Hindsight should Flyers have taken Dougie Hamilton instead of Couturier

Mario99

Coots is a fine draft choice and player for us. Fans are making a big deal that he isn't scoring because the team is struggling to get goals except for the first line. A few years ago, he shut Malkin down for the playoffs and everyone was excited and said Homer made the right choice. Now everyone or I should say most expect him to turn on the switch to be a scoring machine. Give him a few more years to play with better line mates and see, if he doesn't then he can still be our shutdown 3rd line. What is wrong with that? The fans and management have no patience, that is why we keep trading our young players away every few years. I am sick and tired of seeing ex-Flyers winning the Cup.

As for our defense, Homer has made a few bone headed moves in that regard. We drafted Sibisa then traded him away. In the same draft he traded the first rd pick for a bum name Eminger and Wash drafted Carlson with that pick. Had he kept the pick and drafted Carlson, would we have traded JVR for Schenn? It can never be answered but the domino effect is what got us to this point. Here's hoping Hextall don't make those miistakes to set us back again.

@Vincent05  Agree with most of that, especially the Cooter remarks. It's been what, 6 years now and Sbisa has failed to establish himself as a legit top 4 d-man. The Ducks are pretty smart and would not let go of a good young d-man. He skates well and likes to hit, but his defensive positioning...he has never really got that part of the game, and he has no offense to speak of.

Totally agree on Eminger and Carlson...how could I not?  I'm glad JVR is gone...that kid has no heart, not the kind of guy you want to go to war with in the playoffs. The return was brutal, but I don't miss JVR one little bit.

@caluso

It's a waste to take a potential Selke winner at #8?

Look if you want to say Hamilton might have been a better use of the 8th overall most of us agree. But to say a potential Selke is a waste is pretty foolish.

Heres a list of 8th overall players taken previous to Couturier...Burmistrov another Selke type...playing in the KHL, Scott Glennie, not a bad player, certainly not in line for any major hardware, Mikkel Boedker decent player with 3 years of development on Couturier, Seans numbers trajectory are almost identical while playing sound defence, Zach Hamill played on 4 AHL teams, 1 KHL and is now in Sweden picked between Voracek and Couture - think the Bruins want a do-over on that one? Peter Mueller 26 and playing in the Swiss league, Devon Setoguchi on his 5th NHL team has zero points this year, Alexander Picard bust Braydon Coburn you know, Pierre Marc Bouchard decent NHL career already over Pascal leclaire meh goalie, Nikita Alexsev bust, Yaylor Pyatt, Mark Bell Sergei Samsonov still trying to find a better player than a Selke candidate another bust, then another, then another....ahhh 1990 Derian Hatcher well that was easy.

@caluso It's a waste to take a potential Selke winner at #8? Look if you want to say Hamilton might have been a better use of the 8th overall most of us agree. But to say a potential Selke is a waste is pretty foolish. Heres a list of 8th overall players taken previous to Couturier...Burmistrov another Selke type...playing in the KHL, Scott Glennie, not a bad player, certainly not in line for any major hardware, Mikkel Boedker decent player with 3 years of development on Couturier, Seans numbers trajectory are almost identical while playing sound defence, Zach Hamill played on 4 AHL teams, 1 KHL and is now in Sweden picked between Voracek and Couture - think the Bruins want a do-over on that one? Peter Mueller 26 and playing in the Swiss league, Devon Setoguchi on his 5th NHL team has zero points this year, Alexander Picard bust Braydon Coburn you know, Pierre Marc Bouchard decent NHL career already over Pascal leclaire meh goalie, Nikita Alexsev bust, Yaylor Pyatt, Mark Bell Sergei Samsonov still trying to find a better player than a Selke candidate another bust, then another, then another....ahhh 1990 Derian Hatcher well that was easy.

Wow, there's a lot of meh picks at #8, huh? 

Do you know what Bergeron did at 21? He put up 22 goals and 70 points. The year before, when he was 20, he scored 31 goals and put up 73 points (and -28).

