A positive thing and a negative thing

Flyingswede

I see a team working hard. I see a team that doesnt loose 5-1, doesnt give up. When we loose its tight. We have also start winning those really tight games. I think Chief is really good taking out the best of every player. The negative thing is that I think the team is at its best. This is what we get out of this team. To make it better trades must happen, not desperate januari trades but after the season Hextall have lots to do at the defensive side. Also a few changes at the offensive side. But once again, I like the work ethnic from alot of guys! we have a lot of low paid checking players becouse homers stupid contracts (Vinny one of them) but I like how those checking players.  

@Flyingswede  I think the work ethic is an issue, at least half this roster seems to be floating, or at least lacking a sense of urgency. The Blue Jackets had a lot more killer instinct than the Flyers. They need to pick it up, it's not the most talented roster in the league, but I do believe they have room to improve, through call ups or trades etc. The one thing they can control is effort, they need to ramp it up and also need to find modicum of consistency in that area.

Hard to watch a team give up three PP goals two nights in a row. This could be lack of discipline, talent, and effort combined. There are some good youngins and "other." We will be lucky to finish over .500. This season and next are transition. I won't get too depressed with this crew.

Howie

Hard to watch a team give up three PP goals two nights in a row.

Yeah so glad Coburn is back he has just become a shutdown Dman on the PK. Norris here he comes.  :ph34r: 

At least he's consistent on the ice for 3 scored last night....on the ice for 3 scored tonight!!!!

Maybe they can send Coburn in a trade with RJ or Vinny sort of a bribe type deal.

Yeah so glad Coburn is back he has just become a shutdown Dman on the PK. Norris here he comes. :ph34r:

At least he's consistent on the ice for 3 scored last night....on the ice for 3 scored tonight!!!!

Maybe they can send Coburn in a trade with RJ or Vinny sort of a bribe type deal.

Grossmann was responsible for one, and Read another. Hate Coburn all you want, but he's covering his man.

I just watched the Flyers absolutely storm the Canadiens for several minutes after Read's goal (and what an interesting type of goal that was) and then the Canadiens skate up and toss the puck on net and BLAU! it's in.

Dammit.

Grossmann was responsible for one, and Read another. Hate Coburn all you want, but he's covering his man.

Yeah haha he covered them the last 3 games....keep telling yourself that. 

He's not alone Nick has sucked too the last couple games............but you never hear anyone claim Nick is the team's "best Dman"...unlike Cockburn.

Yeah haha he covered them the last 3 games....keep telling yourself that.

He's not alone Nick has sucked too the last couple games............but you never hear anyone claim Nick is the team's "best Dman"...unlike Cockburn.

He's not perfect, but far from as bad as a few make him out to be. It's a team sport and the forwards don't do their part in the neutral or defensive zone. That stretches D and forces them to cover multiple shooters. But yeah, that's all Coburn's fault, **** that guy.

He's not perfect, but far from as bad as a few make him out to be. It's a team sport and the forwards don't do their part in the neutral or defensive zone. That stretches D and forces them to cover multiple shooters. But yeah, that's all Coburn's fault, **** that guy.

C'mon bro dude has been on the ice mostly looking lost FOR 9 GOALS AGAINST THE LAST 3 GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9!

And has not assisted on nothing nada just horrible trade him now if you can. The Oilers want him send him off to them for a pick.

C'mon bro dude has been on the ice mostly looking lost FOR 9 GOALS AGAINST THE LAST 3 GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And has not assisted on nothing nada just horrible trade him now if you can. The Oilers want him send him off to them for a pick.

So has the goalie. He's the worst. If you get a gently used jock strap for him, take the deal.

So has the goalie. He's the worst. If you get a gently used jock strap for him, take the deal.

But Coburn is just standing there he doesn't get the loose puck he doesn't clear the damn porch he doesn't even knock guys down just screens his own goalie.

I don't get it guys talk junk about Nick sucking and McDud sucking and then Schultz sucking or Luke sucking no problem but once someone calls Coburn out for sucking everyone comes to his defense and then throws out the 'he's the teams best Dman crap" but i call bullschitt!!!

It's more than a title you have to play like it to earn that title and he hasn't.

Hell at least Luke will clean a guys clock yeah he may get out of position to do it but he is trying yeah Nick just stands there but at least he'll block shots.

I never see Coburn really doing anything but stand at the top of the crease looking lost can't find the puck and won't knock the damn forward on his ass. I'm just tired of watching him play like that and then people turn around and defend him.

Trade that bum while you can.

Edit: After re watching the highlights wasn't really a whole lot he could have done on two of those but two he cetainly could have done more like one just clear the zone. Anyways last game he looked bad on all 3 for sure.

Yeah so glad Coburn is back he has just become a shutdown Dman on the PK. Norris here he comes.  :ph34r: 

There's a lot to process. In past years we couldn't get tje puck out of our zone on the attack. Now we can. But we are unglued in our back end. MDZ and Schu

tz are fine...the rest seem to be out of it.

