Ryan Malone Gets Another Shot

TropicalFruitGirl26

@Irishjim posted Darren Dreger's tweet on this in the shoutbox, I am starting a thread for it...thank you Jim for bringing this up.

I have a link from CBS sports here that confirms the tweet.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24705397/ryan-malone-gets-second-chance-agrees-to-terms-with-rangers

Ryan Malone, who had a terrible 2013-14 that culminated with an arrest for DUI and drugs, and who had been bought out by the Tampa Bay Lightning, will get another look from the NY Rangers.

Prior to the Rangers, Malone was talked about possibly going to Philadelphia, but that turned out to be a no-go there.

Malone's deal with NY is for $700K, but it IS a two-way deal (he makes only $100K if he is bogged down at AHL Hartford), so Ryan has plenty of incentive to come to the NY Rangers in shape, stay out of trouble, and play at a high level so he can stay on top with the Rangers in Manhattan rather than the WolfPack in Hartford, CT.

I gotta tell ya, Malone should thank his lucky stars another team is giving him another chance.
Given his age, his eroding skill set, his penchant for injury, and the trouble he has gotten himself into while with the Lightning (not to mention that he often seems out of game shape), it would have been no surprise if not a single NHL team wanted anything to do with him.

NYC...bright lights, big city, does NOT seem like the kind of place where a guy with a coke problem should be, but the Rangers nonetheless are gambling a bit that he can still bring something to the team...first with in the minors, then the big club.

Even though Malone will not be the same guy who played for the Pens and Lightning at full strength, if he is indeed focused on remaining an NHL player, he can be quite handy as a solid 3rd or 4th liner with a good scoring touch still from up close on the net....CAN bring the physicality and some nastiness to the team somewhere along the lines of the former Ranger, current Canadien, Brandon Prust.

Aside from keeping himself clean, Malone will also have to avoid injury. His age and physical style often lead him to have various chronic injuries, so that will be just one more hurdle he will have to overcome.

I liked Ryan Malone on the Lightning when he was focused and playing regularly. He will no longer see top six minutes on any team, but he can bring some offense from the bottom 6, open up some space for some hard checking linemates, and park himself in front of the net, possibly on a 2nd PP unit, waiting for a big shot from the blue line.

I do wish him well because I did appreciate his contributions to the Lightning, and he does seem remorseful over his actions this past seasons.

Let's see if he can sidestep the MANY temptations NYC has to offer (should he make it out of Hartford that is), and stay focused on the play on the ice.

Agreed @B21

At age 34 (turns 35 in Dec), he would have had an uphill climb with his injury history and much slowed down speed (not that he was ever a speed demon mind you) as it was.

Throw in a habit, and the focus away from hockey due to off the ice issues, and he quickly becomes a non factor not only at the NHL level, but even for the minors.

He was a favorite in Tampa Bay as well because he was one of those guys who made sure no one bothered MSL, VLC, or Steven Stamkos when they were trying to do their thing on the ice.

He could hit hard, but hit clean, he would stick his nose in scrums, yet avoid taking the bad penalty (up until recently when all that slipped), and he always made sure he returned a good check on his star players with one on the opposing team star players.....and he did all that while still being able to play the game of hockey.

Rangers lost a lot of grit when they traded away many of their pieces to get Rick Nash, and lost more when they failed to re-sign Brandon Prust.

Obviously, even a healthy, clean Ryan Malone can't replace all that, but if he can be on the ice, he will certainly help for as long as he can before the inevitable injury occurs.

The Rangers could do a lot worse for the $700K he will be making.

Oh, and @Irishjim , that wouldn't be Jim Carey would it?  :lol:

Didn't think so........aaallllllriiighty then!

NYC...bright lights, big city, does NOT seem like the kind of place where a guy with a coke problem should be, but the Rangers nonetheless are gambling a bit that he can still bring something to the team...first with in the minors, then the big club.

Theo Fleury says hello. Actuall Theos worst days were in Calgary. Who thunk that Calgary would have so much coke? 

Your point is right thought, of all places NY and LA would be the last two places I would ever see Malone land. I was thinking somewhere like Columbus. 

Rangers lost a lot of grit when they traded away many of their pieces and screwed the pooch (again) to get Rick Nash, and lost more when they failed to re-sign Brandon Prust.

I love Nash at the international level. When he is surrounded by all stars he shines. The thing is, he is a dud otherwise. 

Columbus won that trade hands down. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
@TropicalFruitGirl26

Good for both sides.  Low risk - medium reward for the Rangers and he gets a chance to redeem himself.  Here's hoping he's clean and stay clean.  He was always a Pittsburgh favorite.

I was sorry to see him leave Pittsburgh! Let's hope he doesn't have another stupid attack!

Archived