Lecavalier Squelches Retirement Rumors

radoran

Lecavalier intends to collect on the $10.5M he's due ($13.5M cap hit) over the next three seasons.

Insists it's not about the money.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20141208_Flyers__Lecavalier_trying_to_stay_positive.html

"It's been a really tough week," Lecavalier told the Daily News yesterday before boarding the Flyers' plane to Columbus. "I've tried to stay positive. I want to get better. I want to feel better about this. I think the only way you can do that is to get back and play games."

Where do the Flyers and Lecavalier go from here?

The situation is untenable, at best. The catch is that Lecavalier has another three seasons remaining after this one at $4.5 million per year.

Not long after he was scratched, a report from TSN's Darren Dreger last week said "some think Lecavalier wants to retire after next season to focus on family" and he would be willing to leave $6 million on the table.

Yesterday, Lecavalier denied that claim and said he intends to honor his deal.

"No," Lecavalier said bluntly. "I'm 34, I'm not 40. I feel good on the ice. I feel like I did 5 years ago. All of the sudden, I'm a healthy scratch. It's frustrating. I know I have a lot in the tank. I know what I can provide on the ice, and I know what I bring off the ice with my teammates."

General manager Ron Hextall gave Lecavalier's agent, Kent Hughes, permission to negotiate a trade this summer for the former league scoring champion. The Flyers would like to move him and it's clear Lecavalier, who holds a full no-movement clause, would accept an opportunity to play elsewhere.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read that also. God the Flyers are actually boring. There going to be just barely good enough to not be in the McDavid sweeps and there is no talk about them tanking really. Probably won't make the playoffs. Vors is starting to cool off which was bound to happen (so has Crosby though). We are trapped in cap/contract hell with few routes to a good outcome. Other than Laughton, none of the kids are up to watch. They are just mired in the lower half of mediocrity. 

So that leaves us with VLC talk. He's not practicing? God I hope it's because he's injured (yeah, I know that sounds bad) or because a trade is on the table. If neither of those two are true then he's throwing a hissy fit which isn't gonna help the trade value, which is low anyway, especially with him saying he won't retire. And that's are big story. 

I'm calling this the team and season of wayward players... Blink and you won't miss anything...

"I feel like I did 5 years ago."

Five years ago (09-10) on December 9 he had 19 assists and six goals and was -1 on his way to a 70 point season (-16) in the last one in which he actually played all 82 games.

I'm not sure how 2g4a, -4 in 16 games "feels the same" to him, but whatever.

i hope hextall stops throwing money at forwards and defensemen, i would rather spend the money on goaltending, not bryz like contract but a descent contract to a goalie that has a good experience starter. im not sold on mason, he's an up and down player, that's just me, i would still fix the goaltending.

Lecavalier intends to collect on the $10.5M he's due ($13.5M cap hit) over the next three seasons.

Insists it's not about the money.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20141208_Flyers__Lecavalier_trying_to_stay_positive.html

Do the Flyers really think they can "shame" VLC into retirement?  That's a dangerous game to play. 

@B21

I don't think they're trying to shame him into retirement...maybe just into accepting a trade to wherever if one came up?

Not much difference...and it's lose/lose.  Keep making him a healthy scratch and he may not accept a trade (on the chance a partner is found) just to spite the Flyers.

And as I said before, good luck finding someone willing to trade for a player who has been a healthy scratch on the team with the 5th lowest point total in the East NHL.

I'm beginning to think that may be the only play here.......

Honestly I think it is the only way... I don't think there will be many teams that will take him on... Even at the deadline.

If the reports are true and he is not practicing the opposite view should be true - that is on VLC not the Flyers. If he is choosing not to practice with the team it is all on him at this point. He is under contract no matter if he is serving popcorn or playing the first line.

Drop him off in Kensington with a bag of heroin taped to his back... He won't be back.

yeah that place is a war zone....tape a note to his back "I hate Michael Brown"...i'm sure that will stir up the natives :ph34r:

Not much difference...and it's lose/lose.  Keep making him a healthy scratch and he may not accept a trade (on the chance a partner is found) just to spite the Flyers.

And as I said before, good luck finding someone willing to trade for a player who has been a healthy scratch on the team with the 5th lowest point total in the East NHL.

Then he can sit for 4 years.  :huh:

And as I said before, if Gomez and his $7 mil contract can not only get traded, but traded for McDonagh, then anyone can get traded. It won't be easy, but its possible. But only if he waives the NMC.

Then he can sit for 4 years. :huh:

And as I said before, if Gomez and his $7 mil contract can not only get traded, but traded for McDonagh, then anyone can get traded. It won't be easy, but its possible. But only if he waives the NMC.

Fingers are crossed FC...

@B21

"The Walt Whitman would be more daring.  ;)"

The Commodore Barry is the highest vertical clearance (192 ft) and definitely spans one really bad neighborhood (Chester City). 

I say he should jump off of that one for several reasons:

A) he'd probably have a very bad PCP addiction if her were found in Chester City

B) He nor his contract would survive that jump

C) It wouldn't jam up my morning commute if he decided to shut that bridge down

@B21

"The Walt Whitman would be more daring.  ;)"

The Commodore Barry is the highest vertical clearance (192 ft) and definitely spans one really bad neighborhood (Chester City). 

A) he'd probably have a very bad PCP addiction if her were found in Chester City

LOL...that is too funny but true!!! 

@B21

"The Walt Whitman would be more daring. ;)"

Jesus Christ bert... That is classic!

Archived