Stroumboulopoulos to take over HNIC

brelic

Ha  ha....78% don't like the choice of Strombo. I'm surprised the number is not in the 90's...McLean is practically a saint...why does Rogers feel the need to play with things? The segment is so successful as it is.....wtf. Would not be surprised to see Grapes quit if Ron is not there....

• Like 1

Ha  ha....78% don't like the choice of Strombo. I'm surprised the number is not in the 90's...McLean is practically a saint...why does Rogers feel the need to play with things? The segment is so successful as it is.....wtf. Would not be surprised to see Grapes quit if Ron is not there....

People don't like change. I mean, this is a combo that has been there 30 years. Some people - myself included - have never known anything else. HNIC in Canada for me is Ron MacLean and Don Cherry.

That being said, I'm sure Rogers wants to quickly put its stamp on things. I don't watch Strombo's show, but from what I hear, he's a capable host and interviewer. I'm sure he'll be excellent.

I'm sure he'll be excellent.

I'm just really gonna miss Ron's silly little puns, and the good cop bad cop shtick. I'm shocked Don is not balking at this, saying he will not go on the air without Ron. Don has all the leverage here, he as millions of fans on his side. If Rogers wants to pull this off, they need Cherry to be on board. Rogers knows that they will be able to charge outrageous money during the first intermission and post game segments. The almighty buck is at stake here, so I would imagine Rogers would not walk away from Cherry should be pull a grandstand move like this.

Not having Cherry would alienate Rogers before they aired one game, not a great way to start out your hockey coverage. Following the excellent groundbreaking CBC hockey coverage is tough enough to do to begin with, with no Cherry, people can and will change the channel in the first intermission, and maybe, just maybe not come back.

I'm just really gonna miss Ron's silly little puns, and the good cop bad cop shtick. I'm shocked Don is not balking at this, saying he will not go on the air without Ron. Don has all the leverage here, he as millions of fans on his side. If Rogers wants to pull this off, they need Cherry to be on board. Rogers knows that they will be able to charge outrageous money during the first intermission and post game segments. The almighty buck is at stake here, so I would imagine Rogers would not walk away from Cherry should be pull a grandstand move like this.

Not having Cherry would alienate Rogers before they aired one game, not a great way to start out your hockey coverage. Following the excellent groundbreaking CBC hockey coverage is tough enough to do to begin with, with no Cherry, people can and will change the channel in the first intermission, and maybe, just maybe not come back.

Actually, if I read the article correctly, Ron and Don will still do Coach's Corner. But the rest of the broadcast (opening, probably Hotstove, etc) will be Strombo.

I have no issue with Strombo; he comes across as a solid broadcaster. But really, I don't really watch intermission, pre-game / post-game stuff anyway (most of the "analysis" is mindless stuff from guys Healy, Stock, etc) so it's no skin off my nose. The only real decent one there is Elliote Friedman.

Barf.

I hate Strombo and his uber-hip, faux "punk" persona. Mrs P hates him even more. He's unwatchable frankly.

But I saw the presser and he didn't make me puke. Instead, the media made me barf by mainly asking him questions and otherwise fawning over him. 

Gak.

Barf.

I hate Strombo and his uber-hip, faux "punk" persona. Mrs P hates him even more. He's unwatchable frankly.

But I saw the presser and he didn't make me puke. Instead, the media made me barf by mainly asking him questions and otherwise fawning over him. 

Gak.

What I didn't realize is that he's a legit hockey guy. So it's good to see that Rogers didn't pick someone just because they're a household name - he is that, but he also knows and loves hockey and was a sports journalist early in his career.

@JR Ewing

I'd be happy if Friedman took on a bigger role. It's a pleasure listening to him...especially compared to Healey the idiot.

Healey may be the least knowledgeable hockey analyst on the air today. How does anyone who gets paid for his opinion utter "I don't think Datsuyk is highly skilled"....WTF!!

What I didn't realize is that he's a legit hockey guy. So it's good to see that Rogers didn't pick someone just because they're a household name - he is that, but he also knows and loves hockey and was a sports journalist early in his career.

Yeah, that`s true: he started out as a sports reporter (basketball, which is a sport apparently, and then hockey). He`s a Habs fan though, so that tells you what kind of hockey sense he has. :ph34r:

Yeah, that`s true: he started out as a sports reporter (basketball, which is a sport apparently, and then hockey). He`s a Habs fan though, so that tells you what kind of hockey sense he has. :ph34r:

Haha, well, there are worse things than being a fan of an Original 6.... just look at SnoWang.

@JR Ewing

I'd be happy if Friedman took on a bigger role. It's a pleasure listening to him...especially compared to Healey the idiot.

Agreed. HNIC's coverage has weakened over the years due to TSN's hockey brain drain suckigng quality analysts from everybody else's talent pool. I'm surprised Friendman hasn't been lured yet.

Healey may be the least knowledgeable hockey analyst on the air today. How does anyone who gets paid for his opinion utter "I don't think Datsuyk is highly skilled"....WTF!!

I had to go and find it, as I could scarcely imagine somebody who is paid to talk about hockey being that obtuse.

That's all kinds of stupid.

@JR Ewing  How can you even take Healey serious after making such a monumentally stupid comment.....he should have been **** canned right there...on the spot. Their show has no credibility with a baffon like that spouting such absolute nonsense!

I had to go and find it, as I could scarcely imagine somebody who is paid to talk about hockey being that obtuse.

That's all kinds of stupid.

No no... he's right this time. God didn't give Datsyuk all that talent. Datsyuk did what he does to opposing players, he stole it. He stole that talent from God.

Following the excellent groundbreaking CBC hockey coverage is tough enough to do to begin with, with no Cherry, people can and will change the channel in the first intermission, and maybe, just maybe not come back.

Hey Jammer, I am not so sure about that. HNIC in-game coverage is the best there is to be found in my opinion. If it was a caps-florida game, for sure, but I doubt people will change the station just because the intermission program personnel has changed. That said, I do agree that it is a legendary segment. I thought I heard a few years back that Cherry was on the chopping block and it was Mclean that saved his butt from getting canned? 

Back to the point, the tandem is as good as it gets. And for those that dislike cherry and feel he is a blowhard, half of that is an act. If you want to know anything about him, go see what he does all the time for youth hockey in Canada. Snider pales in comparison. 

@JR Ewing  How can you even take Healey serious after making such a monumentally stupid comment.....he should have been **** canned right there...on the spot. Their show has no credibility with a baffon like that spouting such absolute nonsense!

It seems like Healey is there not by accident. Television producers believe that's what viewers want - diametrically opposed viewpoints that elicit a strong emotional response from viewers. It gets people talking about a particular show, segment, and ultimately, network.