Ghost not interested in Flyers?

brelic

Anyone else see this bit this morning?

The bolded part makes it sound like he's not that interested in signing with the Flyers. Am I reading that wrong?

Or is he just making a point unrelated to what he actually wants to do?

Gostisbehere update

Smooth-skating defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere, who led tiny Union College to its first NCAA championship, is mulling whether to sign with the Flyers or stay in college for his senior season.

Gostisbehere was asked by the Albany Times Union if he might have more financial leverage if he left college now, rather than waiting until after his senior year.

"I guess you could look at it like that," he said. "But when you graduate, you can pick a different team sometimes, so [it goes] both ways."

Gostisbehere, who turns 21 on Sunday, was selected by the Flyers in the third round of the 2012 draft. The Flyers own his rights until Aug. 15, 2015, according to Holmgren.

Anyone else see this bit this morning?

The bolded part makes it sound like he's not that interested in signing with the Flyers. Am I reading that wrong?

Or is he just making a point unrelated to what he actually wants to do?

Yeah that is strange. Not sure why even say something like that....I guess the good news is he is a good prospect and if traded would good something of value in return..I hope. Would have for them to finally gef a steal in the 3rd and not want to play for them.

@brelic

Yeah, I saw that.  Interesting comment and I too was wondering what he meant by that.  It would be a real shame (and disappointment) if it did mean he didn't want to sign in Philly.  I was getting seriously pumped after hearing all the good things about him.

OTOH - we certainly don't want someone who doesn't want to play here.

It'll be interesting to see if there is any new follow-up to this story.......

@brelic

Don't like that comment. Maybe it's nothing but usually guys are thrilled to start their NHL careers with whoever wanted them.

Yeah, it's very bizarre, isn't it? I just don't understand why he would say that. And to take it further, why wouldn't he want to sign with the Flyers? I mean, sure, there are better teams, but you can't argue with the 2nd most playoff appearances in the past 20 years, plus we're rebuilding our defense so there should be plenty of opportunity.

It's his career, and his right to wait it out and sign with someone else. But as a Flyers fan, it would be supremely frustrating.

So, reading the first part again, he was asked if he might have more financial leverage if he left college now (and presumably signed with the Flyers) than waiting until next year.

I'm not sure why that would be the case. In both scenarios, the Flyers own his rights, and he was drafted so would get nothing more than an entry deal.

Now, the next part, seems like he considers the question and says "Well, sure, I might have some leverage now, but *if* I were to wait until next year and become a FA, then multiple teams would be competing for my services, and I would have the same kind of leverage."

Maybe he's just answering the question logically.

EDIT: I think the reporter was probably intimating that he has more financial leverage right at this moment because he just won the MOP award and his team won the championship. 

@brelic

As a talented young defenceman going forward, there aren't many teams with a better situation for him than Philly. It's a team nicely set with young talented forwards and a good young goalie that NEEDS defence. Yet two of it's best prospects other than Ghost are defencemn, so it's not like that position is totally depleted. He's got a great opportunity to make the team early in his pro career, and still be on a competitive team.

I hope it is just a context issue, but it just seems like an odd thing to say.  It really does come across as a slap in the face to the team that drafted you and is trying to give you a start in the NHL.  To even meantion the ability to choose a different team, no matter what he meant by it, was just a very poor decision in my opinion.  I hope he is not already planning his way out of Philly! 

I'm not going to worry about it until he gives me a reason to worry though!

@brelic

Don't like that comment. Maybe it's nothing but usually guys are thrilled to start their NHL careers with whoever wanted them.

Like Quebec, for instance...? Maybe NCAA guys are just smarter than those Junior players? :ph34r:

Is his compensation as a third rounder capped? Could he "get more" as a FA after his rights expire next year?

If I'm reading right, he'll be over 20 so he'll be a UFA instead of going back into the draft?

@brelic

As a talented young defenceman going forward, there aren't many teams with a better situation for him than Philly. It's a team nicely set with young talented forwards and a good young goalie that NEEDS defence. Yet two of it's best prospects other than Ghost are defencemn, so it's not like that position is totally depleted. He's got a great opportunity to make the team early in his pro career, and still be on a competitive team.

Just what from the Flyers' long history of drafting and developing defencemen would give anyone that belief?

Luca Sbisa? Kevin Marshall? Mike Ratchuk? Marc-Andre Bourdon? Oskars Bartulis?

There's your top three round defensive picks for the Flyers in the past ten years (last draft not included - also not developed and playing).

Again - trades and "he'll decide to take up needlepoint" notwithstanding - four defensive spots are taken for the next two years and the fifth is MacDonald.

I suppose Ghost could just take Homer's word for it...

very odd statement... every time he answers the "when will you play in the NHL" question I always feel like he is (1) dodging the question and (2) never really talks  positively of the Flyers.  Not that he has to go overboard with the love but he is very vanilla on the topic.   This could turn into another JvR episode and goes back to college - thus, pissing off the fornt office.  

really odd statement to make...   trade him now! :ph34r:

Here's what I understand, feel free to correct me.  He cannot turn pro until August 15, 2015(per Meltzer).  The deal with Schultz was a loophole(CBA maybe) and has now been closed.  So, Ghost has 18 months before anyone else has a shot at him.  In addition, that's 18 months he would lose towards his next deal/service time counted.  Additionally, he runs the risk of getting hurt and not getting signed by anyone, including the Flyers, if it's a major injury.  

