I think i hate the Penguins

yave1964

No, on second thought I KNOW I hate the Penguins.

Nothing wrong with a good old fashioned hate. Hell I loved to hate the Avalanche so much back in the day that I still have a hard time saying Patrick Roy or Claude Freaking Lemieux without breaking into a string of vulgarities.

My reason for the hate I have brewing against the Pens is different though, this club whines to the official after every whistle more than any club I have ever seen. Ever is a long time, I have been watching hockey religiously since I was a kid so four decades. They whine about everything, where the faceoff is to be held, they whine about if the popcorn is too stale in section 17. Never before have I seen a team do this constantly on every whistle.

And the other thing they do is try to get a shot in on an opponent after every whistle as well. Again, just like the whining, it seems to be a cheap late shot after EVERY whistle. Kunitz drew four minutes for whacking away on Lundqvist when he had the puck under him, and then whined all the way to the penalty box.

Malkin as the whistle was blown to end overtime and send the game to the shootout tripped a hapless Ranger from behind, drawing a meaningless two minute penalty and skating to the bench with a bemused look on his face, meaningless because as the Penguin announcers pointed out he was still eligible for the shootout (Something that needs corrected if the shootout is to be left in the game) and of course Malkin scored the one goal for the Pens in the shootout which they thankfully lost.

And speaking of announcers these guys were apparently watching a different game than everyone else because the way they went on about how great their team was you would have thought the Pens were up 12-0.

And diving? Don't get me started on James Neal. The man must think the water is not frozen and he is swimming for Christ sake. He actually drew a two minute penalty for embellishing and it was so blatant that he did not even argue, he just skated to the box.

That Maatta kid can really play though, oh my God does he have vision out there. He took the puck in deep with less than three minutes to go and found Neal sneaking in the backdoor like a ten year vet he fired the prefect pass and Neal buried it to send it to overtime and steal a point for his club. And it was not just that play, the kid simply has vision. If it the old adage is true that it takes a d-man 300 games in the NHL to truly understand the game that is a scary thought for the rest of the league because this kid can flat out play.

But enough with the praise. I hate these guys. I haven't had a good old fashioned hate on in a long time, maybe the Sharks as a great rival for the Wings, maybe the Ducks for their whiny play but that is about it. I think I am glad we are in the East, it feels good to have a team that deserves to be hated in our conference.

Edited by yave1964
  • Like 4

@yave1964

@jammer2

And they do it exactly as much as every other team in the league.  Come on boys, you watch enough games to know that every team out there is chirping at the officials to get an edge.  I've watched Giroux do it, Datsyuk do it... they all do it.  It's part of the game.  These guys are all pro's... they know how to win the NEXT call.  They all do it.  

As for Neal, I hope he gets the suspension by rule for the dive.  He was legitimately pulled down, but he also did the old squeeze the stick under the arm thing we see so many players in the league do.  I understand part of that is defending your face against the stick riding up, but it still forces the opponent to hook you and diving is the right call for it.  Again, a lot of players do it, including superstars on other teams, but it is something I wish Neal would stop.  As posted in the other topic I started.  

Maatta is  pleasant surprise.  All the more reason why I argued in his favor in the debate about the draft picks of him and Laughton.  

In short, I'm glad you hate my team.  it means we're doing all the things your teams do, but winning more.   ;)  

• Like 2

@Polaris922  To be fair, all teams might do it, but the Pens really do take whining to a new level. It is non stop chirping at the officials. It's so bad, I would not be surprised to see the refs show a bit of humanity and make them pay in the form of keeping an extra special eye on them....after all, they are only human, and humans have a breaking point....it's a karma thing   :)

@jammer2

Thats funny, because my opinion is the Flyers do the same thing.  To an extreme.  In fact, worse than any other team we play. Giroux in particular.  But I think we always notice our rivals doing it worse, more, to the extreme, etc etc...  it's how we see the game.  I've learned to accept that they all do it.  It's the NHL, it's so common it's crazy. 

No, on second thought I KNOW I hate the Penguins.

