St Louis trade request confirmed

mng815

@blocker  Yeah, I didn't think the kid would make or break the decision, but an important factor in the all round final deal. Marty knows hockey, if he thinks living in TB would hurt a possible developing career, well, the 10-12 age is REAL important, those kids have to be playing in a real good travel team to grow and evolve properly. Who would want to be the Dad to stunt a career that early and always wonder what could have been.....that would weigh on me.

After all, if somebody had not watched and protected the young career of Marty, this thread would not even exist.

@blocker  Yeah, I didn't think the kid would make or break the decision, but an important factor in the all round final deal. Marty knows hockey, if he thinks living in TB would hurt a possible developing career, well, the 10-12 age is REAL important, those kids have to be playing in a real good travel team to grow and evolve properly. Who would want to be the Dad to stunt a career that early and always wonder what could have been.....that would weigh on me.

After all, if somebody had not watched and protected the young career of Marty, this thread would not even exist.

And that would be fine for him to pursue after the season is over.  I don't think three months is make or break time for little Marty Jr.  And let's just say the time was THAT critical...  the wife and kids could live where they need to on my $6.5 million a year salary the team is paying me to help get them to the playoffs.  I like St. Louis.. but in this case he remains a whiny B#&%$

• Like 1

And if Mr. St. Louis senior was making $5.65 Million a year playing hockey, his family would have been quite happy just to have that.

@radoran

So a buddy of mine who's pretty knowledgeable about hockey (he DID play junior after all ;) ) says St. Louis has wanted out of Tampa for a couple of years but they refused to deal him. Apparently his family is in Connecticut? I don't know this, just what i was told. Kind of makes more sense with the olympic thing being the last straw.

St. Louis signed a four year extension in 2010 that kicked in in 11-12. How many years could he have "wanted out"??

This is what kind of makes me think there's more to the evolution of the franchise than "I want to see my son play in Greenwich."

And also flies in the face of "Olympic snub motivates trade."

Signing MSL was one of the first things Yzerman did - a sign of continuation of the history of the franchise while looking to the future.

We may find out What Really Happened, but I don't expect it to be soon.

St. Louis, according to Bob Mac requested a trade to the Rangers...and nowhere else.

If this is true - and the Rags still gave up all of that for a 38yo - then the Rags are idiots.

@radoran

I'm not sure how long he wanted out, but I trust my friends opinion. He's told me several hockey related things over the years that I just brushed off only to find out later he was right.

As for the Rangers giving up all that...they are idiots.

Sorry, but your 10 year old does not dictate where you play.(Neither should your wife if you have any balls)  And you don't walk out on your team. I was just saying it may have been the straw that broke the camels back...but he should have played out the season for his teammates and more importantly, his fans (the ones who pay for him to live the lifestyle he does)

Why not? Many people have turned down opportunities or taken lower paying jobs to put family first. His teammates and fans? F-ck that, he plays a sport for a living. He gets paid to play a GAME. It's meaningless in the grand scheme of life. So he wants to see his kid more and your outraged he didn't put a game over that? LOL.

Edited by fanaticV3.0

@radoran

I'm not sure how long he wanted out, but I trust my friends opinion. He's told me several hockey related things over the years that I just brushed off only to find out later he was right.

As for the Rangers giving up all that...they are idiots.

Well, I'm not disagreeing, just noting the time frame - and the fact that it perfectly coincides with Yzerman putting his "stamp" on the organization

Would not surprise me at all if Stevie Y and MSL didn't see eye to eye. And I do wonder if the VLC buyout had anything to do with it.

@fanaticV3.0

How many people making almost $6 million a year and 2/3 of the way through an imortant project have up and quit cause of their 10 year old? I know it's a rhetorical question. There's more to this than just that. You don't do this to your team at this point in the season.

@fanaticV3.0

How many people making almost $6 million a year and 2/3 of the way through an imortant project have up and quit cause of their 10 year old? I know it's a rhetorical question. There's more to this than just that. You don't do this to your team at this point in the season.

If that is the only consideration then, yes, that's a problem.

After being certain it was the Olympic "snub" and then advancing the "MSL wanted out" theory, you're going to settle back to "he moved for his kid"?

Clearly there is a lot more going on than any one thing.

@fanaticV3.0

"Don't do this to your team", lol. It's not like he's a doctor who walks out in the middle of surgery. It's just a game. He's not hurting anyone by choosing to be closer to his family (sorry, but the Lightning's PO chances is hardly important in the bigger picture). 

Plus, you yourself are the one who said he has wanted out of Tampa for years and the team refused to deal him.

It is just a game. It also allows his family to live a life of luxury. Something that his fans have shelled out their hard earned money for. If he has a problem with management or ownership, I get it.

Personally (admittedly without knowing the real story) I thought he could have waited another couple of months...he could have let Yzerman know but stuck it out with his teammates. As for his 10 year old...that kids season doesn't start in March, he's gotta be just about done.

"Don't do this to your team", lol. It's not like he's a doctor who walks out in the middle of surgery. It's just a game. He's not hurting anyone by choosing to be closer to his family (sorry, but the Lightning's PO chances is hardly important in the bigger picture).

Plus, you yourself are the one who said he has wanted out of Tampa for years and the team refused to deal him.

The point is his integrity is what would be and IS in question. His loyalty to his teammates is just a hair below his family in this game. The team made a $20+ million dollar investment in him. The Lightning's playoff chances can be worth anywhere from $2-$10 million dollars to the team. Not to mention fan support.

