Lindback on waivers - what happened to him?

brelic

As soon as I saw that Anders Lindback was on waivers, my first thought was "hmm, wonder if the Flyers would take a gamble on him... nothing to lose, right?"

Wasn't he regarded as a pretty good goalie at one point?

I looked up his numbers. Wow, what a remarkable decline to the point of being waived.

His save %, from 5 years ago to now:

Eww. Granted, the .861 is with only 5 gp this year. 

Anyone know what happened to him? Was he just overrated? A systems goalie? Is there something worth salvaging in grabbing Lindback?

Anyone know what happened to him? Was he just overrated? A systems goalie?

I'd venture to guess it's a mental thing.  Kind of a shame.  Maybe latching on somewhere else might help.  A "rest of the season" or 1 year contract might not be a horrible risk as a backup.  Not in Philly, though.  Maybe an NHL team.

Why not? He would help our cause greatly.

Our McDavid cause?  Yes, I agree.

Actually, I was speaking in context of HIS career.  If it is mental and needs to be fixed, I'm not sure playing behind this porous defense or for our dumb ass coach is the way to go for him.

On the other hand, he'll see a ton of rubber so maybe the practice would be good.

Lindback had the luxury of playing behind that superb defense in Nashville. Once he got traded to Tampa Bay, he got exposed there as the defense was nowhere near what the Nashville defense was (although today, you could make a case that the Tampa Bay defense is right up there with the Nashville defense). A year in the AHL to redefine his game might do him a world of good.

Lindback started as Rinne's understudy, about the same size with a team that placed defense ahead of anything else in Nashville. Suter and Weber make any goalie look better.

Then he was dealt to the Lightning who were a team in transition, he bombed, they traded Conacher for Ben Bishop and the rest is history.

Can he bounce back? Personally, I think he was a system goalie in Nashville. Frankly, I don't see him sticking around much of anywhere, Europe bound within a year or so.

Lindback seems to have gone from a promising up n comer to a project goalie now.

In Nashville, I too believe he was "protected" from the relatively safe wall that is the usual Nashville defense.

In Tampa Bay and Dallas, the defense is less airtight, more fluid, and does leave the goalie to fend for himself more than the one the Preds usually employ.

Whether any of this has anything to do with anything regarding Lindback is up for debate, but there were and still are, stark differences in the way Nashville, TB, and Dallas play defense.

My early speculation is that I think Lindback may very well be a 'system goalie', although with relatively few games played on each team, is it accurate to make that assessment?

I think that a full season at the AHL level working with the right coach can perhaps help him.....heck, maybe even a stint over in Europe in either the KHL or one of the Swedish/Czech/Finnish leagues.

I think it's a mechanics and confidence issue with Lindback, as I have seen him play extremely well at times for the Lightning....only to falter at the worst possible time.

I suppose some team with a solid enough defense can put him on their roster and try "hiding" him behind their defensive system, and in the short term, that might be beneficial to both Lindback and the team who has him, however, over the long term, that would do nothing for Lindback's development.

Let's not forget, he is still 26 years old....surely no longer a 'spring chicken' as far as young players goes, but as a goaltender, far from "done" as a possible solid professional goaltender.

Even more-so than defensemen, goalies can at times be notorious late bloomers.

Thing is, at some point, Lindback has got to WANT to be in the NHL bad enough that he will do whatever is necessary to improve his game, sharpen his mechanics, and become mentally strong.

All the "hiding" in the world any team can do for him will mean nothing if he can't actually stop the puck when it really matters.

That all said, perhaps Lindback is destined to be an NHL journeyman at best.

Nothing really wrong with that per se...I am sure there are many career minor league goalies or career European goalies who would LOVE to be a journeyman NHL goalie / back up goalie.

But until all possibilities are exhausted for himself, I am thinking Anders can't allow himself to think that that is the best he can be.

Personally, I am rooting for the guy. Seems to have all the physical tools (size, nimbleness) but is just lacking that all important ingredient or two that is currently separating him from even a standard regular NHL goaltender.

I can't find a reference right now but I read a blog last spring / summer which identified the main issue with Lindback as his lack of quickness.  He is a large body and takes up a lot of space, but he wasn't efficient enough at getting back into position up / down and left - right.  I think as teams have figured him out his stats have steadily declined.  

I can't find a reference right now but I read a blog last spring / summer which identified the main issue with Lindback as his lack of quickness.  He is a large body and takes up a lot of space, but he wasn't efficient enough at getting back into position up / down and left - right.  I think as teams have figured him out his stats have steadily declined.  

I am not disputing the whole quickness thing, however, from what I've seen, he is plenty quick enough....but his anticipation of plays and positioning often left alot to be desired.

And in most pro sports, hockey especially, poor positioning and anticipation can make one appear slower than what you are because you are often caught unprepared for a given play.

I've seen Anders flash the leather, make outstanding last minute kick saves and swim around the goal crease keeping pucks out....WHEN he is positioned correctly and is able to read plays.....and unfortunately for him, his positioning and reads have not been consistent to this point.

My theory anyways.

Of course, I am no goalie expert...just going by what I have seen as a fan from him.

Howdy:

This is an interesting thread. I have to believe we are at the end of the Emery road this season.  I guess the question is whether we go with an inside candidate or do the usual thing and effectively give up on our AHLers.  I can see the Inquirer articles now on how Reese is nursing another goalie back to health......

Best,

Howie

Archived