Prospect update 2014-2015

brelic

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phantoms lose tonight 5-4 so why the hell wasn't Stolarz in net tonight Zepp played last night give the 33 year old a night off in back to back games. He gave up 4 goals on 31 shots.

Flyers should have sent Stolarz back to London if they weren't going to play him he doesn't need to learn how to open the bench door. I swear this club has no idea how to groom a goaltender.

Phantoms lose tonight 5-4 so why the hell wasn't Stolarz in net tonight Zepp played last night give the 33 year old a night off in back to back games. He gave up 4 goals on 31 shots.

Flyers should have sent Stolarz back to London if they weren't going to play him he doesn't need to learn how to open the bench door. I swear this club has no idea how to groom a goaltender.

Stolarz is 21, he can't go back to juniors. He's also played 26 games, Zepp has played 31. Seems fine to me considering that Stolarz is a rookie. And I've watched plenty of Phantoms games this year and right now Zepp is better. Stolarz will get his chance.

Stolarz is 21, he can't go back to juniors

No he could have played juniors. Flyers didn't give him the option Goulbourne is playing juniors right now...they are 6 days a part. Not sure when the cut off ate is but he is eligible. They should have just sent him back.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=131368

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=56840

All the Flyers no how to do is mismanage prospects it seems.

No reason to play a 33 year old in back to back games...Stolarz should have played it doesn't matter now there will be no playoffs for them...play the kid he needs the work.

No he could have played juniors. Flyers didn't give him the option Goulbourne is playing juniors right now...they are 6 days a part. Not sure when the cut off ate is but he is eligible. They should have just sent him back.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=131368

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=56840

All the Flyers no how to do is mismanage prospects it seems.

No reason to play a 33 year old in back to back games...Stolarz should have played it doesn't matter now there will be no playoffs for them...play the kid he needs the work.

I don't know the exact situation with his junior team but teams have a limit to how many overage players they can have. Goulbourne did sign a contract with the Flyers so they didn't have much say in his decision. And like I said, Stolarz has played plenty, especially for a rookie. And he's been ok, but nothing spectacular. The AHL is where he belongs and he's getting the appropriate playing time. He looks promising but he's really not that good right now. No reason to over work him.

He looks promising but he's really not that good right now.

That is my point he needs to play look at the good goaltenders on some of these teams and that are developing the guys they drafted and they are playing the Lion share not riding the pine.

He needs fo play to work on his game he is 21 not 19 or just turning 20 they nned to get him going and Zepp playing back to back games just isn't shwoing him the club has confidence in him.

He can't get better watching.

I don't know the exact situation with his junior team but teams have a limit to how many overage players they can have. Goulbourne did sign a contract with the Flyers so they didn't have much say in his decision. And like I said, Stolarz has played plenty, especially for a rookie. And he's been ok, but nothing spectacular. The AHL is where he belongs and he's getting the appropriate playing time. He looks promising but he's really not that good right now. No reason to over work him.

In his first AHL season, Stolarz is putting up numbers similar to Tukka Rask's first season, but Stolarz is doing so behind a worse team. He's going to be fine, but they really need a goaltending coach in Lehigh Valley. He's not getting the coaching he requires.

I guess the Flyer brass think you need to spend a year learning to open the bench door for your teammates for line changes before you can start in net!!!

#babysteps

He's playing. 26 GP for Stolarz, 31 GP for Zepp. And Stolarz isn't having a good season. 3.11, .908. 

That's a near 50/50 split - pretty decent for a 20 year old rookie.

Stolarz apparently hasn't shown he deserves more starts. You don't just get things handed to you at that level, you know. You have to earn starts. You have to earn ice time. Stolarz hasn't.

There's lots of time for him to develop. 

In his first AHL season, Stolarz is putting up numbers similar to Tukka Rask's first season, but Stolarz is doing so behind a worse team. He's going to be fine, but they really need a goaltending coach in Lehigh Valley. He's not getting the coaching he requires.

I hear Reese is available. 

Can you remind me again, what this act is called ?