All of that is more important than Junior having to wait 3 months to switch teams.

I don't think his son had a damn thing to do with the trade.  

You can play competitive youth hockey from anywhere.  My grandchildren, (from Vermont), played in a league which included a Florida team.  

Geography isn't a factor anymore.  If you want your kid to play elite hockey, and you're not overly worried about the cost, then your location doesn't matter.

Sorry, but your 10 year old does not dictate where you play.(Neither should your wife if you have any balls)  And you don't walk out on your team. I was just saying it may have been the straw that broke the camels back...but he should have played out the season for his teammates and more importantly, his fans (the ones who pay for him to live the lifestyle he does)

However, if my GM thinks that defecating on me is Okay then I am going to disagree. MSL has been in the league a long time and been a good representative of the league. No my wife and son are not going to have the be all end all say in my career but I am also going to try and do what is best for us as a family. The fact of the matter is that Stevie Y. gave MSL all the ammo he needs to go out on top and walk away from the Lightning with no remorse. Marty does not have to play another game unless he chooses to. One of the big problems for the Lightning is that Stamkos is watching just how the star players (VLC and MSL) have been treated and they are probably going to have to pay dearly to keep him there.

Edited by flyerrod

@flyerrod

I'm sorry but once VLC got his big payday he basically took the test of his career off, showing up for the occasional game. Yes injuries played a part, but his heart played a bigger one. He deserved to be bought out. Actually, he deserved to be waived but the NHL has guaranteed contracts. And he deserves to be waived again.

@flyerrod

I'm sorry but once VLC got his big payday he basically took the test of his career off, showing up for the occasional game. Yes injuries played a part, but his heart played a bigger one. He deserved to be bought out. Actually, he deserved to be waived but the NHL has guaranteed contracts. And he deserves to be waived again.

Too bad we already used both compliance buyouts to get out of bad long term contracts. Otherwise, we could have used it to get out of a bad long term contract.

Too bad we already used both compliance buyouts to get out of bad long term contracts. Otherwise, we could have used it to get out of a bad long term contract.

The Leafs agree with this. Are compliance buyouts tradeable? If so, I could see them acquiring one.  :D

Edited by Commander Clueless

The trade request came seemingly out of nowhere and it all went down so quickly, kind of crazy when you think about it. If Marty had wanted out before, he sure had done a good job keeping it private. In any case, I'm not mad about it, in all honesty not even upset. It is his life and he has the right do what he deems appropriate for him and his family. It sucks for the Lightning since Yzerman had to accomodate his request to be traded to a specific team but such is life. It is all not bad though, MSL is 38 years old, his career is nearing an end. Provided Yzerman can re-sign Callahan (which I have full faith he will be able to do) then it wasn't a bad trade for us. Callahan, 1st, 2nd (NYR's chance to advance to ECF is slim, so let's just assume it will remain a 2nd round pick) for MSL who would waive only for the NYR.

Sure, losing MSL will hurt our chances of a deep playoff run this year, but Lightning fans (dare I say, including Yzerman and management) were not expecting that at the season start. That must be of on the reasons Marty wanted out.

I assume there are three reasons Marty wanted out:

1. his family situation: Marty's home is in Greenwich, Conn.

2. the initial Olympic snub

One major reason: He was initially snubbed for the Canadian Olympic team.

“That had something to do with it, for sure,” St. Louis said

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/06/sports/hockey/rangers-trade-ryan-callahan-to-lightning-for-martin-st-louis.html?_r=0

3. Yzerman's belief to not go all in and rather take a 'wait-and-see' approach. Yzerman knows the Lightning are a work in progress, no reason to go for it now. That time will come, but it is not right now. I suspect MSL and Yzerman talked on this topic and the conversation did not go in the direction MSL would like to. 

NYR are in a 'win now' mode and they will be until Lundqvist retires/his skill deteriorates, which is exactly what MSL is looking for. That being said, I don't think the Rangers have a much better chance of going deep than the Lightning, if they have a better chance at all.

Anyway, good luck in NY Marty. Certainly the end of an era for the Bolts. On a side note, Drouin has big shoes to fill. :)

@Lightning fan

Welcome, it's nice to see a Lightning fan's take on the situation and I do agree with you and think that Tampa will win out on this one.  Although he is still a good player, that probably won't last to much longer (jagr aside). 

Good luck down the stretch!!!

@Lightning fan

Welcome, it's nice to see a Lightning fan's take on the situation and I do agree with you and think that Tampa will win out on this one.  Although he is still a good player, that probably won't last to much longer (jagr aside). 

Good luck down the stretch!!!

Thanks fan4ever. I suspect the vast majority of Lightning fans do not share my opinion and view MSL's actions as trashing his legacy. I'm more pragmatic and don't tend to get too emotional anymore... it's not worth it. MSL has done a lot of good things for this franchise and I'm grateful for that. It might be a different story were he 25. ;)

• Like 1

Thanks fan4ever. I suspect the vast majority of Lightning fans do not share my opinion and view MSL's actions as trashing his legacy. I'm more pragmatic and don't tend to get too emotional anymore... it's not worth it. MSL has done a lot of good things for this franchise and I'm grateful for that. It might be a different story were he 25. ;)

MSL just got a solid player and two first rounders for the Lightning. His "legacy" in Tampa could live on in those three players for quite some time.