Milbury makes an a## of himself again..

Polaris922

Orpik's hit is clean as can be. Milbury sits there and says Orpik has spent a career trying to hurt people...

Wait a minute. The commentators, Keith Jones, the officials... All agree its a clean legal hit. Even Milbury refrains from saying its dirty or cheap. So why the hell does that turn into trying to hurt people? Don't you want a hard hitting defenseman to be clean? Now he's guilty of hitting clean and hurting a guy?

I can understand when people go after Neal for cheap shots. I get it 100% and usually I'm in agreement. But this?

A guy who climbs into the stands and beats up spectators shouldn't be commenting on hockey. If he does, he sure as hell shouldn't be knocking a clean hit as something you fight over. Jackass...

Game over... Milbury continues to comment calling Orpik a predator. Showing all of Orpik's hits and claiming they're all dirty.

Milbury is a stupid f%#€. Men play a violent sport. Clean hits can hurt. You don't have to fight because you throw a clean hit and a guy gets hurt.

Game over... Milbury continues to comment calling Orpik a predator. Showing all of Orpik's hits and claiming they're all dirty.

Milbury is a stupid f%#€. Men play a violent sport. Clean hits can hurt. You don't have to fight because you throw a clean hit and a guy gets hurt.

His "list" included the Ericsson hit (clean), Skinner (not clean - but he mentioned it twice) and Stepan (not clean) and that Orpik was suspended (that was the Skinner hit).

But...he doesn't fight.  Boo hoo, Mike. He should have to fight after a clean hit.

Gosh , I hate agreeing with you guys...no need to drop 'em after a big hit if it is clean.

And there is a difference between trying to "hurt" a guy and trying to "injure" a guy, I've never felt that Orpik disrespects his opponents ala James Neal. He's a large man playing a contact sport.

I was just waiting for Milbury to take off Keith's shoe and start threatening people with it. Keith Jones said it best. Clean hit or not when someone takes out your team mate, you go after them regardless of size or strength difference. That was a hard check thrown by Orpik but it was shoulder to shoulder. What I will bitch about is the fact that Rinaldo makes the same hit and is penalized for it(REPEATEDLY). If you watched the Bruins game, he made a great hit on Iginla (legal) who got up and came after Zac for the hit(something I bet he thinks twice about next time). Did Rinaldo have to go with Iggy, for the hit? No but he has never been shy about answering for his own hits, something Orpik has never done and probably never will....

Milbury lost any credibility he may have had during his time as the Islanders GM (No need to rerun his miscues again). He has made a pretty good career for himself as Don Cherry's protégé both on the ice and off but wow can he be a moron sometimes.

If he says it is going to be eighty and sunny in the morning, I am going to break out my parka......

Okay, so I watched the hit.

I realize no call was made on the ice.  Orpik comes from half a zone away.  Toews' head didn't suddenly go down; it was low the entire time.  Orpik launches himself; I don't believe this is one of those physics lessons where the feet come up just because of contact.  He launches, IMO.    Principle point of contact is the head.

I disagree that it's a clean hit.  It should have been a penalty, IMO.  I'd like to see a suspension, but Toews' got off the ice on his own power so I doubt anything comes of it. 

I just disagree it's a clean hit.

If you watched the Bruins game, he made a great hit on Iginla (legal) who got up and came after Zac for the hit(something I bet he thinks twice about next time). Did Rinaldo have to go with Iggy, for the hit? No but he has never been shy about answering for his own hits, something Orpik has never done and probably never will....

Why should he have to answer for a clean hit?

Why should he have to answer for a clean hit?

Why should he not? If you injure one of my team mates(intentional or not) I would come after you. I am real surprised that no one on the hawks did. But you are right, it is much better to let it build to another injury to some poor sap without a clue..... ;)

Edited by flyerrod

Okay, so I watched the hit.

I realize no call was made on the ice.  Orpik comes from half a zone away.  Toews' head didn't suddenly go down; it was low the entire time.  Orpik launches himself; I don't believe this is one of those physics lessons where the feet come up just because of contact.  He launches, IMO.    Principle point of contact is the head.

I disagree that it's a clean hit.  It should have been a penalty, IMO.  I'd like to see a suspension, but Toews' got off the ice on his own power so I doubt anything comes of it. 

I just disagree it's a clean hit.

OK but...if the principal point of contact is the head, how is it Toews' left shoulder (the one that made contact with Orpik - not the glass) is what was hurt?  That alone proves the principal point of contact was the shoulder.

It does look like he launches but that's all after contact...made worse by the fact that Toews had his head down at the time.  Orpik's arm comes out - not up.  Off balance follow through on the hit. 

That's textbook i/m/h/o.

Why should he not? If you injure one of my team mates(intentional or not) I would come after you. I am real surprised that no one on the hawks did. But you are right, it is much better to let it build to another injury to some poor sap without a clue..... ;)

Why should he not? Because it was a clean hit.  So I'll ask you again....why should he?

That sounds like Milbury's reply....Toews was a "poor sap with no clue"?  You realize this is professional hockey, right?  So Orpik should have eased up on him?  I'll remember that next time Rinaldo cleanly drills some "poor sap" skating up ice with his head down or admiring a pass he just made.

OK but...if the principal point of contact is the head, how is it Toews' left shoulder (the one that made contact with Orpik - not the glass) is what was hurt?  That alone proves the principal point of contact was the shoulder.

It does look like he launches but that's all after contact...made worse by the fact that Toews had his head down at the time.  Orpik's arm comes out - not up.  Off balance follow through on the hit. 

That's textbook i/m/h/o.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgIgat2GBRI

0:52 - 0:53   It's his head.  I don't know how to answer your question about the shoulder, though.

When I watched the angle immediately previous to the above, I wasn't sure he hit his head AT ALL to be honest.  But watch from this angle and his head goes from round to squoosh (technical term).  

I'm putting my money on not even a comment from the league since Toews skated off himself.  I just don't know that I buy the "clean hit" argument.

By the way, clean hit or not, I wouldn't typically classify Orpik as "dirty."  If that makes anyone feel any better.

I suspect the guy was going for a hit on a guy carrying a puck.  There's nothing wrong or dirty about that.  I just think it didn't end up being a clean hit.

0:52 - 0:53   It's his head.  I don't know how to answer your question about the shoulder, though.

When I watched the angle immediately previous to the above, I wasn't sure he hit his head AT ALL to be honest.  But watch from this angle and his head goes from round to squoosh (technical term).  

I'm putting my money on not even a comment from the league since Toews skated off himself.  I just don't know that I buy the "clean hit" argument.

Agree to disagree.  It's shoulder to shoulder.  And both of Orpik's skates are on the ice when he makes contact.

It's not even a penalty to me. I don't even think the league sniffs this one. Nor should they. 

@B21

To me it was a good hockey hit. But in todays NHL where they disect everything and break down each frame in slow motion it was what i said. And I don't think Orpik is dirty.

Rinaldo definately goes to the box on that one.

I agree that Orpik is a Penguin. That's about it.

Agree to disagree.  It's shoulder to shoulder

Did you watch that video and still those frames?   It's impossible to argue those frames are shoulder to shoulder when his head is flattened against his shoulder.  I mean, completely flush.

Agree to disagree.  It's shoulder to shoulder.  And both of Orpik's skates are on the ice when he makes contact.

It's not even a penalty to me. I don't even think the league sniffs this one. Nor should they. 

I agree that Orpik is a Penguin. That's about it.

No it isn't. Even the guys calling the game pointed it out. You can clearly see his shoulder hitting the side of Toews' head.

• Like 1

I don't know how I feel about it. I don't think it looks particularly violent or intentional (in terms of trying to kill Toews). It looks more like incidental contact with the head because Toews is crouched down a little and Orpik is tall.

No it isn't. Even the guys calling the game pointed it out. You can clearly see his shoulder hitting the side of Toews' head.

Principal point of contact is shoulder to shoulder. Legal hit. 

Keith Jones even said so (if others opinions on the hit matter). Heck, even Milbury conceded it was a clean hit.

Edited by B21

Did you watch that video and still those frames?   It's impossible to argue those frames are shoulder to shoulder when his head is flattened against his shoulder.  I mean, completely flush.

I did.  From that angle it looks flush but if you watch the frames prior to that one Toews' is leaning forward (head first) to try and play the puck which means his head was not in the....line of fire for lack of a better word?  Again - the injury tells all (plus the video i/m/o).

If there was contact with the head it was after the shoulder to shoulder which means the head was not at all the "principal point of contact" nor was it "targeted" which means the hit is legal even if you think there was contact with the head.