Give it up Gagne

fanaticV3.0

It's not as big a story because he's not as big a name as Forsberg, but his refusal to just "let it go" is of similar levels. It's been years since he's close to being a relevant player.

I 100% disagree. Gagne is only 34 and can still be a really good player (noggin issues aside). The only reason he is not on the Bruins roster is because of the cap.

I 100% disagree. Gagne is only 34 and can still be a really good player (noggin issues aside). The only reason he is not on the Bruins roster is because of the cap.

There is no "aside" anymore. The aside who he is and has been for years. That's the point. I'm sorry the guy's essentially been ripped off of a full career because of injuries, but it's the reality of the situation. He has not been healthy for a long time.

There is no "aside" anymore. The aside who he is and has been for years. That's the point. I'm sorry the guy's essentially been ripped off of a full career because of injuries, but it's the reality of the situation. He has not been healthy for a long time.

While I don't disagree on the "injury prone" point, I do not think its anywhere near or similar to the Foppa situation. Forsberg had a wanky ankle that he just could not skate anymore. Foppa should have hung it up. There is no reason why Gagne should. Fragile, sure. But career ending disability, no.

And yet, none of his injuries are of the career ending sort.

If a guy loves the game so much he is willing to play even while fading away for very little salary, who are we to tell him to retire?

I'd rather have Gagne playing for $1 million on the 4th line that John Scott, Adam Burish or Mike Brown Ill tell you that. Injury prone or not, he is inexpensive, reliable defensively and would chip in more offensively that John Scott or Mike Brown, who are horrid in their own end and only contribute about 1 to 5 points. both also play around 20-40 games max because, well, they suck and get benched. Gagne would play 20-40 games, get injured, yet be much more reliable when he is there.

Curious how he can be a cap casualty when he is on a PTO?

He doesn't have a cap number yet...

Nothing official yet, but it appears ex-#Flyers winger Simon Gagne will make Bruins' roster and face his old team Wed.

B-b-b-but, the Great And All Powerful Oz has spoken!

I liked Gagne twenty years ago (it's not that long ago; it just seems it). I appreciate him trying, but the guy is done.

No, he's not a disaster or anything (unless one hit to the noggin qualifies) but he's pretty much just "oh yeah, he was there too" at this point.

The injuries really are a shame.

The Bruins at times seem to take on project players....ones who were at fairly/very good  but seemed like they lost a step or two....brought themn in to see if they could revitalize thir career.

Marc Recchi. Miroslav Satan. Even Iginla....who was considered to have lost a step  was brought in.

Usually there was a degree of success when they did this especially with Recchi in 2011 winning the SC.

With Gagne....not sure about him. To far removed from the game. 4th liner? I don't know. Rather see a younger guy with decent wheels in there  like Ryan Spooner.

One thing I am glad about.....Shawne Thornton not being a Bruin. Was a fan of his....but he outstayed his welcome and just ended up doing plenty of stupid things last year.

Curious how he can be a cap casualty when he is on a PTO?

He doesn't have a cap number yet...

B-b-b-but, the Great And All Powerful Oz has spoken!

they don't have the room to sign him O great and Magnificent Oz. some salary dump to the ahl is what needs to happen..now back to the movie and stay out of the poppy fields they will make you sleepy

What is PTO?

Also, looks like I stand corrected. I looked at cap geek and he is not listed anywhere on the bruins as he is unsigned.

Personal Try Out

They invited him to camp without a contract.

they don't have the room to sign him O great and Magnificent Oz. some salary dump to the ahl is what needs to happen..now back to the movie and stay out of the poppy fields they will make you sleepy

No, no, no. I'm the scarecrow. :ph34r:

""No, it's just between me and Homer," Gagne said. "All the other stuff - (chairman Ed) Snider, the trainers ... It's always going to be my team. When I retire, I'm going to look at myself with a Flyers jersey more than the other teams even though I won a Cup with LA. I was there for 12 years. I have so many good memories there. It was a second home. That's what was tough when it went down like that."

I have a new fondness for Gagne.

And yet, none of his injuries are of the career ending sort.

If a guy loves the game so much he is willing to play even while fading away for very little salary, who are we to tell him to retire?

I'd rather have Gagne playing for $1 million on the 4th line that John Scott, Adam Burish or Mike Brown Ill tell you that. Injury prone or not, he is inexpensive, reliable defensively and would chip in more offensively that John Scott or Mike Brown, who are horrid in their own end and only contribute about 1 to 5 points. both also play around 20-40 games max because, well, they suck and get benched. Gagne would play 20-40 games, get injured, yet be much more reliable when he is there.

The amount of games he plays a year, it doesn't matter. There are only a very small number of players who are so good that few number of games is still worth it and Gagne sure as **** ain't one of them. Gagne will do nothing of merit this year, just like he hasn't for the last several.

Good luck to the Beuins

With your moniker, may I inquirer if you are a vietnam vet?? I am not fond of jane either, but not to extent to make a moniker with her name in it. Yet, I could easily see a vet choosing that.

Just curious.

I didn't really pick up on this in the first article I posted, but I just came across this one: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/bruins/post/_/id/16995/gagne-still-hopes-to-earn-bruins-roster-spot. This in particular stood out to me:

"He's getting better, and we'll see where it goes in a short period of time," Chiarelli said.

"They're being smart with giving me more time to feel better."

"It gives them a little bit more time to look at what's going on here with the young guys, and for me to get better."

I didn't even realize he wasn't ready to play. Is this guy for real? What's he trying to get ready for? A third of a season and 15 points? This is kinda sad to watch actually. It's pathetic.

Archived