Nothing wrong with a good old fashioned hate. Hell I loved to hate the Avalanche so much back in the day that I still have a hard time saying Patrick Roy or Claude Freaking Lemieux without breaking into a string of vulgarities.

My reason for the hate I have brewing against the Pens is different though, this club whines to the official after every whistle more than any club I have ever seen. Ever is a long time, I have been watching hockey religiously since I was a kid so four decades. They whine about everything, where the faceoff is to be held, they whine about if the popcorn is too stale in section 17. Never before have I seen a team do this constantly on every whistle.

And the other thing they do is try to get a shot in on an opponent after every whistle as well. Again, just like the whining, it seems to be a cheap late shot after EVERY whistle. Kunitz drew four minutes for whacking away on Lundqvist when he had the puck under him, and then whined all the way to the penalty box.

Malkin as the whistle was blown to end overtime and send the game to the shootout tripped a hapless Ranger from behind, drawing a meaningless two minute penalty and skating to the bench with a bemused look on his face, meaningless because as the Penguin announcers pointed out he was still eligible for the shootout (Something that needs corrected if the shootout is to be left in the game) and of course Malkin scored the one goal for the Pens in the shootout which they thankfully lost.

And speaking of announcers these guys were apparently watching a different game than everyone else because the way they went on about how great their team was you would have thought the Pens were up 12-0.

And diving? Don't get me started on James Neal. The man must think the water is not frozen and he is swimming for Christ sake. He actually drew a two minute penalty for embellishing and it was so blatant that he did not even argue, he just skated to the box.

That Maatta kid can really play though, oh my God does he have vision out there. He took the puck in deep with less than three minutes to go and found Neal sneaking in the backdoor like a ten year vet he fired the prefect pass and Neal buried it to send it to overtime and steal a point for his club. And it was not just that play, the kid simply has vision. If it the old adage is true that it takes a d-man 300 games in the NHL to truly understand the game that is a scary thought for the rest of the league because this kid can flat out play.

But enough with the praise. I hate these guys. I haven't had a good old fashioned hate on in a long time, maybe the Sharks as a great rival for the Wings, maybe the Ducks for their whiny play but that is about it. I think I am glad we are in the East, it feels good to have a team that deserves to be hated in our conference.

Amen and Amen! :D

Yawn, if the Pens whined half as much as the whiners about the whining, they'd be really big whiners of the utmost proportions. Really, a Pens player cannot say hello to an official with someone saying he's whining.  A Pens player can't get knocked down without people saying that they're diving. Haters gonna hate and see the game through rose colored glasses. 

If you'd like I can watch the next Flyers game and point out every whine, penalty not called, cheap shot and any other thing that I can blow completely out of proportion.

Yawn, if the Pens whined half as much as the whiners about the whining, they'd be really big whiners of the utmost proportions. Really, a Pens player cannot say hello to an official with someone saying he's whining.  A Pens player can't get knocked down without people saying that they're diving. Haters gonna hate and see the game through rose colored glasses. 

If you'd like I can watch the next Flyers game and point out every whine, penalty not called, cheap shot and any other thing that I can blow completely out of proportion.

Wait, does this not constitute whining about our whining?  

@yave1964

Lol.It Started With Mario And Now Cindy Has Taken It To A New Level. The Players Can't Help It. They Follow The Lead From The Owner Down The Their Captain. It's Pathetic To Watch But The NHL Started This Mess Making Cindy Their Poster Boy. I Hope We GetTo Play Them In The PlayoffS And Watch Them Go From SC Favorites To Chokers Again!!! Hahahahaha...

@yave1964

Did you see the two-handed slash Kunitz took to the back of the legs during that chain of events? Did you happen to notice during the replay that Lundqvist never had control of the puck?  Did you pick up on the fact that Kunitz kept trying to poke at a loose puck up until the whistle blew? You know...kinda what NHL players are taught to do?

BTW, I didn't see Kunitz utter a damn thing on the way to the box. Let me rewind my DVR and.....nope....didn't even mouth a word. Sure you had the right game?

