Crosby is the Problem!

hf101

Can you train for season length??

Not really. The best you can do is train for strength and endurance in the summer and coming into camp. After that its up to the strength / conditioning coach as well as the head coach to attempt to maintain that level of fitness (ie. guys still need to go to the gym, they also need shut down days, proper diet, etc.). Crosby's situation might be improper diet. :-P

@Polaris922

Good post, though I disagree with the Pens outplaying the Bruins last year. That's not how I remember that series at all.

I appreciate the point about the series vs the Canadiens the year after the cup. winning the SC tournament is the toughest thing to do in team sports so, a let down after two straight finals appearances isn't a result that should be surprising, Halak played out of his mind that series too.

The problems started after he got elbowed by Steckle. A healthy Crosby and Malkin led Pgh team should not flame out the way they have been , your team is addressing the situation while these guys are still in their primes, it will be interesting to see what happens going forward .

I can't help but agree with you.  I know I'm a Flyers fan and all that rot and I'm supposed to hate Crosby.  Obviously, I don't "like" him because he's on the "enemy team," but I don't hate him like I do, say, Nash ("good player, but...") or Downie. ;)      But I didn't like some things I've seen from him particularly in this playoffs.  Also last year in the Isles and Bruins series.  I'm kind of grasping for things to explain what I saw that don't involve "he's a problem."   You and @Polaris922 both wrote fairly good posts diminishing the "a problem" thing, but if he were a Flyer and I saw those things I'd be a bit concerned.  Of course, us Flyers fans have a penchant for being concerned because a player has a bad shift, so take that for what it's worth.

Maybe it is simply the team that's been put together around him or the coaching and he's frustrated and that's the beginning and end of it.  I'd said to @Vanflyer when he was talking about trading either Crosby or Malkin that I'd prefer to see a coaching change before shipping star players out.  I don't think with a 26 year old with his resume that waiting another season or two is going to diminish his value at all so there's no harm in testing that course first.  I guess at this point, I'm just suspicious but looking for creative alternatives when maybe the simple that you guys are saying is more likely.

Just a general observation but you ("you" being a large number of Flyers fans here) tend to really overanalyze.  Not that it's a bad thing but sometimes a guy just plays bad. No undisclosed injury, concussion side effects, too much Play Station, too much Olde City, takes shifts off, is Russian, teammate was schtooping his wife, tired from the Olympics, last name is Schenn, etc. ;)

I agree wholeheartedly though. Coach.  Nothing against Bylsma but failure to adjust, poor adjustments when he did, a lack of patience and an unwilingness to play younger players in roles they were drafted and groomed for (Maatta aside - Depres, Bennett...even Tangradi).

• Like 1

Just a general observation but you ("you" being a large number of Flyers fans here) tend to really overanalyze.  Not that it's a bad thing but sometimes a guy just plays bad. No undisclosed injury, concussion side effects, too much Play Station, too much Olde City, takes shifts off, is Russian, teammate was schtooping his wife, tired from the Olympics, last name is Schenn, etc

Wow.  It's like you've looked into our soul...and found raw sewage.

Can't argue with a word of it and love the Schenn throw in!

Just a general observation but you ("you" being a large number of Flyers fans here) tend to really overanalyze. Not that it's a bad thing but sometimes a guy just plays bad. No undisclosed injury, concussion side effects, too much Play Station, too much Olde City, takes shifts off, is Russian, teammate was schtooping his wife, tired from the Olympics, last name is Schenn, etc.

Could not agree more.

Just a general observation but you ("you" being a large number of Flyers fans here) tend to really overanalyze.  Not that it's a bad thing but sometimes a guy just plays bad. No undisclosed injury, concussion side effects, too much Play Station, too much Olde City, takes shifts off, is Russian, teammate was schtooping his wife, tired from the Olympics, last name is Schenn, etc.

laughed so hard at this, i need a new cup of coffee and paper towel for my computer screen.

• Like 1

laughed so hard at this, i need a new cup of coffee and paper towel for my computer screen.

I know, right?  Best post on here in awhile.  It's funny because it's oh so true.

• Like 1

there are a lot of "Crosby apologists" around these parts... A lot of my buddies who happen to be Pens fans are Crosby apologists and how dare anyone say anything remotely negative about the man.  It is like someone is saying something against their mom and the mom happens to me Mother Theresa.

Crosby is a world class talent but has the mentality of a 13 year old brat.   I posted in another thread that if the Pens were to trade one of Malkin or Crosby who would it be?  The argument I would make is Crosby needs to be removed and ship him to another Team.   There is a Team out there that will grossly overpay for his services.  The Pens can start over, lose for a few years, lose it's fanbase, and then go nearly bankrupt and threaten to move the Team all while getting a bunch of early draft picks - again.  ;)

In all seriousness I really think Crosby's attitude should come into question.  Just watching him in the playoffs begs people to question his attitude.  Do people take it overboard?  Absolutely, people love seeing the demise of someone on top of the world/game.  

Crosby is the Justin Bieber of the NHL and his act is finally getting the attention it deserves.  

