STH Meeting with Hexy and Homer Recap

Poulin20

Hartnell and VLC contracts were screw ups.

-Mac was getting that much or more in the open market.

-Pronger would be worth every cent if he was still able to play. In fact If he was still in the ice, even 3 years older and slower, we'd still consider him a bargain at 5 mill.

Pronger was a gamble. Homer lost. Homer lost on almost all his gambles.

They bought out Briere. They bought out Bryz. They traded too many draft picks away. Hartnell/VLC/MacDonald/Pronger contracts. Homer HAS to know he screwed up.

He let them walking chasing Suter and Parise. The Weber thing was a Hail Mary desperation heave to salvage something after losing out on all of them.

The pass was incomplete -But he did cripple the Preds cap situation in the process so there's that.

Thanks.... Weber was wrong year, but same misguided philosophy.

Though how different would this team look with Weber as its anchor?

The pass was incomplete -But he did cripple the Preds cap situation in the process so there's that

Not really:

http://capgeek.com/predators/

The Preds are probably closer to being a cap floor team than a cap ceiling team, if anything Weber's hit helps them stay above the cap floor. They look to have plenty of cap space going forward.

Cap situation was the wrong nomenclature.

I should have said fiduciary situation. The owner had to dig into his own bank account to pay Weber the salary they had to give him to match Homer's absurdity.

They're a cap floor team for a reason. Essentially in Nashville, there's a different cap.

Not really:

http://capgeek.com/predators/

The Preds are probably closer to being a cap floor team than a cap ceiling team, if anything Weber's hit helps them stay above the cap floor. They look to have plenty of cap space going forward.

I should have said fiduciary situation. The owner had to dig into his own bank account to pay Weber the salary they had to give him to match Homer's absurdity.

yeah, but even there it's not as bad as it might seem since so much of the total money they owe him was payed out in the first year or so. It really is not a bad deal for Nashville. The worst thing about it is probably the length of the contract (twelve more years!) but even there, I'm pretty sure there's no NMC or NTC attached.

no he was not getting that in the open market... he is way overpaid.

and even if he was going to get that (which he wouldn't have) why does it have to be the Flyers to pay that price?  And please dont say that he turned down a huge offer from the Isles.  

Even if Macdonald would have made the same somewhere else, that does not make the contract a good one. It just means there is someone else who is willing to give out a bad contract to an average to slightly above average player.

I thought the rule was they had to match the NMC homer offered?

yeah, but even there it's not as bad as it might seem since so much of the total money they owe him was payed out in the first year or so. It really is not a bad deal for Nashville. The worst thing about it is probably the length of the contract (twelve more years!) but even there, I'm pretty sure there's no NMC or NTC attached.

Or that might just be what those guys make nowadays?

Even if Macdonald would have made the same somewhere else, that does not make the contract a good one. It just means there is someone else who is willing to give out a bad contract to an average to slightly above average player.

I have no idea what your pointnisnornehat evidence you're basing it on.

The flyers needed a better ad man.

He made the team better (their record with him was significantly better than without him last year).

A certain unnamed team did offer him more which he did not take.

He's better than mediocre and Chief didn't use him well so far this year because he was trying to force pairings out of the hodgepodge of players homer and Hexy gave him.

We Gave Mezaros a similar deal didn't we? grossman makes less, but comparatively he makes a lot of money for how he plays and how he's used.

It may be partially homer's fault but D men who can play responsibly make a lot of money right now.

no he was not getting that in the open market... he is way overpaid.

and even if he was going to get that (which he wouldn't have) why does it have to be the Flyers to pay that price? And please dont say that he turned down a huge offer from the Isles.

I feel like it was being reported differently at the time.

Maybe that was erroneous chatter.

Either way, I think 8 million per until sometime into the 2020's is a NMC of its own don't you?

I don't think Homer offered a NMC, because I don't think he was able to. I think when you offer sheet a player you can only specify the dollars and contract length.

I have no idea what your pointnisnornehat evidence you're basing it on.

The flyers needed a better ad man.

He made the team better (their record with him was significantly better than without him last year).

A certain unnamed team did offer him more which he did not take.

He's better than mediocre and Chief didn't use him well so far this year because he was trying to force pairings out of the hodgepodge of players homer and Hexy gave him.

We Gave Mezaros a similar deal didn't we? grossman makes less, but comparatively he makes a lot of money for how he plays and how he's used.

It may be partially homer's fault but D men who can play responsibly make a lot of money right now.

The Isles offered him a large contract and he refused - he wanted out of the NY.   He is not a #1/#2/#3 defensemen.   He is a nice #3/#4 type player...  He is not a good defensemen and every stat you look at supports how bad he actually is.   He is overpaid... by a lot?  Not sure but he is not worth the cap space for the player he is on the ice.   This was a bad contract by Homer.

I will give you saktes and a stick I can gaurantee you could gain the blue line on McDud.   He is a disaster in the neutral zone...

You really think he is worth the same money as a Keith Yandle, Kronwall or Bouwmeester?

@Adamflyers and Poulin20

Thanks for the write up on the meeting, love the story about the Hextall autograph. It sounds like Hexie has a plan and it's just a question whether the fans and Snider will let him carry it out. Once again awesome job.

Thanks @Lindbergh31 !  We will have to fire up the scanner and see if there is a way we can get the photo on this message board.  We also have a photo of your namesake from the same autograph event which was taken about 40 days before his accident.

Hartnell and VLC contracts were screw ups.

-Pronger would be worth every cent if he was still able to play. In fact If he was still in the ice, even 3 years older and slower, we'd still consider him a bargain at 5 mill.

Pronger was a gamble. Homer lost. Homer lost on almost all his gambles.

Clarke would be an out right steal at $160,000 if he was able to play....neither one of them are.

That was the line of the night.  It was almost as if Homer was saying, yeah I am so glad we got rid of me! 

Or "Thank god they got Hextall, because I could never get the old man to stop telling Clarke to tell me what to do." 

Thanks for that write up, your Hexy story is a fun time story. Maybe Carchidi or Sarah can pick up that story...

I believe Homer was given the reigns of the Flyers way of doing things, and did great moves and used his strengths with picks and finaglein' certain trades, a capologist he was not. I also believe Flyer culture didn't give him outside the box way of thinking freedom as per building a team. In fact when was the last time Flyers truly started a rebuild process in the last 20 years? Hexy came in and he is a Flyer at heart and soul, but was a son that left town for a while and came back to his hometown learning a thing or two in his adventures abroad and is able to give a fresh perspective on things he's learned along the way.

No GM is perfect, but Homer balances weigh in at more of a positive effect than a negative affect.

We're just focusing on the negative right now. As Idaho says I'm on the positive side of things too and hope to fix things in a positive way for the team.

If I were to lose ammo in a war and get my arm cut off, instead of crying over the appenditure I would pick it up and b1tch slap the enemy with it, while occasionally folding the outer fingers to get a few flip offs in between.

Thanks for the write up. Very informative, as always.

In regards to an NMC/NTC,they cannot be included in an offer sheet. They can be added as part of the final contract.

Thanks @Lindbergh31 !  We will have to fire up the scanner and see if there is a way we can get the photo on this message board.  We also have a photo of your namesake from the same autograph event which was taken about 40 days before his accident.

Thanks Poulin20, that would be cool to see those photos

Archived