Who is the most boring team in the NHL?

yave1964

Not wanting to start a war in here, but simple question who do you feel is the most boring team to watch in the NHL?

Teams not on my list include the Sabres who always seem to be in the news for the past several years. Edmonton? Not boring, kind of like watching a slow car accident a car sliding on ice towards a cliff most nights, you may half cover your eyes and wonder if it is really hockey, but its watchable.

My list of finalists for most boring who didn't quite make the cut:

Los Angeles Kings.   Dump and chase, 2-1 a high scoring game. Sleep through the regular season and turn it on come April. Very boring. At least until post season.

Ottawa Senators  A decade ago this was a perennial power who coulda woulda shoulda won a cup, 100 points was a slow year. Now? Just plain boring. Chris Neil doesn't hardly even fight anymore

Minnesota Wild I know there are some Wild fans in here and this may be unpopular, but the signing of Parise/Suter does nothing to change the fact that they havejust enough t be frustratingly mediocre.

Phoenix Coyotes  Shane Doan and his 50 points a year is the teams iconic player. Enough said.

But the absolute, most boring, sometimes near impossible to watch:

The Winnipeg Jets.

They are neither so bad as to be entertaining nor are they good enough to be interesting. They aren't going to sell at the deadline because they are going to be almost in it, they aren't going to buy at the deadline because they aren't quite in it. Their prospects Trouba is a nice d-man, nothing more and a nice complimentary center in Scheiffelle, both are okay, nice pieces, neither will lead the team above where they are. There best players are guys like Little, Ladd and big Buff. I would literally rather watch a Senators and Coyotes game than the Jets play anyone in the league.

But the absolute, most boring, sometimes near impossible to watch:

The Winnipeg Jets.

Then you haven't watched the Jets lately. Some of the best forecheck I've seen. Opposing teams talk about how big and fast they are

Their prospects Trouba is a nice d-man, nothing more and a nice complimentary center in Scheiffelle, both are okay, nice pieces, neither will lead the team above where they are. 

Reported. Trouba is one of the most exciting players to watch. Every shift he makes something happen. A future Norris winner. Scheifele (note the spelling) is more than  nice (which where I'm from is another way of calling someone lousy), he's actually emerged as a big, fast, playmaking center. 

You haven't watched them play much have you?

@Podein25

Half a dozen times this year.

I think Trouba is overrated as a prospect, a top pair puck mover in the immediate future, but I read all over how he is gonna be the next this or that. I frankly see him as a Keith Yandle type, more of a slightly poor man Yandle which is still not bad, but not a perennial Norris trophy guy either.

Spelling on SCHEIFELE noted. Apologies. I really like the kid, he is a beast in the dot, but i see him as a 50-55 point second or third liner. I would still love to have him but I think he is a tad on the overrated side.

Now obviously you see the Jets more than i do, having your Manitoba Moose so rudely run out of town to bring in the Thrashers. My problem with the Jets, and apologies for singling out two very good young players (I just don't see them as regular all stars, more as good solid players) it is more the Wheeler, Ladd, Little, Buff, Enstrom, Bogosian clan who consistently are inconsistent, a bunch of guys being forced to play out of their best role because they have nobody who is going to lead this bunch to the promised land. I have Little on y fantasy team, he always goes too low, but he is not a top line center, he is being forced to play a line to high. Same with most of the rest of these guys.

So i stick t what i said, a mix matched hodge podge of talent playing on the wrong lines out of necessity, and prospects who are good players but, and with apologies I am going to stick with tis, a tad overrated, make for some boring mediocre hockey. In the rugged West they will fade to 9th or 10th by the end of the year and then..... go out next year and likely do it all over again.  And for some reason, I am still not certain, why, but Pavelec is still the primary netminder there. Naked Pics of Cheveldayoff in a compromising position or something. I know, he isn't bad so far this year, but that is the problem, he isn't bad, nor good, just somewhere in between like the rest of these guys.

@yave1964

Appreciate the response. Lots to respond to here:

1. Trouba. Overrated?! You are wrong. Fair enough, we can agree to disagree. But to compare him to Yandle is to call him soft. He is anything but. A better comparison: a tougher Doughty. He will prove you wrong. I could probably not exaggerate the extent to which I disagree with you on your assessment of him.

