When I saw Laughton

fanaticV3.0

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I don't think we can underestimate the effect that his brief stint on the Phantoms did for him. He was put into a position playing against "men" and showed himself he could do it without the pressure of being in the NHL in a 3/4 line role.

He said himself his "confidence" is his biggest asset now. I don't know that he gets that "confidence" if he was thrown into the bottom six of this team to start the year.

Great to see him play his way into a position instead of being handed it.

I'm shocked that it did, but it definitely did. I wouldn't even be that surprised if it was a half of a season. I would never expect 13 games to do much at all.

I agree having to earn it helped. Hopefully he rubs off on some of them.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm shocked that it did, but it definitely did. I wouldn't even be that surprised if it was a half of a season. I would never expect 13 games to do much at all.

I agree having to earn it helped. Hopefully he rubs off on some of them.

I think that coming out of Junior there is a natural tendency for some players to question whether or not they can replicate their success against "men" instead of "boys."

Getting that chance to be "the man" on the Phantoms and showing himself that he can accomplish what he did in Junior for even a short time showed him that he should have the confidence that he can play at this level.

I simply don't think he's the same player (second line center) if he starts the season in the NHL swapping minutes with Vandevelde and Bellemare on the 4th line.

I think that coming out of Junior there is a natural tendency for some players to question whether or not they can replicate their success against "men" instead of "boys."

Getting that chance to be "the man" on the Phantoms and showing himself that he can accomplish what he did in Junior for even a short time showed him that he should have the confidence that he can play at this level.

I simply don't think he's the same player (second line center) if he starts the season in the NHL swapping minutes with Vandevelde and Bellemare on the 4th line.

I agree, I'm simply shocked that all it took was 13 games to get him to feel and play that way.

I agree, I'm simply shocked that all it took was 13 games to get him to feel and play that way.

I think it really depends on the player. Laughton was a guy who apparently had the talent and just needed the glimpse.

I think it's also being put into a good role - like a scoring center instead of a defense-first guy. He was able to show his offensive chops and had success - even for a short time - with it.

That could be where Couturier is finally getting - because he was slotted into a defense-first role and hasn't really had a chance to work on his offensive game at this level. Now he's getting PP time and given a little more of an offensive role.

I think it really depends on the player. Laughton was a guy who apparently had the talent and just needed the glimpse.

I think it's also being put into a good role - like a scoring center instead of a defense-first guy. He was able to show his offensive chops and had success - even for a short time - with it.

That could be where Couturier is finally getting - because he was slotted into a defense-first role and hasn't really had a chance to work on his offensive game at this level. Now he's getting PP time and given a little more of an offensive role.

I agree. It was definitely his own doing and because of his own skill and mental toughness. I simply find it shocking it happened in such a short amount of time. Suddenly Daniel Larusso becoming a black belt, and every other underdog who became an expert in their respective movie's field, in the middle 45 minutes of a movie doesn't seen so outlandish.

I agree. It was definitely his own doing and because of his own skill and mental toughness. I simply find it shocking it happened in such a short amount of time. Suddenly Daniel Larusso becoming a black belt, and every other underdog who became an expert in their respective movie's field, in the middle 45 minutes of a movie doesn't seen so outlandish.

It's gonna take a montage. Even Rocky had a montage.

@radoran

I agree. Couturier should have been left in junior for another year where he could develop further at both ends of the rink. Its no wonder his offensive game has stagnated...he's rarely ever able to use it for going on 4 years now.

Not at all what I said... :cool[1]:

My point was that Couturier was put into a "defensive" mindset when he got here and remained there until this season.

Now, his offensive game is starting to emerge. He has half as many PPP this season as he had in his previous career and has half of his career high in goals - both just 29 games into the season.

Different players, different paths.

Daniel son wasn't a black belt, they only took one because he needed it to enter the All Valley tournament.  :cool[1]:

I'm very impressed with Laughton so far at the NHL level. I was hoping he was only going to get a cup of coffee and then be sent back to Lehigh Valley where he could really work on his offensive game and be "the man" down there. However, he's been very impressive in Philadelphia and he's developing some real good chemistry with Simmonds and Schenn. Very confident that he's going to end up being a more physical version of Patrice Bergeron. One of the things that really stands out with Laughton (and it's the same with Bergeron) is that he's always thinking out on the ice. You can see that he really focuses on what's going on around him and he's just aware of things at all times. That kind of sense is going to be his bread and butter in the NHL. He might not ever put up Giroux-like numbers, but I can see Laughton being a 30 goal/60 point guy with elite two-way awareness. It's very possible that he and Couturier could end up challenging for the Selke award later in their careers. 

Stop right there. Daniel was 10X the black belt Johnny or any of his cronies were.

No way man! Waxing all those cars and painting the fence helped but he was NO blackbelt.  He just got lucky with that crane-kick.

He didn't even have a belt...Here's proof

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3DtsyLt1Ko

Watching Laughton is a pleasure. He just reeks of stardom. The kid can flat out dangle and has some nice wheels. He's starting to show the tip of the iceberg offensively. He should be an untouchable moving forward. I see some 80-90 pt seasons in a few years.

Watching Laughton is a pleasure. He just reeks of stardom. The kid can flat out dangle and has some nice wheels. He's starting to show the tip of the iceberg offensively. He should be an untouchable moving forward. I see some 80-90 pt seasons in a few years.

Ever over the top....last year ONE player hit 90 points. 

No way man! Waxing all those cars and painting the fence helped but he was NO blackbelt.  He just got lucky with that crane-kick.

He didn't even have a belt...Here's proof

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3DtsyLt1Ko

You misunderstand me. I know what Mr. Miyagi did, but when Miyagi says you are a black belt, you are a black belt.

Archived