Maroon and Vatanan goals

Jam1986

Just saw the highlights! Wow we SUCK just saw Vatanan goal having his way and Flyers trying to poke the puck away and reaching LOL! Maroon big dude but push him out of the way please you can touch him it's called checking same for above. Man no heart or they can't do it for sixty! VERY SAD!!!!!!!!!!

That was the problem all night. Luke Schenn is just miserable. But NO ONE is clearing the porch. The only one's attempting to clear the porch are Coby and GrossmanN, but Coby likes to push guys into our goalie and GrossmanN is a gentle giant in front of the net. 

This team fails in so many ways, but I gotta say.. the last 2 games were at least entertaining ones. Which is more than I can say for the previous 8. 

That was the problem all night. Luke Schenn is just miserable. But NO ONE is clearing the porch. The only one's attempting to clear the porch are Coby and GrossmanN, but Coby likes to push guys into our goalie and GrossmanN is a gentle giant in front of the net. 

This team fails in so many ways, but I gotta say.. the last 2 games were at least entertaining ones. Which is more than I can say for the previous 8.

Only one Coburn likes to check is Mason....sad...only guy he likes to screen is Mason I'm sure he can't wait till he is traded.

Only one Coburn likes to check is Mason....sad...only guy he likes to screen is Mason I'm sure he can't wait till he is traded.

there is some serious favoritism going on with Berube - how the hell Coburn and Umberger have not been scratched is mind boggling.

there is some serious favoritism going on with Berube - how the hell Coburn and Umberger have not been scratched is mind boggling.

Yes and that is what is pissing the other guys off is he isn't holding everyone accoutable and they see it and he is eventually going to lose the team with the favortism...Steveie Wonder can even see it.

Yes and that is what is pissing the other guys off is he isn't holding everyone accoutable and they see it and he is eventually going to lose the team with the favortism...Steveie Wonder can even see it.

THIS!

This is my major gripe w/ Berube's handling of this Team.  

Maybe Hextall has had more interest for Coburn so he's asked Berube to keep him in there? (I know, his play isn't doing us any favours) I have zero idea why Umberger hasn't been sat, other than the draft. But then why sit VLC?

Maybe Hextall has had more interest for Coburn so he's asked Berube to keep him in there? (I know, his play isn't doing us any favours) I have zero idea why Umberger hasn't been sat, other than the draft. But then why sit VLC?

seems reasonable fc...

but you bring up a great point about VLC... *if* there is a plan to really just try and get a good pick I would play VLC and Umberger 20 minutes a night ;)   Coburn has been brutal lately BUT I think there may some be truth to what you are saying... maybe someone see value in Coburn and they are just auditioning him for a trade.   If I was a GM I would be lowering my asking proce based on his play honestly... but then again Hextall refused to keep salary when trying to trade VLC over the summer.

Those two goals point out two parts to the same basic problem the Flyers D is having right now.  The basic question our guys don't seem to have in their head is, "Who am I defending against?"  If you are not between a Duck and your goalie, the answer is NO ONE.  

Schenn was just way way way out of position n the Vatanan goal.  What was he doing where he was?  This is a big big problem for the Flyers and a reason a TON of the goals against them are scored.  Everyone leaves the one guy behind the net to wrestle with however many opposing players want to battle for the puck assuming whatever Flyer is back there can win the fight and outlet a clean pass to them.  They sit and they wait in front of their own net, not minding however many forwards get between them and their goal.  This happens ALL the time and I'm sorry, we can blame Schenn as much as we want, but when it happens this much, this frequently, it's coaching. 

On the maroon goal, there  were two Ducks between mason and any defenders.  I know it was a power play, but part of the whole point of playing the "square" on the PP is to be able to maintain some protective presence in front of your own net.  WHAT ARE THOSE TWO GUYS at that bottom of the square doing if there are TWO forwards behind them?  Who are you defending against when there are two guys behind you?

I know there were some problems earlier in the year with Mason getting screened, but you consistently find both the puck and a duck between you and your goalie, you are simply out of position.    And yes.  It does make you look slow, but the fact of the matter is, in these instances, our defenders aren't even trying to keep up.  They're playing somewhere else doing god knows what, for god knows what reason. 

People say they're slow, and they may be, but that's not the problem.  They're not chasing anyone.  They look slow becasue by the time their man gets the puck, he's 10 feet behind our Defense because our defense simply isn't paying attention to the right things.  It's not speed.  Chris Therien was one of the the slowest damn D man in the league, but he gave the best offensive player of the era fits. Vlad Constantinov was a million years old and slower than molasses in a russian winter, but he shut the biggest baddest Center in the NHL down like he was a mighty myte. 

