Round 1 - Blues vs Blackhawks

hf101

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who will will this first round series?

Just wait until they get Berglund and Oshie back.  Miller will slam the door on them like he did in the OT.  Did you see him stone them on that breakaway?   Without Miller they do not win that game.   Nice to see Steve Ott greet Miller after the game.  Sabres West is what I call them.  Miller, Ott, Roy, Leopold.  I do think Hitchcock is playing with fire having Leopold out there at critical times.   Shattenkurk is the wiser choice.  Leopold is an offensive minded defenseman that is very good at protecting his own net.   But I guess he figures since he has Miller he can gamble.

Pfft. What I saw was miller letting in 3 goals in like 8 shots. The blues tightened up defense, allowing only the easiest shots through for routine saves. The AHL backup could have done as much :)

A breakaway  is never a routine save and neither is a save in a pressure packed Stanley Cup OT

Whatever :P

The consensus on the blues websites and their fans is not to resign him unless it is for 4.5 million a year or less. They were blasting him to no end about the horrible first period.

Whatever :P

The consensus on the blues websites and their fans is not to resign him unless it is for 4.5 million a year or less. They were blasting him to no end about the horrible first period.

I could see the Blues going with Elliot and Allen next year in net.

What are you smoking?  You honestly think if they go far in these playoffs they are going to just pass on Miller?  Ha As for Mr Thornton above, an answer of "whatever" means, I am correct

Nah. An answer of "Whatever" indicates I just don't care enough to argue. Miller's first period was horrendous and the team battled back and covered for him. One breakway save does not make him an animal. That's like saying Paul Coffey was amazing defensively because of the defensive play he made with his speed once in an 84 Canada cup.

You are blaming Miller for defensive breakdown's is what you are doing.  Not all of those goals were on him.  IN the end he rose to the occasion and slammed the barn door on maybe the best offensive team in hockey

Nah. Defense tightened up after he let in a few softies and protected Miller

Nah my arse.  There were meltdown's and one in OT was a breakaway and Miller stopped it.  He also stopped some screen shots that do not look spectacular but they are not easy.  He grabbed a few blasts that could have gone in.  You simply do not want to give him any credit.  But that is fine.  He gets enough from those that really matter in hockey circles and in the national media.  You must be a big Mike Milbury fan.  Mr Know it all Milbury

Nah. I hate Milbury.

But Miller is still merely an above average goaltender, but not top 5. Terrible first period, letting in 3 goals on 7 shots on one of the best defensive teams in the league, and most were on him. The team started playing better to protect him then. They saw him looking like a deer in the headlights saying "OMG, i'm in the playoffs again!"

Edited by J0e Th0rnton
  • Like 1

oohhhhhhh boy. Seabrook just killed Backes. He did not leave his feet, and he did not lead with the elbow, but I think he will be suspended a game or two.

Miller let in 3 straight goals after the blues were dominating the hawks all day with a score of 2-0 suddenly being 2-3, then with 45 seconds left on a PP, Seabrook smashes Backes. Backes looked like he wanted to fight, and like he was drunk stumbling, so it ain't good. But with the Major penalty, they scored to tie it and send it into OT again.

oohhhhhhh boy. Seabrook just killed Backes. He did not leave his feet, and he did not lead with the elbow, but I think he will be suspended a game or two.

Miller let in 3 straight goals after the blues were dominating the hawks all day with a score of 2-0 suddenly being 2-3, then with 45 seconds left on a PP, Seabrook smashes Backes. Backes looked like he wanted to fight, and like he was drunk stumbling, so it ain't good. But with the Major penalty, they scored to tie it and send it into OT again.

Backes is one of the leagues nastiest hitters, I actually liked the hit. Seabrook looked like he never left his feet but by targeting the head (IMHO) he is likely done for a game or two and that could be the rest of the Hawks season. Ouch.

Keep talking the trash.  Miller gave up a couple of goals that no goalie on Earth would have stopped.  Screens and deflections.  But when the money was on the line and he had to stand tall, he did just that fella!  Miller send them home with their tails between their legs.  Looking up and wondering how he stopped some of those shots.  Ahhhhh-Miller.     Ahhhhhhhhh

There's one person on this board continually talking trash with absolutely nothing to back it up.

It's not me.

Ryan Miller is not the reason the Blues are winning the series. The Blues doubling their goal-scoring output from the series that eliminated them the past two years is the factor.

That's not a knock on Miller, as anybody but a knee-jerk reactionary fanboy would know. That's a fact.

And I like Miller. 

And that's a very good thing for the Blues. Because Ryan Miller can still be the factor.

As anybody but a knee-jerk reactionary fanboy would know.

OK, MIller made a mistake.  He is human.  But he has kept them in it also.  St Louis is skating circles around them.  I just hope they tie it soon.  ANOTHER penalty against the Blues.  Crying whining arse Quenville needs a beer shower

OMG  5 on 3

Unfortunately for him, his one mistake cost them the game.  The Blues couldn't beat Crawford last night, and it really should've been 0 - 0 at the end of regulation.  Can't blame him for not scoring, and he played well outside of that one gaffe, but that was all it took last night.  

Unfortunately for him, his one mistake cost them the game.  The Blues couldn't beat Crawford last night, and it really should've been 0 - 0 at the end of regulation.  Can't blame him for not scoring, and he played well outside of that one gaffe, but that was all it took last night.  

So, to recap: still not the reason the Blues are winning the series...

Yes he made a bad mistake and he is the first one to know that.  H rarely allows goals to go in 5 hole like that.   But the rest of the game he did his job and the Blues could not buy a break.  They outplayed Chicago.  This is a night the Blackhawks are supposed to win and come out with fire.   They did not come out looking good.  They were outskated from the outset.  The Blues will bounce back.  I never said or expected a sweep.  Beating Chicago is not easy.  So moving on I like the Blues chances.   And how about Steve Ott?  Great game IMO

I still think the Blues will win this one as well.  Losing Backes though... that really hurt them.  I think they'll prevail, but it's a hard fought series.  

I think Backes will be back next game.  Berglund will help.  St Louis outskated them and Chicago does  not have the jump to their step they had last year.  Something is wrong.  Maybe they are just burned out?  It shows how tough it is to repeat and how good those old Islander and Edmonton and montreal teams really were.

I don't think it was as tough to repeat back then as it is now.  Honestly, dynasties could be built easily if you had the money.  No caps, less restrictions on free agents and the like...  much easier to repeat in those days then you have it now.  Now there is so much parity in many ways we're seeing more tie games than ever before.  Good, bad or indifferent. 

Instead of my usual synopsis, I would like to share my predictions for tonight in the form of a photograph I took 2 minutes whipping up :)

Hockey Junkie, I think you will appreciate the accuracy of this photograph!

Everyone else, enjoy

Miller-Lets-an-easy-one-in.gif

I need to do photo predictions more often. This one turned out surprisingly accurate.

For Next game, I think....

logo_for_simon_edhouse.gif