The HNIC announcers also spoke to the unbalanced scoring. It's hard to disagree.

Who knows?

Howie

I think the work ethic is an issue, at least half this roster seems to be floating,

I agree with this as well. Seldom do I see a 60 minute effort from top to bottom out of this team and that is very troublesome. 

Hard to watch a team give up three PP goals two nights in a row.

who is the PK coach? Whomever it is better get their collective ass in gear. Philly is almost dead last in the NHL on PK. 

The bright side is the phillys PP is in the top 5 and their offense overall is in the top 5. The problem is that when you are giving up 1PP goal a game on average, you will not win many games- particularly when their 5-on-5 play is marginal at best. 

who is the PK coach? Whomever it is better get their collective ass in gear. Philly is almost dead last in the NHL on PK.

The bright side is the phillys PP is in the top 5 and their offense overall is in the top 5. The problem is that when you are giving up 1PP goal a game on average, you will not win many games- particularly when their 5-on-5 play is marginal at best.

How can their 5 on 5 be marginal at best if you just said their offense is top 5?

Their PK plan A is not to take penalties in the first place, and that did work for a while. The last week, not so much. Guys (read: forwards) aren't staying in their lanes or covering their man outside the crease. The (soft call) 5 on 3s certainly aren't helping.

How can their 5 on 5 be marginal at best if you just said their offense is top 5?

The flyers are 20th in the NHL in 5-on-5 play, that how. Last third in the league = marginal at best to me. While they score (and allot of that scoring comes on the PP), they give up nearly as much as what they score on 5-on-5 play. 

So, having a killer PP, with a turd PK, and marginal 5-on-5 play, you get a team that is 23rd overall in the league. 

:-)

20th 5 on 5 is a fair stat, but is that low end of average, or a two-flusher?

I think its a low end stat, but not that much. The difference between 20th and 10th is not that much, but consequential none-the-less. The flyers score 1 more goal per game 5-on-5 than they get scored against them. But in todays nhl, the game is generally won and lost on special teams. That is why the PK is so worrisome. Truthfully, given out d, I would have expected the 5-on-5 play goal differential to be less.

At the end of the day, across 5-on-5, PP, PK, the flyers score exactly the same as they allow. Thus, the result you see in a .500 hockey club. Tighten up the PK, and tilt the 5-on-5 play just a bit more, and this team can be a mid level team (ie. playoff bubble). 

I personally don't see it because I don't see the compete level for 60 minutes a night from this squad. 

I know folks don't want to hear it but the team is missing Luke out there on the PK. Him and Nick played much better on the PK than Nick and Coburn.

Coburn is just to soft on the top of the crease and don't know how to muscle guys from out in front....Luke does that well especially when he doesn't chase guys trying to hit them and loses focus.

One might be inclined to think I'm high to post this after a 2-game losing streak, but I dig this core. It's not perfect, the players we have need to work on some things, and they need a couple of stone-cold, legitimate, tested veterans, but this team has a nice foundation.

Voracek and Couturier for Carter is an absolute steal. A linemate for G (finally) and our shutdown center for the next decade or so? You can't beat that. His offense is only marginally better so far, but who cares? I can live with right around 40 points for a young kid that poised in his own end. It's amazing how good he is defensively at such a young age.

Simmonds has always been a contributor, but has just grown and grown as time has gone on here. If we weren't so thin (offensively), he'd be the third guy on that top line. He adds grit and can hang with them. He's not outclassed on that line at all. But until we get a little deeper in the offensive zone, he stays on another line (aside from the PP). And Schenn is looking better too. No, he's not going to score 70 points, but that's fine. He's showing improvement. The trade Schenn movement needs to chill the F out, because he's getting better.

@brelic - I am on board with you on Del Zotto. His overall game is much better than I thought it would be. I wasn't worried about his offense at all, but I didn't know what to expect of him in the defensive zone. It's early, but he now becomes a part of that young core I do not want moved.

If I'm calling the shots here, G, Voracek, Simmonds, Couturier, Schenn, Raffl, Del Zotto, and Read (not giving up on a guy after being down for 16 games into one season), are going nowhere. With Laughton, Ghost, Morin, and a few of the others in the wings, I'm excited. I know they won't all make the team, but if even 2 of them do, that's 10 guys that are either from the system or have simply been here long enough to be "ours" now. You add a few tried and true vets to that mix and you got a contender imo.

@Flyingswede  I think the work ethic is an issue, at least half this roster seems to be floating, or at least lacking a sense of urgency. The Blue Jackets had a lot more killer instinct than the Flyers. They need to pick it up, it's not the most talented roster in the league, but I do believe they have room to improve, through call ups or trades etc. The one thing they can control is effort, they need to ramp it up and also need to find modicum of consistency in that area.

Nah I Think its lack of talent and players who are insecure. Obviously its hard to say if a player is lacking confidence or is just lazy but I Think its more about lacking confidence. Well, im not saying the team is good I just Think the team is playing better then what I have expected. Cheif is doing a pretty good job and I Think he should be the man in the future.

Archived