Flyers have traded for Andy MacDonald

JackStraw

@JackStraw

i agree that one of Schenn and Grossmann is plenty so if Homer can flip Grossman for a 3rd then it's a win.  

I wish I knew what to do with Mez because there are plenty of times recently where he looks really good, like his confidence is coming back, he's not afraid his body is going to break and he's actually playing hockey. He's a nice player when he's able to be himself on the ice.

I don't think he's in the long term plans though Hahaha I said long term plan  :ph34r: .  so a second or a buried prospect for help now maybe Boston ? would be a nice return.

Mesz can definitely make things happen when he gets the puck in the offensive zone. But in the defensive zone, not so much. He's not terrible and should have decent trade value. I would just prefer someone more mobile and dependable. But if we were going to keep one of Meszaros or Grossman, then Mesz would definitely be the guy.

Edited by JackStraw

@JackStraw  I don't get having Streit and McDonald on the same defense, redundant skill sets IMHO. So, McDonald and Streit will compose 1/3 of our defense for the foreseeable future....shoot me NOW!!!  How does Homer fell this puts us in a better position to win playoff series.....WTF I say....WWWWTTTTFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, for starters, he's not very good in his own end....hockey futures blurb on him...

"MacDonald has above average offensive skills for a blue liner, and a talent for creating quick offensive rushes. It is his ability to make tape-to-tape, up-ice passes and set up for quick shots off the point that make him, if not a true defenseman, a talented offensive-defenseman. He will need to work on his positioning in the defensive zone. Once along the boards, MacDonald is easy to get by. He is all too eager to go in the offensive zone and will need to better discipline himself at sticking to the duties of his position."

I'm not thrilled, basically an younger version of Streit....a mediocre d-man who is decent at running the pp and that is about it. Another defensive liability.....great, just what the doctor ordered....I believe he turns 28 in Septemeber.

So help me out here with the hockey futures report. Is that based on his play as a pro ... or is it based on his 19 year old season in Jr. ? because if it's number 2 then your criticism loses quite a bit of validity with me because it doesn't allow for his 8 years of playing professional hockey.  

For me we need some guys that can skate well and have an inkling of offensive ability on our blue line.  The corps that we have now has a couple of slow guys ( Schenn/ Gross) and a couple of guys that bring zilch to the offensive zone (Coburn/Gross).   so i'm not ready to trash Homer on this yet.  

@mojo1917  Well, he *is* a -19 on the season, that does not actually make we wanna do cartwheels!  Bottom line, he is an offensive d-man who is weak in his own zone. I've read as much 3-4 times this season. We just don't need this type of offensive d-man....I don't understand it. We will probably pay him 5-6 mill a season for 4-5 years....WHAT A JOKE THIS IS!!!  They *HAVE* to fire Homer before he makes any more bone headed trades like this. he's acting like we are on the cusp...we are, on the cusp of being average.

• Like 1

@JackStraw  I don't get having Streit and McDonald on the same defense, redundant skill sets IMHO. So, McDonald and Streit will compose 1/3 of our defense for the foreseeable future....shoot me NOW!!!  How does Homer fell this puts us in a better position to win playoff series.....WTF I say....WWWWTTTTFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!

From what I can remember of him from when we play the Isles, and what I've read elsewhere, I don't think he's a younger Streit. I don't see him as a PP guy. Several people on hfboards are calling him a more physical, but less good, Matt Carle. I think we'd be better off with the real Matt Carle (I was always in the minority there) but I guess I have to settle for AMac. Not saying I love the guy, or the trade, but IF (big if I realize) Homer can move Meszaros and Grossman, get some picks back, and find another two-way defenseman for next year who can skate and doesn't handle the puck like a live grenade, then things could be looking up.

My point is that the Flyers D is basically a mess. Mostly because they have too many big, slow guys. Berube wants the team to play fast, MacDonald should be able to play faster than Grossman or Meszaros (or Schenn for that matter, but I'm fine with keeping him). So maybe this is the first step in getting the D into more reasonable shape. Maybe.

He's 28, was a top 4 guy...

I don't know if I get the Kvetching from the faithful here ?

I saw him play pretty well vs the Pens until he got dinged up, what am I missing ?

I don't want to hear about mortgaging the future either because 3rd round draft picks Klotz and Ghouloborne will come and kick your asses.

We got a guy that can skate, make a pass, run the powerplay ... i mean what the **** guys ?

Thank you. I was beginning to think I was the only one who liked this trade. We got him for very little and if they can resign him for $3M-ish I'm good. I know the 2nd round pick, but I don't think your likely to get as good as him in the second round.

I like the move

Thank you. I was beginning to think I was the only one who liked this trade. We got him for very little and if they can resign him for $3M-ish I'm good. I know the 2nd round pick, but I don't think your likely to get as good as him in the second round.

I like the move

Yep, he has already turned down 4mill a year.....I'm thinking 20 mill for 4 years....minimum. For a guy who is leaky in his own end. You will not like this guy in the O&B...

From what I can remember of him from when we play the Isles, and what I've read elsewhere, I don't think he's a younger Streit

Yes, I have heard the comparision a few times. At least he has a nice decent first pass, trying to look for positives, don't see many....

@JackStraw I don't get having Streit and McDonald on the same defense, redundant skill sets IMHO. So, McDonald and Streit will compose 1/3 of our defense for the foreseeable future....shoot me NOW!!! How does Homer fell this puts us in a better position to win playoff series.....WTF I say....WWWWTTTTFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!

