Jake on pace.....

Vanflyer

You only have a few shots at contracts in the NHL, so it would make sense to give it all.....100% from the get go. Not only for monetary gain, but for self pride and the respect of your teammates.

It requires a tremendous amount of discipline and that's what I'm getting at with the comment on youngins. All of them clearly have the talent because they made it to the NHL. Not all of them have the same level of focus, mental discipline, and self-control to sustain it for an entire career. That's why we see ebbs and flows for most players. 

Crosby is one of the best players in the world not because he's more talented than others. He's more talented than others because he has an unrelenting mental focus and discipline to be better. It's what's between his ears that makes him leaps and bounds better than others.

Jake seems to be understanding that and it's paying off on the ice. I thought it was funny when he said that he feels great, has more energy in the 3rd period (I think he has the most 3rd period points in the NHL so far), but that his mom didn't like that he lost all that weight. Haha!

but that his mom didn't like that he lost all that weight. Haha!

HA....got a chuckle out of that also.

Crosby is one of the best players in the world not because he's more talented than others. He's more talented than others because he has an unrelenting mental focus and discipline to be better. It's what's between his ears that makes him leaps and bounds better than others.

Well said bro, well said.

Ironically, it's what is between the ears is also his biggest downfall.  When Sid allows other to rent out free space in his head (in the playoffs, with it all on the line no less!!) it greatly lessens his impact on the game and it also takes the wind out of his teammates sails. It appears that as Sid goes, so go the Pens.

He is quietly becoming elite.  Well, maybe not *that* quietly, because many of us saw the last year as a start of the breakout season for him.  I am really happy to see that he finally starts proving many nay-sayers wrong.  He always had proper tools. And now, after he was put in the right position to succeed, he took a strong hold of it and it doesn't seem like he is letting it go any time soon, which, of course, is great for the Flyers. 

What I am personally discovering now is how great of playmaking abilities he has.  I always knew that he could score and use his puck control and physicality to get open.  But I honestly had no idea that he sees ice so well.  At times, it almost looks like *he* and not Giroux is a centerman on that line.

Either way, Jake worked really hard to get to where he is now.  He earned it. 

When Sid allows other to rent out free space in his head (in the playoffs, with it all on the line no less!!) it greatly lessens his impact on the game and it also takes the wind out of his teammates sails.

And that's probably just about the only downside of the otherwise perfect game Crosby has.  Like @brelic said, Crosby is absolutely head and shoulder above everybody else in the NHL right now. 

And that's probably just about the only downside of the otherwise perfect game Crosby has.  Like @brelic said, Crosby is absolutely head and shoulder above everybody else in the NHL right now. 

He always was. Many used to argue that Ovechkin was better. He never was. Better scorer? Yes. Heavier hitter? Yes. Bigger showoff? Absolutely. Crosby was always better at every other aspect of the game.

As important as Berube's mandate was of everyone coming into camp in top shape, don't think forget about the influence Jagr had on Voracek. Even though Jaromir was only here for one year, he took Voracek under his wing and taught him a few things. I still wish Jagr was part of the club......

@BobbyClarkeFan16   That is a great point. Having a sure fire HOF'er from your home country playing on your team....that can leave a real impression. I'm sure in his native Czech, Jagr is considered the elite of elite, so having the honour to learn off him would be priceless for Jake.

What I am personally discovering now is how great of playmaking abilities he has. I always knew that he could score and use his puck control and physicality to get open. But I honestly had no idea that he sees ice so well. At times, it almost looks like *he* and not Giroux is a centerman on that line.

I agree with all you stated, but feel the opposite. I always regarded him as a playmakier first. Just entering his prime (25 y/o) 4.25m a cap hit. Flyers need to resign him this summer (UFA after next season). He is due for a significant raise.

Jagr is considered the elite of elite,

One of the things I never knew about Jagr until he donned the O&B is his work ethic. After a game, he goes to the gym and works out for an 1-1.5 hours. I also remember reading a while back (before he was a Flyer) about the strength conditioning he does in the off-season for his legs- my jaw dropped reading it.

One of the things I never knew about Jagr until he donned the O&B is his work ethic. After a game, he goes to the gym and works out for an 1-1.5 hours. I also remember reading a while back (before he was a Flyer) about the strength conditioning he does in the off-season for his legs- my jaw dropped reading it.

Jagr has always been a work out warrior. He became even more dedicated to fitness once he turned 30. It's part of the reason that if he retires, the Flyers should bring him onboard as a strength and conditioning coach. For all the talk about Gary Roberts and his work out routine, it's funny that none of the 'experts' talk about Jagr in the same way. 

As important as Berube's mandate was of everyone coming into camp in top shape, don't think forget about the influence Jagr had on Voracek. Even though Jaromir was only here for one year, he took Voracek under his wing and taught him a few things. I still wish Jagr was part of the club......

I didn't read all posts before posting the same thing...I think Jagr had a huge influence on the way Scorachek is currently playing.

I can't believe Jagr is STILL playing...baffling to think he was playing in Pittsburgh since the early 90s when I was up at IUP over 20 years ago, torturing all us Flyers' fans with Lemieux

Jake- 1 pt behind Crosby with same games played. That is not to say Jake is Crosby, just stating that he is not slowing down. Giroux is also a 1.24 ppg player at this point. Its kind of a shame that with the offensive potency, there is little to no defense. 

Also, this team reminds me a bit of the Lindros era teams: ie top heavy. The lindros era teams at least had d, just no goaltending. Now we have goaltending, no d. Go figure. 

Archived