My opinion:  the kid is a college kid..he wanted to go back to his small college of 2200 people and bask in the glory of an NCAA championship.  Other than individual glory--a shot at the Hobey Baker--there is nothing left for this kid to do in college.  He's not going to get any better playing at the NCAA from what I saw last weekend; he's simply better than most kids his age now.  

He'll sign with the Flyers, I'm guessing over the summer.  Go to training camp, and see what happens.

Edited by DaGreatGazoo

Like Quebec, for instance...? Maybe NCAA guys are just smarter than those Junior players? :ph34r:

Hence the use of the word "most".  I don't like what I heard from him cause I want him on the Flyers. It's got zero to do with NCAA.  Did YOU like the comment?

Is his compensation as a third rounder capped? Could he "get more" as a FA after his rights expire next year?

If I'm reading right, he'll be over 20 so he'll be a UFA instead of going back into the draft?

If I just played probably the game of my life on maybe the largest stage I've ever played on, I'd be thinking about making an NHL team soon, not "I could get an extra couple hundred thou ". His payday will likely come AFTER his ELC.

Just what from the Flyers' long history of drafting and developing defencemen would give anyone that belief?

Luca Sbisa? Kevin Marshall? Mike Ratchuk? Marc-Andre Bourdon? Oskars Bartulis?

There's your top three round defensive picks for the Flyers in the past ten years (last draft not included - also not developed and playing).

Again - trades and "he'll decide to take up needlepoint" notwithstanding - four defensive spots are taken for the next two years and the fifth is MacDonald.

I suppose Ghost could just take Homer's word for it...

I thought after the game I saw him play he could take his own trust in himself for it. 

four defensive spots are taken for the next two years and the fifth is MacDonald.

How you figure that?

Timo may retire. Streit is here for a while as is Coburn. Neither Schenn nor Grossman have an iron-clad lock on anything. Gus will be a RFA. Hal Gill is... Hal Gill.

Edited by JackStraw

Here's what I understand, feel free to correct me.  He cannot turn pro until August 15, 2015(per Meltzer).  The deal with Schultz was a loophole(CBA maybe) and has now been closed.  So, Ghost has 18 months before anyone else has a shot at him.  In addition, that's 18 months he would lose towards his next deal/service time counted.  Additionally, he runs the risk of getting hurt and not getting signed by anyone, including the Flyers, if it's a major injury.  

My opinion:  the kid is a college kid..he wanted to go back to his small college of 2200 people and bask in the glory of an NCAA championship.  Other than individual glory--a shot at the Hobey Baker--there is nothing left for this kid to do in college.  He's not going to get any better playing at the NCAA from what I saw last weekend; he's simply better than most kids his age now.  

He'll sign with the Flyers, I'm guessing over the summer.  Go to training camp, and see what happens.

Great post DGG!!  I hope this is exactly how it works out...

Other than individual glory--a shot at the Hobey Baker--there is nothing left for this kid to do in college.

Finish college. In one interview I read, it seemed like that was an important thing for his parents and to him.

How you figure that?

Timo may retire. Streit is here for a while as is Coburn. Neither Schenn nor Grossman have an iron-clad lock on anything. Gus will be a RFA. Hal Gill is... Hal Gill.

I figure that because four guys are signed under contract for the next two years and MacDonald is negotiating for a deal as well. That's the objective reality. Two of them have at least modified NTCs.

As I said, clearly, in my post immediately before what you quoted:

Again - trades and "he'll decide to take up needlepoint" notwithstanding

So, yeah, they could make a move to open up space for Ghost. However, there isn't a big "space available here" sign at the moment.

Additionally, he runs the risk of getting hurt and not getting signed by anyone, including the Flyers, if it's a major injury.

This is the best argument for him to sign.

He'll sign with the Flyers, I'm guessing over the summer. Go to training camp, and see what happens.

For the record, I expect this to happen as well.

I just don't expect him to be signed and then win the Conn Smythe this season :ph34r:

Finish college. In one interview I read, it seemed like that was an important thing for his parents and to him.

I read a similar article Brelic...   If he were to finish college and not sign w/ the Flyers we would then lose the rights to him, correct?

I read a similar article Brelic...   If he were to finish college and not sign w/ the Flyers we would then lose the rights to him, correct?

We have his rights until August 15, 2015. After that, he becomes a free agent, and can sign with anyone. And as far as I understand it, at that point he wouldn't be limited to the entry contract deals that drafted players are.

We have his rights until August 15, 2015. After that, he becomes a free agent, and can sign with anyone. And as far as I understand it, at that point he wouldn't be limited to the entry contract deals that drafted players are.

Gotcha...   is there any compensation if he does not sign w/ the Flyers?

@brelic

pretty sure if you're under 25 you have to sign an ELC.

under 25 you have to sign a ELC - but the terms are the question.

Again - is his salary tagged based upon his 3rd round pick? i.e. - would 1st rounders by definition make more?

I don't think this is about "a few hundred thousand dollars" (#firstworldproblems). And, most likely, it is a mountain out of a molehill.

figure that because four guys are signed under contract for the next two years and MacDonald is negotiating for a deal as well. That's the objective reality. Two of them have at least modified NTCs.

As I said, clearly, in my post immediately before what you quoted:

radoran, on 15 Apr 2014 - 08:59 AM, said:

Again - trades and "he'll decide to take up needlepoint" notwithstanding

So, yeah, they could make a move to open up space for Ghost. However, there isn't a big "space available here" sign at the moment.

That's probably going to be the case on pretty much every team in the NHL. And the Flyers D has no Norris Trophy candidates (or even All-Stars). Competition for a roster spot on the Flyers blue line is probably about as wide open as any (excluding maybe the Islanders and such...) in the next few years.