Predators Hire Coach Laviolette

hf101

Good for Peter L. I am glad he is back in hockey as a coach. However, I am not too sure if the Preds are offensively gifted enough to play his run and gun style though. Maybe we could see some significant roster moves there this summer. Maybe Hartnell and VLC for some picks??? Wishful thinking???

Well considering the Preds let go of Trotz, it looks like they are attempting to rebuild and move in a different direction.   So while it is easy to say that the current makeup of the Preds doesn't suit Lavi's style I doubt 2-3 years from now that the roster will be that much similar.   Also given the patience Trotz was shown I don't see Nashville giving Laviolette a short hook if change doesn't happen immediately.   I don't see this hire to make them competitive in the immediate but as a move to introduce a long term strategy at changing the culture.   

Edited by PhilsFanDrew

I find this to be an interesting choice by Nashville. They certainly don't have the personnel to match Lavi's style, do they?

I'm guessing they push hard for some offensive players this offseason. Some good wingers available via free agency if they've got the coin.

Edited by Commander Clueless

The Flyers have some offensive talent to spare. VLC and Read for Ellis and a 2nd? Or VLC and Read for Jones and a 4th?

I'm all for getting rid of VLC. But I think we have Ellis already. Actually Ellis may be a poor mans version of Ghost if we're lucky. Either way, we don't need two of them. And I think we have to add for jones.

@flyercanuck

Jones would be nice. I like Ellis from the standpoint that he can move the puck and run a pp, but his size scares me. I haven't really seen enough of Ghost other than 3-4 games. 

I do see that Ellis is due for a new contract though, so that may squash my idea right there.

But in agreeance with you, I'd absolutely love to have Jones on the Flyers. 

I'd hate to part ways with a versatile winger like Read, but in order to move an albatross of a contract (VLC) that may be the cost of doing business. 

@Bertmega

Ellis was an incredible junior. But his size always made me think he'd only end up being a pp quarterback at best in the NHL. I've seen Gostisbehere about as many times as you, so I'm not 100% sold on him yet. But he certainly played one hell of a championship, and that included all aspects of his game. That gave me a lot more confidence in him that he's not just all offence. Size is still a concern, but paired with the right guy his speed, smarts and skill can makeup for a lack there.

I can't see Jones being traded for anything less than overpayment.

• Like 1

I can't see Jones being traded for anything less than overpayment.

Exactly this.  No way VLC is wanted in Nashville at the price of this young man.  Hell, VLC might be baggage you have to pay them more to take, and Read certainly doesn't balance the scales.  

@Polaris922

I could see a team like Nashville taking Vinnie, hoping he's better than what they have, which isn't much. But more "we'll take him off your hands", not "here's our best young player".

They'd have to get a deal for him taking on his contract. Either in exchange for say a third round pick or something. I don't see them trading anyone of value for him.

They'd have to get a deal for him taking on his contract. Either in exchange for say a third round pick or something. I don't see them trading anyone of value for him.

Do you even know the terms of the Vinnie deal ?

The contract gets bitched about here because...well everyone's a freakin GM, but the contract is in the range for a 20/30 guy which is what Vinnie is... it's not 7 million for 7 years or 5.5 for 12 years .  ..it is 4.5 for 4 more years ,  he still has skill , he is not a "bum" and he's not making outrageous money.  A team like Nashville that needs asses in the seats could do worse. 

I think it's too much money, but I thought Matt Carle at 5.5 for 5 was too much money too, the market for a teams "projected second line centerman" is right where Vinnie's number are, on the high part of the scale but we're not talking 3 more years of Daniel Briere at 6.3...

Do you even know the terms of the Vinnie deal ?

The contract gets bitched about here because...well everyone's a freakin GM, but the contract is in the range for a 20/30 guy which is what Vinnie is... it's not 7 million for 7 years or 5.5 for 12 years . ..it is 4.5 for 4 more years , he still has skill , he is not a "bum" and he's not making outrageous money. A team like Nashville that needs asses in the seats could do worse.

I think it's too much money, but I thought Matt Carle at 5.5 for 5 was too much money too, the market for a teams "projected second line centerman" is right where Vinnie's number are, on the high part of the scale but we're not talking 3 more years of Daniel Briere at 6.3...

I'm quite familiar with his contract thank you. I'm also quite familiar with the fact that Tampa paid to be rid of him, he's 33 so his contract will put him past the 35 mark for cap purposes, and he's a career -133 player. On some strong offensively gifted teams. He was -17 this season alone, and 8 of those 20 goals were on the power play.

He's baggage. Berube even cut him to 3rd and 4th line duty. And he's the most complained about contract your team has right now.

Yes I know.

I'm quite familiar with his contract thank you. I'm also quite familiar with the fact that Tampa paid to be rid of him, he's 33 so his contract will put him past the 35 mark for cap purposes, and he's a career -133 player. On some strong offensively gifted teams. He was -17 this season alone, and 8 of those 20 goals were on the power play.

He's baggage. Berube even cut him to 3rd and 4th line duty. And he's the most complained about contract your team has right now.

Yes I know.

The 35 and over rule only applies to players who were that age when they signed. It has no bearing on a player whose contract runs into that age who signed below it. But whether he was over 35 or under doesn't make signing him any better.

Yes I know.

Context is everything

He's not right for this team, that doesn't mean he isn't a fit somewhere else and has no value .

I'm sure you previous bias against him has no bearing on you feelings about him today either.

His contract with Tampa was terrible, his contract with us is no where near as bad.

FC told you about the over 35 business, which is a non-factor, it's a matter of finding the right fit, and that might not be as hard as you have convinced yourself it will be.

Context is everything

He's not right for this team, that doesn't mean he isn't a fit somewhere else and has no value .

I'm sure you previous bias against him has no bearing on you feelings about him today either.

His contract with Tampa was terrible, his contract with us is no where near as bad.

FC told you about the over 35 business, which is a non-factor, it's a matter of finding the right fit, and that might not be as hard as you have convinced yourself it will be.

I used to like Vinny years past, but now I don't see him as a commodity worth his contract. I think if you do trade him his contract hurts you on any return. Personally I see him as baggage.

@flyercanuck

Thanks for the clarification on the over 35 contract. I'd misunderstood that. Lack of experience with it here.