Our D men are JUST not playing the position.

It's coaching.  Plain and simple.  We have a team of Stay At Home Defensemen, but the only problem is their "home" is somewhere near the hash marks regardless of where the puck is.  They play between the faceoff dots in their end and the blue line at the other end and don't go past either.  IT'S A PROBLEM and it's a coaching problem.

Just saw the highlights! Wow we SUCK just saw Vatanan goal having his way and Flyers trying to poke the puck away and reaching LOL! Maroon big dude but push him out of the way please you can touch him it's called checking same for above. Man no heart or they can't do it for sixty! VERY SAD!!!!!!!!!!

Those two goals point out two parts to the same basic problem the Flyers D is having right now.  The basic question our guys don't seem to have in their head is, "Who am I defending against?"  If you are not between a Duck and your goalie, the answer is NO ONE.  

Schenn was just way way way out of position n the Vatanan goal.  What was he doing where he was?  This is a big big problem for the Flyers and a reason a TON of the goals against them are scored.  Everyone leaves the one guy behind the net to wrestle with however many opposing players want to battle for the puck assuming whatever Flyer is back there can win the fight and outlet a clean pass to them.  They sit and they wait in front of their own net, not minding however many forwards get between them and their goal.  This happens ALL the time and I'm sorry, we can blame Schenn as much as we want, but when it happens this much, this frequently, it's coaching. 

On the maroon goal, there  were two Ducks between mason and any defenders.  I know it was a power play, but part of the whole point of playing the "square" on the PP is to be able to maintain some protective presence in front of your own net.  WHAT ARE THOSE TWO GUYS at that bottom of the square doing if there are TWO forwards behind them?  Who are you defending against when there are two guys behind you?

I know there were some problems earlier in the year with Mason getting screened, but you consistently find both the puck and a duck between you and your goalie, you are simply out of position.    And yes.  It does make you look slow, but the fact of the matter is, in these instances, our defenders aren't even trying to keep up.  They're playing somewhere else doing god knows what, for god knows what reason. 

People say they're slow, and they may be, but that's not the problem.  They're not chasing anyone.  They look slow becasue by the time their man gets the puck, he's 10 feet behind our Defense because our defense simply isn't paying attention to the right things.  It's not speed.  Chris Therien was one of the the slowest damn D man in the league, but he gave the best offensive player of the era fits. Vlad Constantinov was a million years old and slower than molasses in a russian winter, but he shut the biggest baddest Center in the NHL down like he was a mighty myte. 

Our D men are JUST not playing the position.

It's coaching.  Plain and simple.  We have a team of Stay At Home Defensemen, but the only problem is their "home" is somewhere near the hash marks regardless of where the puck is.  They play between the faceoff dots in their end and the blue line at the other end and don't go past either.  IT'S A PROBLEM and it's a coaching problem.

Our D men are JUST not playing the position. Indeed they have their backs to the play and are looking at our net most times.

seems reasonable fc...

but you bring up a great point about VLC... *if* there is a plan to really just try and get a good pick I would play VLC and Umberger 20 minutes a night ;)   Coburn has been brutal lately BUT I think there may some be truth to what you are saying... maybe someone see value in Coburn and they are just auditioning him for a trade.   If I was a GM I would be lowering my asking proce based on his play honestly... but then again Hextall refused to keep salary when trying to trade VLC over the summer

The problem is,the more you "showcase " those slugs the harder it gets to trade them.

GMs (not named Holmgren) aren't going to judge a player on part of a season. They'll watch tape of him over the years if they're really interested. Holmgren could judge a player he was interested in on one game against the Flyers, or 19 games at the end of a season. Those both worked out really, really, really well.

I hope he's learning better practices than Chief is feeding these "pros". I can't believe how far away from the play Luke was on that goal last night.

For the next 10-12 years or so....Morin will be the answer to clearing the porch. A little patience and he will solve this problem..in spades!

For the next 10-12 years or so....Morin will be the answer to clearing the porch. A little patience and he will solve this problem..in spades!

That's the problem our D guys are at least 2 yrs away

That's the problem our D guys are at least 2 yrs away

Yep, nothing we can do there except be patient...help is on the way, it may take a while. Hey, we waited 2 decades, what's a few more years?

Hard to build/maintain Coburn's trade value with him up in the pres box.

That trade with Edmonton needs to happen soon. He needs to go.

Hard to build/maintain Coburn's trade value with him up in the pres box.

Hard to do that with him playing...

...he's been on the ice for 10 powerplay goals against over last 12 games.

Maybe they should put him in the press box so they think he can still play....once they watch him they'll know that isn't true.  :ph34r:

Archived