Berube a Jack Adams candidate ?

mojo1917

@flyercanuck

@ruxpin

The grinder comment throws me.  First off, I didn't see it for myself just word of mouth here, and have to say it's a stupid comment if that was how he said he wanted the team to play all the time.  Watching the Dallas game, that's not what he was after at all.  I didn't see any shift in philosophy to a grinder game, just better battling in the corners.  

Otherwise I agree.  Some coaches are just great regular season coaches that don't ever crossover well to the playoffs.  I think 2009 showed he can do it, and I hope that wasn't a fluke.  Last year they had a solid playoff as well... right up till they ran into the Bruins.  Was he outcoached?  Or did the team just not have it?  I dunno...  If he drops early again this year, he needs to be replaced.  

It's going to be Roy anyway.  As it should be.  

This team is currently only 3 points away from missing the playoffs.

Ain't nobody talking about nuthin' awards wise until that happens.

It's hard to believe how tight the standings are this year.

Their start is really a shame. Just.500 in those first twelve games or so and they're sitting pretty comfortably.

Not only has Berube done an admirable job, he's the type of coach players actually like. That could give him some longevity, we'll see.

Roys done a nice job coaching, (though he'd never win a father of the year award - those boys are as big of jerks as the old man) Take Nathan MacKinnon out and throw him on the Flyers and who looks better? I get that he's part of the team. But Roy got him as a bonus over the previous coach. That has to make his job a bit easier. Still, he has that team believing in itself.

Bylsmas done a nice job with all the injuries. But for a team with those two players he has on it, they are one of the most underachieving playoff teams of the last 4 years. They rack up the points every year and are cup favorites. Then they lose in the first or second round. They made it further last year, even though they were outplayed by the Isles, but looked like Buffalo against the Bruins. Yes, Buffalo. But that was then and this is now. If they don't make the finals, I'd fire his arse.

I am thrilled that Berube is our coach. And, I have been since day 1.

Berube holds everybody accountable, something that Laviolette never did.

But most importantly, Berube has the team organized in their own zone. I think we all remember the series against the Devils when the Flyers were running around in their own zone like the Keystone Kops. It was painful watching the team try to get the puck out and that happened far too regularly under Laviolette. Laviolette was never able to get the team to play good, fundamental defensive hockey.

It amazes me what good coaching can do. And, finally, I think we have a coach who "gets it."

I mentioned this in the home and home thread...and think it it worth some discussion.

0-3 to 1-7 and blown out by a middling Capitals team, since December there are what 4 teams with a better record ? He got them in shape during the season, since Pete was too busy at Delaware downs or something... He has everyone buying in to his "vision" .

I was skeptical when Homer called him one of the smartest hockey men he knew...made me think Homer didn't know too many hockey men. I was wrong, Chief has evaluated his team and figured out how to make them successful.

I'd say Bylsma should be considered too since he's got the Pens in First place playing with guys from W-B Scranton. I hope the short sighted Pens fan can see that.

Boudreau , Hitch, Paddy Roy?

I think Chief at least deserves a mention.

Berube should at least be a candidate (just threw up in my mouth saying that).

Bylsma should not be.  It doesn't matter if the Pens have over 400 man games lost to injuries.  Any coach who has Crosby and Malkin should win a Cup every year. :ph34r:

This team is currently only 3 points away from missing the playoffs.

Make that 6 points away from 9th or worse as of today (Friday.) 

Sports Club Stats has the Flyers at almost 97% of a lock for the playoffs.  .500 hockey will probably do it, .600 hockey is as close to guaranteed in as one could wish for, and .750, the rate they've been at since the Olympic break - well it ain't the President's trophy, but it will mean 2nd place in the division.

But first things first, down them Blues!

Berube should at least be a candidate (just threw up in my mouth saying that).

Bylsma should not be.  It doesn't matter if the Pens have over 400 man games lost to injuries.  Any coach who has Crosby and Malkin should win a Cup every year. :ph34r:

I'm impressed, hanging out in the Flyers forum has made you smarter.....it's like a lightbulb going on....

I'm impressed, hanging out in the Flyers forum has made you smarter.....it's like a lightbulb going on....

I see the opposite...

@B21  Making up for so much injury is most definitely a factor in coaching prowess.  Again I think Roy deserves to win, but Dan, faults and all, has done well with a lot of man games lost to key players.  

you have to give it up for Chief and Lappy..

I always forget about the Lappy part of the equation. Both players were heart and soul, lunch pail kind of players. That fact has nothing to do with coaching, but it does have to do with compete level. If I am a player in the room and either one of those guys speaks / puts on a video of them playing and calls me out for slacking, I am going to listen. 

I also love how Berube / staff always supports the players while being honest. The is no bus lurking in the corner bye either the players or the staff. 

Lastly, after the merry-go-round of goaltenders, I think we have a leader in that position. Many are known to be flaky (Bryz-bear-off and check-head-nek, etc.), but Mason seems very smart and with a level head. (that is not to dis bobs- whom I really liked). 

I see the opposite...

@B21  Making up for so much injury is most definitely a factor in coaching prowess.  Again I think Roy deserves to win, but Dan, faults and all, has done well with a lot of man games lost to key players.  

Agree - I don't think Berube should win it.  But I have no problem if he's a nominee.

Babcock deserves some consideration if the Wings make the playoffs.  I think they are the only team who's lost more man-games than the Pens.  Pepto Bylsma has at least had a healthy Crosby and Malkin.  Babcock has been doing it without Datsyuk, Zetterberg, et al.

• Like 1

Agree - I don't think Berube should win it. But I have no problem if he's a nominee.

Babcock deserves some consideration if the Wings make the playoffs. I think they are the only team who's lost more man-games than the Pens. Pepto Bylsma has at least had a healthy Crosby and Malkin. Babcock has been doing it without Datsyuk, Zetterberg, et al.

Good point, that's down to coaching when the stars are out.

Good point, that's down to coaching when the stars are out.

See - we can play nice.

I admire what Berube has done but at the end of the day the Flyers are just about where everyone predicted they would be.     

Roy. Babcock.  Just a bit more impressive.   

See - we can play nice.

I admire what Berube has done but at the end of the day the Flyers are just about where everyone predicted they would be.

Roy. Babcock. Just a bit more impressive.

It would be nice if you didn't start off as a smarmy prick.

I still agree, though I only said Berube should be a candidate. He won't win, and of date, shouldn't. Babcock if he makes the playoffs. Unless it turns into a political game of favorites, then who knows.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd stick this blog ref here as it is a good read on Berube.

http://thehockeywriters.com/berube-smartest-guy-in-room/

Scoop said it best, “[berube] coaches the way he played: with honesty, passion, and compassion. Everybody knows what he thinks and where they stand, but he never embarasses or mocks anyone they way say a Mike Keenan would.  Berube gets results by developing his players’ accountability to themselves, their teammates, and the TEAM, not by fear and intimidation.”

And therein lies the brilliance of the man they call ‘Chief’.