Carter!

King Knut

Ha yeah i forgot all about that. [edit: @AJgoal]

For me that series is all about Leighton's meltdown. As fast as the Flyers offense was falling apart we were still THISCLOSE right up till Kane's OT winner.

How the hell a guy goes from saving the day in Boston (G5 after Ryan "where is he now?" Parent crushes Boosh's legs)... then plays 2 great games to win the ECF on the road ... to total collapse.

I'd never blame just 1 guy - even the goalie! lol - but godalmighty that has to be the worst piece of goaltending ever in the SCF. The calls and non-calls, Crater, Pronger, Toews, Kane... barely even remember their performances. But Leighton's ... no Flyers' fan will ever forget.

Edited by canoli

Why is it so many have needed to go elsewhere to make names for themselves?  Why not make that name with the Flyers?

I would argue that both Carter and Richards made names for themselves with the Flyers. Otherwise they wouldn't have returned the nice haul they did when traded.

The funny thing is that the Crater lives on, but I don't recall who did it originally either.  My best guess is either Flyguys03 or JSSFOUR, but I honestly couldn't tell you.  @radoran could probably tell you.

It was @davies backinaday that had the original typo (and she is/was a Crater fan).

I just Lettermanned it into the ground - with a little help from my friends :D

• Like 1

Davies in fact coined the word Crater, as Mr. Radoran reminded me only days ago.

I'm surprised she doesn't frequent more often...she used to be a regular on the other boards.

I think she's still on certain forums of Hockeybuzz...

Crater. Right, as if he's a totally worthless player. I swear I never understood the amount of hatred this guy generated. I got as frustrated as the next guy watching him fly down the wing and rifle off shot after shot high n wide. And a big, strong kid who flat out tells you "I don't hit" probably won't have many fans in Philly. But it was like people were blind to anything good he did.

Gagne never hit either, but knew how to position well and "rub" the player out. I think with carter it was his gait (skating stride) is deceiving. It looks as if he is not trying. That is number one. Number 2, the high and wide with one of the best wrist shots in the league gets old after awhile. 

He was a good two way player, no doubt, but always a perimeter player (gagne was as well). What I see now in him that impresses me most is not only does he get on his high horse for the full rink all the time, but he is also playing in all the hard spots of the ice. Many lament his crybaby stuff in Columbus, but Lindros did much worse, not once, but twice. 

I can't speak for flyer fans as a whole, or one, but for me, it sometime looked like he didn't care- ie. the game was too easy for him. Now, it looks like as if he cares and the game is still easy for him, but he pays the price more these days and gets rewarded. 

• Like 1

I am sure the Flyers wish they still had him.

That is the funniest thing i have read in this short 2014 season. Show me anywhere where some Flyer fan has said that anywhere....we don't agree on a lot us Flyers and that is ok but i promise you if you take a survey it will be easily the one thing we all will agree on....no i no way do we miss Carcillo.

And don't overlook the West Coast teams no matter which one ones out because because Boston proved last year just because you have a defensive minded team and solid goalie doesn't guarantee a Cup, the up and down style play of the two teams can break that system.

The question i have can the Rangers hang with LA or Chicago's scoring machine...form what i've seen i don't think so.

They will get a hell of a lot more test that what Montreal through at them.

Gagne never hit either, but knew how to position well and "rub" the player out. I think with carter it was his gait (skating stride) is deceiving. It looks as if he is not trying. That is number one. Number 2, the high and wide with one of the best wrist shots in the league gets old after awhile. 

He was a good two way player, no doubt, but always a perimeter player (gagne was as well). What I see now in him that impresses me most is not only does he get on his high horse for the full rink all the time, but he is also playing in all the hard spots of the ice. Many lament his crybaby stuff in Columbus, but Lindros did much worse, not once, but twice. 

I can't speak for flyer fans as a whole, or one, but for me, it sometime looked like he didn't care- ie. the game was too easy for him. Now, it looks like as if he cares and the game is still easy for him, but he pays the price more these days and gets rewarded. 

Nice post Van.

I was never a Crater-hater, but found him frustrating. You could see there was more there. But there are plenty of goalscorers who don't break a sweat when the action is in their own end.

But there are plenty of goalscorers who don't break a sweat when the action is in their own end.

Thats kind of a misnomer regarding Crater. Its a bit of a dichotomy when you would watch richards shift v. carter shift. Richards had to huff and puff much more and certainly was more tanasive, but Carter was not a slouch- just not to the tenacity of Richards and certainly not physical. Hitch whipped both those boys hard regarding the d-end (and thus why Hitch is no longer with the Flyers). Ritchie always had the instinct to play 200 feet. Carter did as well in Jr., but waned a bit at the pro level. 

Now, I see that Carter has finally figured it all out. No sour grapes. I love his willingness to drive to the net AND stand in front of the net. I am sure that HItch, Bake a cake, and Lavi would have loved to have him do that as a Flyer. But past is past and someone got into his head in LA. Kudos. I will still take Couturier / Jake any day of the week for him. 

Aside from that, there was an article I was reading out of Columbus lamenting the trail of the trades between Columbus / Philly / LA / NYR. Mostly how nearly half their team at point in time was competing on wining teams (more NYR / LA than Philly). I chuckled a bit because it was very near sited. The author does not know what they have in the fold (one bird in the bush type of thing). 

Yet I digress. 

Good on carter. Go Hawks (Toews is probably my favorite player in the league right now- ahead of Giroux). 

I always thought Carter did a good job of getting into passing lanes defensively. He may not have got "dirty", but he was no Danny Briere on the backcheck either.

Agreed. He was no slouch. Their is just a big difference between watching ritchie run around and carter glide around. People get confused about the effectiveness of being 6'3 and able to skate well (not first gear skate, but 2nd to 4th), plus your stick.