Pittsburgh's John Gibson Wins NHL Debut

B21

3-0 shutout over the 'Nucks.  Not a bad debut for the local kid.  Only 18 saves so it seems the 'Nucks made it easy on him.

If, by chance, he does nothing else with his pro NHL career (which I hope not to be true), he will have the claim to fame of putting the final nail in the Gillis coffin.  ;)

Didn't see the game but I think Gibson is going to be very, very good.

Couldn't agree more.  The Ducks have themselves a deep crop of netminders from the NHL on down...

• 1 month later...

And now he pitches a shutout in his first NHL playoff game. Next great goalie in the NHL imo.

And Team USA has a great tandem in Quick and Gibson.

Gibson performance in the pressure filled Stanley Cup playoffs just cost Ryan Miller a chance to play for the Ducks next season. No way they offer Miller a contract with Gibson and Andersen proving the can play at the NHL level.

Miller sucks

You won't get an argument on that from me Rux, that will be someone else ;). I just know Miller was really hoping to get an offer from a California team so he could be with his wife but I am pretty sure the Ducks won't be an option now.

Gibson performance in the pressure filled Stanley Cup playoffs just cost Ryan Miller a chance to play for the Ducks next season. No way they offer Miller a contract with Gibson and Andersen proving the can play at the NHL level.

Funny thing is they have no need for Miller.  They traded away Fasth, and still have Andersen and Gibson in the wings.  Behind Hiller who has somehow fallen out of favor.  Plenty deep at Goaltender there! 

And now he pitches a shutout in his first NHL playoff game. Next great goalie in the NHL imo.

But he's only 20 how can that be but but but......

...see age is but a number we have to rate people as individuals. I'm tired hearing the rushed this, rushed that...if he is ready you'll know rule of thumb doesn't apply to everyone.

Another exception to that rule we will find out this upcoming training camp is Ghost. That championship game was none like i'd ever seen at that level. That Ghsot shows up this upcoming preseason they'll have no choice to keep him. He can QB the 2nd PP right now.

I think he'll make the jump.

Game 7 back in LA for Gibson an he rise to the occasion we'll see. I think he has been outstanding so far.

agree 100%

That championship game was none like i'd ever seen at that level. That Ghsot shows up this upcoming preseason they'll have no choice to keep him.

Agreed. The biggest thing is going to be his body. He is a waif and truthfully I think he needs to add 10lbs in order to sustain the NHL level. 

He is a waif and truthfully I think he needs to add 10lbs in order to sustain the NHL level.

I don't know why everyone is hung up on someones weight....look around the league there are plenty of guys his size playing. It's about smart and protecting youself and not putting yourself in a vulnerable situation that can happen not matter how big you are kid has great vision and smarts i'm not worried about. I think he is mentally tough enough to make it. All he has to do is go out and play his game not try to do to much and he'll be alright.

Half the Canadians team is Ghost size. Jared Spurgeon is his size. Justin Fontaine is his size. Danny Briere. Brian Gionta.  Saku Koivu. The only size that matters is their heart. The BIGGEST muscle they can't really measure.

Another exception to that rule we will find out this upcoming training camp is Ghost. That championship game was none like i'd ever seen at that level. That Ghsot shows up this upcoming preseason they'll have no choice to keep him. He can QB the 2nd PP right now

Eh... there's a humungous big difference between what Gibson has done and what Ghost has done. Gibson dominated at the WJC (Ghost was ok but nothing special), and then was tearing it up in the AHL playoffs this year. Both of which are tougher competitions than what Ghost faced in college. He also played two years in the OHL, again, tougher competition than college hockey. I think Ghost will be a key guy for the Flyers eventually, but I think he will need some time in the AHL to adjust to playing against guys who are bigger, stronger, faster, and better than what he saw in college. I'd much rather see both he and Hagg getting lots of playing time being used in all situations with the Phantoms than getting limited minutes or sitting in the press box for the Flyers.

Both of which are tougher competitions than what Ghost faced in college.

I'm going by most recent game and that was the Championship game in which he wasn't on the ice for and scores a goal and an assist and was +7 which has never been done before....best performance i've ever seen.

Verse a team with 14 NHL prospects on it....not to just overlook or take lightly.

Verse other guys his age with kids like Seth Ambroz (215) Hudson Faching (207) Jake Parenteau (198) Nate Condon (197),Tom Serratore (195 also with the Phantoms)...some pretty big forwards and D men....that can skate well....that far out weight him. Bottom line can't hit what you can't catch.

Well lets just say we agree to disagree. Gibson has done it a little longer but Ghost is 21 and ain't gonna get to much more BIGGER. Maybe 10 more pounds but that is plenty big to play in the NHL.

But i wouldn't be mad if he had more time in the A.

I feel he'll be motivated to prove he can stick.

Like i said i've watch the college Frozen four since the early 2000s not every game but alot haven't ever seen a performance like he put on.

@OccamsRazor - he should have no trouble adding 10 lb or so, that's enough. He has the skill and the drive, but although college hockey is a lot stronger than it used to be it's still (at least imo) the least competitive "feeder" league among Canadian juniors, the AHL, and the top European leagues. I think he would benefit more by playing a bigger role on the Phantoms than a limited role on the Flyers. For me it's not so much his size that concerns me, it's just the different game he's going to see in the NHL. He's just not going to be able to do the things he was able to do in college. But he, if he makes the Flyers out of TC so be it. I just hope they don't rush him, or Hagg, or Morin. The decision should be made on the basis of what's best for the player's development, not what might help the Flyers in the short term.

He has the skill and the drive, but although college hockey is a lot stronger than it used to be it's still (at least imo) the least competitive "feeder" league among Canadian juniors, the AHL, and the top European leagues

I agree.

I think he would benefit more by playing a bigger role on the Phantoms than a limited role on the Flyers. For me it's not so much his size that concerns me, it's just the different game he's going to see in the NHL.

Again i agree but with the questionable lack of talent currently on the Flyers blueline i just wouldn't be shocked to see him start out with the BIG club. But with that it's a given for that to happen he'd have to start off where he left off in the title game.

Flyers really need someone to run the 2nd PP. I'm ok with him getting time in the A.

For the time being after hearing what Hexy said i'm expecting him to keep his word that he doesn't believe in rushing kids so with that if we see him stick i'll assume he earned it.

Flyers really need someone to run the 2nd PP

Well, if Kimmo comes back for another year then they him and Streit to run the 1st and 2nd PP. There is also Gus, if they re-sign him. I don't think filling a specific need like 2nd PP is a good enough reason to rush a guy like Ghost, unless maybe that's all you ever want him to be. Even though he 9 game rule doesn't apply to him, I'd still rather not see him bounce back and forth between the Flyers and the Phantoms.

Well, if Kimmo comes back for another year then they him and Streit to run the 1st and 2nd PP. There is also Gus, if they re-sign him. I don't think filling a specific need like 2nd PP is a good enough reason to rush a guy like Ghost, unless maybe that's all you ever want him to be. Even though he 9 game rule doesn't apply to him, I'd still rather not see him bounce back and forth between the Flyers and the Phantoms.

I agree he needs to be left a lone if he is sent down all that yo yoing to me is what has got Gus screwed up.

And it pisses me off that they did that to him instead of letting Gus work through his growing pains. And i read where they may lose him cause he is happy with how they have handled him.

He even stated he can learn sitting in the box and i agree with him.

Growing pains are part of the growth and hell he has been moved around so much with different partners i would be shocked if he is moved and goes on the be another Flyer prospect everyone later will bitch about "who got away"....you know the story.

Any ways it seems we have hi jacked this thread  and i don't want to do that.

Archived