hemsky?

mng815

I have heard no rumors tying him to philly but this is just my opinion. According to what i read the flyers have about 2 mil in cap room. If they trade away mez and his 4 mil they could fit hemskys 5 mil (not certain on that cap hit). Just my opinion but i think he would be a good fit with G and Jake. Have no idea what edmontons asking price is however. If the price is right, what does everyone think?

I don't know enough about him.

Is he injured a lot or something?  Plus, his production has really fallen off the past few years.  Is this just due to his being on a lousy team?  Or is his falling off one of the reasons the team is lousy?

The Oilers have been trying (unsuccessfully) to trade him away for THREE years. I'm not kidding.

Was just about to say the same thing.  His name comes up every year and he's still an Oiler.

Pass.

I don't know enough about him.

Is he injured a lot or something?  Plus, his production has really fallen off the past few years.  Is this just due to his being on a lousy team?  Or is his falling off one of the reasons the team is lousy?

A couple of different things:

-Hemsky's offense has been pretty stable for the past three years, but injuries have really cost him. Before he separated his shoulder, he was scoring 2.5 points/60 minutes. Since then, it's been 1.4 pts/60. This season: 1.3.

-With adding Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle, etc, he's not getting the plum offensive opportunities he received before. Hemsky's role has changed this year, and he's now getting buried in zone starts (43% toughest among Oilers RW) and is playing on a defense-first line with Boyd Gordon. Nobody plays with Gordon to INcrease their scoring. His job has been to start next to his own net, get the puck into the other end, and he's that.

Hemsky is soft and thinks he is a primadonna. He does have some offensive skill but doesn't play on the other side of the puck. No thanks!

Hemsky's no Cam Neely, but he takes the pucks to dangerous areas, never shies away from physical contact, and will take a hit to make a play. Everybody can have their own definition of soft, of course, but mine would be a non-physical perimeter player who runs from contact. Hemsky fits none of that criteria.

Primadonna... Well, ok... I don't know the man, and can't personally vouch for his character. I know that I've never seen anything which indicated it to me. No swagger, no big mouth, no cocky attitude on ice from what I've noticed. He's quiet, fairly unassuming, reporters don't turn to him for a colorful quote. He'll never be confused for Jeremy Roenick.

Doesn't play on the other side of the puck... Hemsky's own coach has a completely different opinion on that matter:

“Ales has been unbelieveable. He has been an absolute pleasure, to coach so far. We’ve had a lot of conversations, I explained to him what I expect of him, he said absolutely. He’s been outstanding in every game he’s played–I’m not even talking about the plays he’s making with the puck, I’m talking about his back pressure, his penalty killing, his commitment to defense."

-Dallas Eakins

If Hemsky didn't play on the other side of the puck, he wouldn't be getting the toughest defensive minutes and zone starts or have his most common centre be Boyd Gordon.

Edited by JR Ewing

@JR Ewing   Hey, where ya been bro, good to see you back and posting!

Well, busy days... Father has been sick, which had me going back and forth from here to BC... That, and we're getting ready to sell our house and move. The fun never stops.   lol

To me whether Hemsky is or is not soft or a floater or a Prima Donna is irrelevant to the discussion. It boils down to one irrefutable fact.

His offensive skill set has eroded to the point where he is average and ordinary. It is not the fault of the Oilers that he has sliped skill wise to an ordinary winger and never developed beyond where he was a half a dozen years ago but instead just took one small step after another back to the point where he is barely differentiated from any number of other wingers playing out the string on there career.

It is my opinion that he wasted a chance to be much better, if not a truly great then at the least a damn good and instead lost the spark along the way. Losing will do that to you, so maybe it is the fault of the Oilers. Of course he might have been a solution to the change in the culture of the team and instead became just another one of the problems, an enormously skilled player who never took the next step. Move on. Nothing more to see here.