(this is all in good fun and not meant to make Pens fans go ballistic)

Edited by murraycraven

there are a lot of "Crosby apologists" around these parts... A lot of my buddies who happen to be Pens fans are Crosby apologists and how dare anyone say anything remotely negative about the man. It is like someone is saying something against their mom and the mom happens to me Mother Theresa.

Crosby is a world class talent but has the mentality of a 13 year old brat. I posted in another thread that if the Pens were to trade one of Malkin or Crosby who would it be? The argument I would make is Crosby needs to be removed and ship him to another Team. There is a Team out there that will grossly overpay for his services. The Pens can start over, lose for a few years, lose it's fanbase, and then go nearly bankrupt and threaten to move the Team all while getting a bunch of early draft picks - again. ;)

In all seriousness I really think Crosby's attitude should come into question. Just watching him in the playoffs begs people to question his attitude. Do people take it overboard? Absolutely, people love seeing the demise of someone on top of the world/game.

Crosby is the Justin Bieber of the NHL and his act is finally getting the attention it deserves.

(this is all in good fun and not meant to make Pens fans go ballistic)

I don't know how anyone can question his attitude this past playoff series. The guy busted his hump, just didn't produce. He wasn't a brat, wasn't complaining or a distraction... It just didnt work this year. 29 teams get to say the same thing. Ours is one of them.

I don't know how anyone can question his attitude this past playoff series. The guy busted his hump, just didn't produce. He wasn't a brat, wasn't complaining or a distraction... It just didnt work this year. 29 teams get to say the same thing. Ours is one of them.

yeah, in that respect you're just like Edmonton. Or Calgary. Or Miami.

So, you know, you've got that going for you.

Not like there were any expectations or anything. Just go out and play your best. That's all we can ask.

"We are the guys that go out there and want to perform and want to win, and we have that expectation." - Sidney Crosby

I just saw a lot of head shaking and some animated discussions on the bench and quite a bit of frustration.  I don't like seeing that in the captain.  It seemed like the frustration wasn't just about losing.  Turns out maybe there was some tension with the coach and maybe even a "dammit, it's happening again.  Understandable for the most part.   But I have to agree I didn't really see a lack of effort.

@radoran

If you watched all of the games, you know Crosby was pressing every shift. He had a bad game I think in game 5, but otherwise the guy pressed all the time. I still think its more the coaching than the skill set or player attitude. Systems matter in hockey. And they can win and lose entire series. Blaming Crosby, or any one individual really, is playing a blame game rather than analyzing the actual events.

@ruxpin

If there was a true dispute there, I'd lean more towards frustration with the system or lack if adapting the system.

I just think if he follows Micheal Sam's lead and just comes out that will be a huge weight lifted off his shoulders...it's 2014 Cindy it's ok to be gay if thats your thing guy will still respect you...athlete's won't mind ask Sean Avery!!! Besides we all know anyways....  :ph34r:

Blaming Crosby, or any one individual really, is playing a blame game rather than analyzing the actual events.

See, this is where I generally get annoyed (not at you Polaris) w/ most Pens fans argument.   Pens fans love to dog Malkin but anything that is remotely negative about Crosby is treated like a cardinal sin.   I dont think for a minute that he quit on his Team and he played hard.  As you said he looked to be pressing but you need your best players to show up which he has failed to do as of late.  

Again, I dont think he quit but the annoyance from most non-Pens fans comes from the way he carries himself.   The head shaking as rux put it and his general miserable appearance when things dont go his way.  

See, this is where I generally get annoyed (not at you Polaris) w/ most Pens fans argument. Pens fans love to dog Malkin but anything that is remotely negative about Crosby is treated like a cardinal sin. I dont think for a minute that he quit on his Team and he played hard. As you said he looked to be pressing but you need your best players to show up which he has failed to do as of late.

Again, I dont think he quit but the annoyance from most non-Pens fans comes from the way he carries himself. The head shaking as rux put it and his general miserable appearance when things dont go his way.

There's a difference there though. When I point at Malkin it's because he's been lazy. I don't attack my players for not producing so much as long as the effort is there. Lazy defensive play or lazy offensive play are a different story.

See, this is where I generally get annoyed (not at you Polaris) w/ most Pens fans argument.   Pens fans love to dog Malkin but anything that is remotely negative about Crosby is treated like a cardinal sin.   I dont think for a minute that he quit on his Team and he played hard.  As you said he looked to be pressing but you need your best players to show up which he has failed to do as of late.  

Again, I dont think he quit but the annoyance from most non-Pens fans comes from the way he carries himself.   The head shaking as rux put it and his general miserable appearance when things dont go his way.  

And see  - this is where Pens fans gets get annoyed....

"The annoyance from most non-Pens fans comes from the way he carries himself."

"....his general miserable appearance..."

Meaning what exactly?

Just a general observation but you ("you" being a large number of Flyers Toronto fans here) tend to really overanalyze.  Not that it's a bad thing but sometimes a guy just plays bad. No undisclosed injury, concussion side effects, too much Play Station, too much Olde City, takes shifts off, is Russian, teammate was schtooping his wife, tired from the Olympics, last name is Schenn, etc.

Fixed if for ya!  :ph34r: