Jake on pace.....

Vanflyer

..... for a 120 pt season. Reality, no. But 80 is within reach. It looks like both Carter and Voracek are peaking. Yet Jake is only 25, while Carter is almost 30.

It was a necessary trade and one that has panned out well for both teams (ie. Jack Johnson was a needed anchor in Columbus).

Good point. I thought he came via Richards trade. I would do that trade today and twice on sunday.

Today IS Sunday ;)

That Carter trade was awesome. I remember at the time trying to convince people that Voracek would be an elite player. People kept saying he was like Zherdev, without ever having seen him play. Nice to see him prove people wrong.

I remember at the time trying to convince people that Voracek would be an elite player.

Truthfully, I always thought he was a tier 2 player. Albeit, I did not have much factual basis to form that opinion. I am pleased to see him as an elite player. We bash homer, but that was a good one. Jake + Couturier for Carter. I will do that everday of the week and twice on sunday.

Funny, not much is being made of the Jake's NHL scoring lead.  He is tied for the lead with Cindy - though has played one extra game but has far fewer power play points.  Going back to the Philly.com days you will see some posts where I thought this part of the Carter trade would be better than the 1st round pick.  Actually when the Flyers lost the 1st overall pick to Chicago in his draft year I was hoping the Flyers would trade their 1st pick for somebody else's 1st round pick to pick up Jake or actually take him with the 2nd pick.  I had followed Jake's play with the Mooseheads, and although I never saw him play in person, he sounds like he had some really good potential.  It is very exciting to think we are seeing that potential come to fruition. 

Today IS Sunday ;)

That Carter trade was awesome. I remember at the time trying to convince people that Voracek would be an elite player. People kept saying he was like Zherdev, without ever having seen him play. Nice to see him prove people wrong.

I was always on the Voracek train. I remember the Zherdev comparisons and I just knew they were not close to being accurate. He has a much better compete level than that bum ever had.

I was sure this was the year that Jake was gonna put it all together. I even suggested he would score 40 goals this year....said it all summer long. A few chuckled, a few thought I was crazy, but hey....it *is* early, but he's on pace for 37...AND he should really have more than the 6 he has scored thus far, he's had a few posts, fans etc....should have 9 or so if a few breaks went his way.

Not 60?  :ph34r:

Just kidding buddy. You called it on Jake by the looks of it. You could see he was poised to break out.

he has owned the top of the circle this year... the way he is picking up the puck and driving the net from that spot has been remarkable.  He certainly has all the tools and my only beef w/ him was that I wanted him to be more selfish w/ the puck.   He seems to be putting it together...  hope it continues b/c he has been the best player on the Team so far this year.

Berube deserves a lot of credit here. He's the one that mandated players show up to camp on a targeted diet and in shape. Yesterday, Voracek credited his weight loss for his increased performance and stamina.

Berube deserves a lot of credit here. He's the one that mandated players show up to camp on a targeted diet and in shape. Yesterday, Voracek credited his weight loss for his increased performance and stamina

Good to know.

@doom88   Good point, Jones was commenting on the fact that Voracek is much more effective in the 3rd period these days. His cardio starts to take over when everyone is running out of gas. You can really tell the difference, he has taken over games in the 3rd this year. Berube certainly has his priorities in place. Why it takes a coach to get the very best out of multi-million dollar athletes is beyond me....where is the pride, work ethic...no one should have to tell you to get in tip top shape....this is *your* career, a short one at that. Only makes sense to keep yourself in outstanding shape. At least the coach knows what is important and Voracek listened, a nice outcome anyways.

@jammer2

@flyercanuck

Don't forget that these guys are kids. Jake is 25, and to me, that is still a kid figuring things out. 

I don't know what it's like for you guys where you work, but I've worked with plenty of 20-somethings, and the vast majority of those under 25 or 26 years old are very green.

@brelic

While I agree with you, NHL hockey isn't a career that lasts til you're 55-65. You've got a few years to make hay while the suns shining....you'd better make hay. I'm patient on guys development. i just want to see effort out of them and show up in shape.

@brelic

While I agree with you, NHL hockey isn't a career that lasts til you're 55-65. You've got a few years to make hay while the suns shining....you'd better make hay. I'm patient on guys development. i just want to see effort out of them and show up in shape.

Totally agree - but it doesn't change the fact that they are kids. It just means they have less time to figure it out. 

I'm really happy to see Jake turn a corner, so to speak, and commit to becoming a better player. It seems like he figured out that to take the next step, he had to become accountable to himself.

@jammer2

@flyercanuck

Don't forget that these guys are kids. Jake is 25, and to me, that is still a kid figuring things out. 

I don't know what it's like for you guys where you work, but I've worked with plenty of 20-somethings, and the vast majority of those under 25 or 26 years old are very green.

Getting the very most out of your body should be a given in these players. Perhaps Jake would be a few mill richer had he started his career in tip top shape?  You only have a few shots at contracts in the NHL, so it would make sense to give it all.....100% from the get go. Not only for monetary gain, but for self pride and the respect of your teammates.

I'm really happy to see Jake turn a corner, so to speak, and commit to becoming a better player. It seems like he figured out that to take the next step, he had to become accountable to himself.

Yep...in the end, this is what is important. Our young star has figured out the next piece of the stardom puzzle....this is gonna be fun to watch him grow and evolve into a star.

.it *is* early, but he's on pace for 37...AND he should really have more than the 6 he has scored thus far, he's had a few posts, fans etc....should have 9 or so if a few breaks went his way.

The thing is he does not really have a good shot, just the he works hard in all the dirty areas.

Archived