That was his offensive peak, interestingly enough. I don't know much about his early career, but I'm guessing he developed the defensive part of his game later... is that the case?

bu..buuu.buuuuut guys Couturier is such a great defensive forward with tons of upside and he's still a kid blah blah blah...One thing the lad isn't is a fighter. Man he looked like a Pomeranian vs a Labordoodle in that fight.

In all seriousness he should not be traded, but they need to use him differently. We can all basically admit that the season is slipping away and maybe they should use Couturier in a different way. Give him more minutes and let him play an open game. See if he can get on the stat sheet. 

bu..buuu.buuuuut guys Couturier is such a great defensive forward with tons of upside and he's still a kid blah blah blah...One thing the lad isn't is a fighter. Man he looked like a Pomeranian vs a Labordoodle in that fight.

In all seriousness he should not be traded, but they need to use him differently. We can all basically admit that the season is slipping away and maybe they should use Couturier in a different way. Give him more minutes and let him play an open game. See if he can get on the stat sheet. 

That's exactly what Hextall said should happen, and that's exactly what Berube said he would do.

Except they haven't done it.

and the million dollar question is why?????

They moved Coots up to the 2nd line for a few games and now he is back down on the 3rd........with all the line reshuffling now wonder everyone is confused......

We should be happy we have him.  Anything not going on with Coots right now has little to do with Coots.  He's on a line with the two biggest bumps on a log lolly gaggers on the team. 

Get him a real coach and some line mates and we'll see him produce a ton more.  As it is he pretty much has to do EVERYTHING for his line when he's out there.  Add to that the fact that maybe 1/3 of his ice time is spent killing stupid lazy penalties, and you'll be a lot less worried about Coots.

This team isn't serving Coots very well. It's not the other way around. 

I wanted Hamilton in that draft. But when Couturier fell to us I totally got why Homer took him.

Which brings me back to my recurring question... what the hell is going on behind the scenes with this team?  This is crazy time?  These guys instill ZERO confidence in me.   Berube has got to go and I have utterly no idea what Hextall is thinking.

That's exactly what Hextall said should happen, and that's exactly what Berube said he would do.

Agreed, a lot of Flyers fans wanted Holmgren to draft Hamilton but he didn't so we have live with that. I don't think Holmgren believed in drafting defensemen with high picks, he seemed to be stuck on drafting forwards. Hopefully Hexie will be different. The Flyers surely could use Dougie Hamilton right now with the state of the Flyers defense is in.

Morin 11th overall 2013

Hagg 41st overall 2013

Ghost 78th overall 2012

Sbisa 19th overall 2008

Bourdon 67th overall 2008

Marshall 41st overall 2007

You could argue Sanheim was his pick as well. 17th overall 2014.

Morin 11th overall 2013

Hagg 41st overall 2013

Ghost 78th overall 2012

Sbisa 19th overall 2008

In 2006 we took Ratchuk. He never played an NHL game.

Of the 12 defensemen taken in the 2nd round in 2006, 3 have made it to the NHL (Petry, Mike Weber, McBain)

In 2007, 10 defensemen were picked, and 2 made it to the NHL (PK Subban, TJ Brennan).

In 2008, 13 defensemen were picked, and 6 of them made it to the NHL. We didn't have a 2nd rounder that year.

It really is a crapshoot. 

Morin 11th overall 2013

Hagg 41st overall 2013

Ghost 78th overall 2012

Sbisa 19th overall 2008

Is that all-inclusive since 2007 for drafted defensemen? No wonder we're so screwed. That's not nearly enough and there is a gaping hole of about 4 years.

Good God

Is that all-inclusive since 2007 for drafted defensemen? No wonder we're so screwed. That's not nearly enough and there is a gaping hole of about 4 years.

Good God

Oh, sorry @doom88. For some reason, I had "list of 2nd round defensemen we took" so I went up and looked other 2nd rounders. Doh! 

Carry on :)

That list of our picks since 2007 is pretty thin, huh?

Good God

Just top three rounds. Impressive considering the Pronger trade and the second round Homercoaster.

Archived