to Russia if there is a terrorist strike ahead of the Olympic Games. Maki adds that if there’s a significant attack during the Games, the Canadian men’s team will return home.

The United States has reportedly prepared similar plans to extract any citizens from Russia should problems arise.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/25/report-nhl-players-have-contingency-plans-if-violence-strikes-olympic-games/

• 2 weeks later...