Umberger

off_the_post

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah. I saw both yours and @jammer2 's post after posting mine. Completely agree with both of you

I don't know, call me dilusional or whatever. But when I look at the Flyers D, there is not a single player that is dynamic. All I see is one dimensional man-to-man. While there is nothing wrong with that, but if your entire d-core is built on one-dimensional players, you have a problem.

I personally do not care. This season to me is a write-off. Its a harsh thing to say, but probably accurrate. The ONLY thing I really care about is Mason. I want to see him perform the same as last year- sans the porous dfense in front of him. If he does that, I will be estactic because I know the calvary is on the way.

All that said, I do not have the patience to wait 5 more years for that calvary. 1-2 tops.

This message was brought to you by Ed Snider.

@Vanflyer   Yeah, I've thought that for quite a while, there is no d-man on the Flyers that you can flat out call dynamic....the cure is on the way though, Ghost can most certainly be classified that way, as well as Sanheim a few years down the road.

as well as Sanheim a few years down the road.

I will be dead by then.

Bad joke, but all in jest.

Seriously, this team will be a monster in 3-4 years. The key is and will remain on Mason and his psyche. If he has the patience to let the shite fly at him for a couple of years, he and the team will be rewarded.

(I feel like I am talking about the Columbus Blue Jackets!!!)

What scares me about this defensemen prospect talk is that it is now over six years since we drafted Lucas Sbiza at #19.

And he's been traded twice, is 24,and is still not a full timer. Patience is a great thing, but I'm not getting any younger.

Patience is a great thing, but I'm not getting any younger.

Oh God....I can relate!!   I have one more giant round of patience in me, but anything past that, and I'm starting to look at the death sentence smoking will provide....so I'm one LOOOONNNGGGG round and OUT!! 

What scares me about this defensemen prospect talk is that it is now over six years since we drafted Lucas Sbiza at #19.

And he's been traded twice, is 24,and is still not a full timer. Patience is a great thing, but I'm not getting any younger.

So you're saying it was a mistake to bring him up so young and push him into a situatikn he wasn't ready for?

#morin

@radoran   Ya know, I've always sat back and wondered if Sbisa would have been a different player if he did not play in the NHL as a 18 year old. We'll never know of course, but my gut says he missed some crucial development as a youngster....he missed his chance to be dominant and it just might have messed him up a bit.

I have hated the trade since day one... I truly understand it from the financial aspect. Umbie is versatile and can play anywhere in the lineup which gives The Chief options... I am in wait and see mode...

Rather have Hartnell but also rather have a bad contract end two years earlier...

@radoran   Ya know, I've always sat back and wondered if Sbisa would have been a different player if he did not play in the NHL as a 18 year old. We'll never know of course, but my gut says he missed some crucial development as a youngster....he missed his chance to be dominant and it just might have messed him up a bit.

Fact is most observers say dmen don't emerge until their mid-20s.

There aren't that many exceptions to the rule,

@radoran  Luca still seems to struggle with when to pinch and when not to....I wonder if he got some more coaching as a kid if he would have developed that skill a little stronger and be more dependable as a result. He always seemed to enjoy hitting, I loved that physical part of his game.

Like Thoresen (hi @hf101)

ha.

Going back to your statement earlier Rux about why was Umby a healthy scratch for 4 games, I'd say it probably had a lot to do with his shoulder injury he had at the end of the season, missing two weeks, and after being cleared to play he might not have really been ready to play. 

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=715402

i've been around flyers boards for some 15 years now, so i don't know why this still surprises me, but....really?  the guy can play all three forward positions, has 5 20+ goal seasons under his belt (6 18+ seasons), has been a consistent .5 p/g player from day 1 of his career, is defensively reliable, is more physical than most (though far less than some, obviously), and has no particularly glaring weakness to his game.  no, he doesn't have a particular strong point to his game, either, but there is nothing wrong with just being well rounded.  in the worst case, this is a thoroughly average NHL player.  statistically above average, but there is enough chaff at the bottom of that barrel to not make a real case of that...but still.

amazingly great pick up?  no.  silver bullet for the team's problems?  no.  cornerstone of the team going forward?  no.  useful player who adds experienced multi-role depth to any part of the flyer's forward lineup needed?  definitely.  

and yet, he ought to be bought out, sent to the 4th line to get 5 minutes per night, buried in the minors, has no discernible skill set, is a waste of a roster spot, is entirely worthless as a player.

so, here is my question:  is it a flyers' fan thing, or a hockey fan thing in general, for players to either be superstars or complete and utter garbage, with nothing in between?  is it just philadelphia, or is it people from everywhere who give zero value to capable mid-roster players?

This post, the original one not yours, is one of the dumbest I've seen. Seasons hasn't even started and this is already the worst move ever made.

The jackets weren't taking hartnell's contract for nothin. We took their dead albatross and they took ours.

But I think RJ can do just fine here in the end.

He's not lazy.

He's pretty responsible defensively.

He's fairly smart in hockey sense.

He doesn't have top notch talent and he's not going to outwork most of the league.

But that said I don't think he's going to bring the team down.

If I'm Hextall and either he or Vinny are half decent enough that someone will trade for them, I pull that trigger.

But in the mean time, they simply have to figure out how to use these pieces together to the best utility. They're not god awful. They're just not going to get it done on their own.

This is G's and Wayne's and Jake's and Coots' and hopefully Schenn's team now. RJ and VLC are wasteful extras, but I have confidence they can be used constructively.

Well, he's not THE man. He lost his linemates, gained new management, and in turn, they kind of screwed him. I don't blame him for struggling to fit in. I agree with @aziz in that he's a decent player. I think he needs to be utilized properly though. He's not a stud.

The CBJ were just over him, and it was reflected on ice.

Archived