On to Malkin...are you really complaining about the "bemused" look on his face? He is kinda ugly - I'll give you that.  Now that equals complaining about a call? Or maybe he was gassed because he was on the ice for about 3:00 of the OT?  I see you didn't mention the trip on Crosby which kept him from getting to a cross ice pass on a pretty open net. Hmmm.

As for Neal...he was fairly whistled for  trying to draw a call for holding a guy's stick. Wanna guess how many times tha happens in a game? Probably been going on for what....40 years? :ph34r:

If you are sooooo upset about those kinds of antics, why did you fail to mention Carcillo's blatant head snap that drew a penalty (and not for embellishment)? Or do you only watch the Pens that closely?  Hmmm.

Speaking of complaing, did you see Nash bitch and moan all the way to the box when he was (correctly) whistled for two penalties mid-way throught the 2nd?  Just curious...any reason you didn't mention that?

Sounds like the Rangers dove and bitched more than the Pens from what I could tell.

I am so tired of dopes who nitpick what my team does and never seem to pick up on what other teams have gotten away with (Carcillo's head snap) or what maybe led to a scrum (the slash on Kunitz) or other missed calls (trip on Crosby in OT). 

Seriously - next time you want to start a thread like this with 6 paragraphs of absolutely biased BS you had best have your ducks in a row because I'll be waiting.

Of course it was fun blowing your ducks out of the water and pointing out the obvious bias in your assessment of last night's game. ;)

@yave1964

Lol.It Started With Mario And Now Cindy Has Taken It To A New Level. The Players Can't Help It. They Follow The Lead From The Owner Down The Their Captain. It's Pathetic To Watch But The NHL Started This Mess Making Cindy Their Poster Boy. I Hope We GetTo Play Them In The PlayoffS And Watch Them Go From SC Favorites To Chokers Again!!! Hahahahaha...

lOL. pLaYoFfs? :lol: 

@yave1964

@B21 is right bud. The Rangers were over the top with antics that game. Carrillo definitely embellished and I remember asking out loud "is Nash really trying to play innocent on THAT?!"

We get it that people hate better skilled teams, but you're really just choosing a side and ignoring the other team.

@Polaris922

That is because there are no Ranger fans in here lol and with hockey going away for the next three weeks just felt like having some fun.

Seriously, the two great Stanley Cups between your team and mine did not leave me hating the Pens, I respect skill, if you notice I did not rip on Crosby in my diatribe but my GOD does Malkin bitch a lot. And the hits after the whistle were way over the top and tilted towards the Pens last night. And the only thing missing for Neal is a diving board and a lifeguard. Yeah, other teams including my Wings do the same stuff and one game is a small sample but the Pens as well as leading the league in skill players if last night is an example they lead in nastiness towards the refs and cheap shots as well.

Let me be clear, I want a team to hate. The Avalanche rivalry is unparalleled in my lifetime, if our two clubs had met in the finals one more time I am sure I would have learned to hate them at the time. Now that we are in the same conference it might be a good old fashioned fun type of hate, take it as a compliment, after all NOBODY hates the Panthers or the Flames. 

@Polaris922

That is because there are no Ranger fans in here lol and with hockey going away for the next three weeks just felt like having some fun.

Seriously, the two great Stanley Cups between your team and mine did not leave me hating the Pens, I respect skill, if you notice I did not rip on Crosby in my diatribe but my GOD does Malkin bitch a lot. And the hits after the whistle were way over the top and tilted towards the Pens last night. And the only thing missing for Neal is a diving board and a lifeguard. Yeah, other teams including my Wings do the same stuff and one game is a small sample but the Pens as well as leading the league in skill players if last night is an example they lead in nastiness towards the refs and cheap shots as well.

Let me be clear, I want a team to hate. The Avalanche rivalry is unparalleled in my lifetime, if our two clubs had met in the finals one more time I am sure I would have learned to hate them at the time. Now that we are in the same conference it might be a good old fashioned fun type of hate, take it as a compliment, after all NOBODY hates the Panthers or the Flames. 

See, now I can appreciate that. It's a shame that we can't meet up in the SCF's any longer, but let's try to get out teams to the conference finals and grow that hatred towards each other a little more.

• Like 1