A good ol fashioned beat down in todays terms.

I don't remember seeing a flyers defenseman do this much anymore

Because it really hasn't since the Flyers defensemen he reminds me of. This kid will bring some snarl this blueline sorely needs. Can't wait. He'll just have to learn to channel it and when to not use it....it will come with age.

Haven't seen this posted yet. It's an update on our top 20 prospects.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/120043/top-20-philadelphia-flyers-prospects-deep-defense/

Farm is getting deeper...nice...good to see.them cultivating some potential Flyer replacement parts...some sooner than others.

HATS OFF FOR NICK COUSINS…AGAIN!

Penalty-Shot Goal for Cousins Hat Trick Seals 4-3 Win at Toronto

http://www.phantomshockey.com/hats-off-for-nick-cousins-again/

March 11, 2015

Toronto, ON – Nick Cousins sealed his second hat trick of the year in dramatic fashion via a penalty shot late in the third period and the Lehigh Valley Phantoms prevailed at the Toronto Marlies 4-3 on Wednesday night in the opener of a five-game road trip.

With 2:22 remaining in the third and the Phantoms leading 3-2, Cousins was whacked on the arm on a breakaway try. On the first penalty shot in Lehigh Valley history, Cousins raced forward from the get-go but then put on the brakes and slowed to a crawl once he closed in. Then moving to his right, Cousins elevated a backhand beauty over the glove of Chris Gibson for the hat-trick clincher.

Cousins scored his opening two tallies in the first period, both from the right circle beating Gibson on the glove-side. Jason Akeson also lit the lamp for the Phantoms with a power-play strike in the second period and Rob Zepp turned aside 28 Marlies drives to preserve the win. Andrew Gordon recorded three assists in the game while Adam Comrie registered a pair of helpers.

The penalty-shot goal by Cousins was the first for the Phantoms’ franchise since October 26, 2012 when Zac Rinaldo was successful in his attempt at the Albany Devils against Jeff Frazee.

Cousins has scored both hat tricks by the Lehigh Valley Phantoms having also accomplished the feat on January 17 at PPL Center against the Binghamton Senators. He is just the third player in the AHL to notch multiple hat tricks this season joining Teemu Pulkkinen of Grand Rapids and Garret Ross of Rockford.

Byron Froese had staked the Marlies to an early 1-0 lead following an earlier attempt by former Phantom Kevin Marshall from the left wing. But Cousins goals later in the period would push Lehigh Valley to a 2-1 advantage at the first break.

Matt Frattin had blasted home a power-play strike late in the second period to even the score at 2-2. But Jason Akeson responded with a center-point drive early in the third on a Phantoms’ power-play that glanced off the left pad of Gibson on the other side of a Zack Stortini screen.

Teenage prospect William Nylander scored in the closing seconds of the third period for Toronto a couple minutes after Cousins’ hat-trick tally. But the Marlies last-ditch efforts for the equalizer fell just short when the buzzer sounded ending a frenetic scramble in the slot.

Lehigh Valley swept the two-game season series against Toronto and also finished with a 3-0 record north of the border including a pair of wins at St. John’s in January.

The Marlies outshot the Phantoms 31-30. Lehigh Valley was 2-for-4 on the power-play while holding Toronto to 1-for-5

This kid could/should push hard for a spot on the team next year during camp or preseason.

Farm is getting deeper...nice...good to see.them cultivating some potential Flyer replacement parts...some sooner than others.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few of them get a couple games with the Flyers before the season's out. A little reward for some of their hard work this year. 

Outside of that, I can't bring myself to watch a full Flyers game these days.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few of them get a couple games with the Flyers before the season's out. A little reward for some of their hard work this year. 

Outside of that, I can't bring myself to watch a full Flyers game these days.

I agree but they won't they are fighting for a playoff spot in the AHL so it ain't happening.

Wow. He's a beast.

I must admit, had a big ol smile watching that....it's been a while since we had a d-man who could throw down like that....and the reach, just really nice to see!!

Archived