I personally don't see them as redundant. I think MacDonald has a better pass and is what, 4 years younger?

I really like this move. I mean, I'm not putting my lawn chair out on the parade route as a result of it, but if it's the start of reshaping the defense, I'm good.

I wouldn't advocate having him and Streit on the same pairing, though.

Yep, he has already turned down 4mill a year.....I'm thinking 20 mill for 4 years....minimum. For a guy who is leaky in his own end. You will not like this guy in the O&B...

I honestly think he turned down the islanders rather than that money. I don't think it takes $5M

Realistically, they offer him the same exact money the Isles did and they get it done

I personally don't see them as redundant. I think MacDonald has a better pass and is what, 4 years younger?

I really like this move. I mean, I'm not putting my lawn chair out on the parade route as a result of it, but if it's the start of reshaping the defense, I'm good.

I wouldn't advocate having him and Streit on the same pairing, though.

MacDonald is 27 (turns out he has the same birthday as me, so he must be good!) so he's a lot younger than Streit.

Edited by JackStraw

Giving away three potential assets is a bit much IMO. Mangene is no big loss and the 3rd rounder is hit and miss but our 2nd rounder this year was Robert Hagg.

I think he's an upgrade over Mezsaros if only for the shot blocking. Plus he has offensive capability. But the defensive weaknesses... Isn't that what we're trying to fix?

Would you guys be happy if he's resigned for $4m per? Jeezus that seems like a lot for MacD!

• Like 1

Giving away three potential assets is a bit much IMO. Mangene is no big loss and the 3rd rounder is hit and miss but our 2nd rounder this year was Robert Hagg.

I think he's an upgrade over Mezsaros if only for the shot blocking. Plus he has offensive capability. But the defensive weaknesses... Isn't that what we're trying to fix?

Would you guys be happy if he's resigned for $4m per? Jeezus that seems like a lot for MacD!

Yeah. I'm good. I think he's a good solid second pair guy. Maybe top pair so long as the other guy is a stud (obviously not a current flyer).

Sadly, we're not having this discussion if bonehead makes an offer to Carle.

Totally depends on how he looks. Yes, we got Hagg with a 2nd but this was draft that was crazy deep with defensemen. I don't know if 2015 will be like that. Still, a 2nd is a 2nd so hopefully MacDonald will be worth it.

You forgot "Never keep 2nd and 3rd round draft picks".

He has it. It's on a crumpled post-it note that's scotch taped back up there because Hextall and Pronger snuck in his office and threw it in the trash before the 2013 draft.

28 in September.

Yeah. Saw that. Forget now whether I saw it on ESPN or where but they had it wrong. Although now that I'm typing I wonder if I saw 28 as the date and somehow read it as age. I've seen 28 elsewhere now though (and several times on here)

rather than mcdonald I would rather have Dustin Butt****ing. At least he can clear the crease has a bomb of a shot and can play wing if needed
rather than mcdonald I would rather have Dustin Butt****ing. At least he can clear the crease has a bomb of a shot and can play wing if needed

I rather have dustin buff than mcdonald least he has a bomb of a shot and can clear the crease, and can play wing if needed

Edited by FlyersFan4Life

I rather have dustin buff than mcdonald least he has a bomb of a shot and can clear the crease, and can play wing if needed

Yeah, but he'd also take a lot more than what we gave up for Macdonald

I like the move

Shea Weber. Duncan Keith. PK Subban off the top of my head. Unless of course you don't consider them as good.

I really like this move.

You know, I'm gonna tone down my objections and just judge him on the ice with the eye test, but a few positives I have learned through Google....and a few more negatives as well....my findings...

1) Played his junior in the QHL with the Moncton Wildcats

2) Drafted in the 6th round, 160th overall in 06 by the Islanders....so a real life diamond in the rough situation here.

3) In May 20007 he signed his 3 year entry level contract with the Isles.

4) In 2007-2008 was bounced between the Isles AHL affiliate Bridgeport and their ECHL outfit the Utah Grizzlies 4 times in this 2 year span.....so, a very late bloomer I'd say.

5) In 2009, he was done with the ECHL and was sent from the NHL Islanders to Bridgeport 13 times in this year.

6) Feb 25th 2010, signed a new 4 year deal with the Islanders.

7) a few injuries to list here :

Feb 2010 he missed 12 games with a broken foot...he saw his last AHL action here, as a short re-conditioning stint....

Nov 2010 he fractured his hand, missed 12 games.

March 2011 Hip injury, out for rest of regular season

April 2013 Broken hand, out for playoffs.

Safe to say he is injury prone for a guy who is about to turn 28 on September 7th. That is 4 major injuries since he stuck with the Islanders...in other words, don't think things will improve under the tutelage of McCrossin. We will see more than a few injuries in his Flyer lifetime...book it. When have you ever seen a guy miss time with 4 major injuries and then just clean things up and go injury free the rest of their careers....PERHAPS you might find an example.....most likely not...but injury prone is injury prone....we will see him miss time.

8) A nice positive for once, he leads the ENTIRE NHL in blocked shots. Maybe that i one of the reasons why he missed so much time. I love guys willing to sacrifice their bodies to stop a scoring chance....sounds like a balls to the wall type...a positive for SURE!!