2. Little. Inconsistent?! He's been the most consistent Jet. Not #1 center, but an underrated player. Ask Jets fans and they will tell you: quietly a great and complete player.

3.Scheifele. I was not a fan and thought the Jets should have taken Couturier. But he has proven me wrong. He's 21. He's got real first line center qualities: size, speed and a nasty shot. He also competes like mad.

4. Wheeler. Again, not necessarily a fan, but find another big right winger with his speed. He also competes like mad. And scores big goals.

5.The Moose were "run out of town"?! The project was always to bring the NHL back, that was the way to do it. See Mark Chipman's public comments. You got that dead wrong.

6. Here's where we agree. They lack a marquee player - I guess for you that means boring. But as a team, at least they are one. And play as one (under Maurice), and for this Flyer fan, that's pretty exciting. It's good hockey. The team lacks depth though and this will likely see them miss the playoffs as you say.

Cheers

@Podein25

the whole Moose thing was levity, sorry.

Let me tell you about a hockey player i always hated Mike freaking Keane. Absolutely dispised him with the Avalanche, the whiny mouthed crybaby punk was third on my list behind Lemieux and Roy. Hated, hated hated him.

Then his NHL career came to an end and i saw he was still gutting it out in Manitoba. My first thought was, how sad, an old guy who don't know when to quit, hanging on for one more payday.

Then he hung on another year. and another. And another.

I began to secretly root for Mike Keane, i checked the Moose box scores fairly regularly to see if he scored. Obviously he was way past playing hoping for a recall, he was playing for love of the game and I respected the Hell out of him for it.

I wrote him a letter, telling him that I appreciated the memories, i remember him absolutely drilling Konstantinov in a fight at a game that i was at the Joe watching, and how I missed the Wings/Avalanche rivalry. I even asked for his autograph.

He sent me one with a three page letter thanking me for remembering him, telling me how much he still cringed and hated the Wings but still marveled at the rivalry that made regular season games seem like playoffs and playoffs seem like life and death (his words).

Well I no longer hate Mike Keane. And I may be the only man in Central Ohio to have a Manitoba Moose jersey hanging in my closet.

I hope I am wrong about Trouba, I like the kid, I just don't see him developing into the Doughty/Keith class. Wheeler, yes he is big but he gets what, 5 or 6 power play goals a year.

But you are right, i love the Coach, Maurice is an underrated coach who is squeezing every bit out of this bunch but IMHO as long as guys like Thorburn and Peluso are in the lineup most nights and guys like Frolik and Perreault are asked to do more than they ever have before, and more than they are capable of, the team is not going to win.

Thanks for letting me tell you my Mike Keane story.

@Podein25

the whole Moose thing was levity, sorry.

Let me tell you about a hockey player i always hated Mike freaking Keane. Absolutely dispised him with the Avalanche, the whiny mouthed crybaby punk was third on my list behind Lemieux and Roy. Hated, hated hated him.

Then his NHL career came to an end and i saw he was still gutting it out in Manitoba. My first thought was, how sad, an old guy who don't know when to quit, hanging on for one more payday.

Then he hung on another year. and another. And another.

I began to secretly root for Mike Keane, i checked the Moose box scores fairly regularly to see if he scored. Obviously he was way past playing hoping for a recall, he was playing for love of the game and I respected the Hell out of him for it.

I wrote him a letter, telling him that I appreciated the memories, i remember him absolutely drilling Konstantinov in a fight at a game that i was at the Joe watching, and how I missed the Wings/Avalanche rivalry. I even asked for his autograph.

He sent me one with a three page letter thanking me for remembering him, telling me how much he still cringed and hated the Wings but still marveled at the rivalry that made regular season games seem like playoffs and playoffs seem like life and death (his words).

Well I no longer hate Mike Keane. And I may be the only man in Central Ohio to have a Manitoba Moose jersey hanging in my closet.

I hope I am wrong about Trouba, I like the kid, I just don't see him developing into the Doughty/Keith class. Wheeler, yes he is big but he gets what, 5 or 6 power play goals a year.

But you are right, i love the Coach, Maurice is an underrated coach who is squeezing every bit out of this bunch but IMHO as long as guys like Thorburn and Peluso are in the lineup most nights and guys like Frolik and Perreault are asked to do more than they ever have before, and more than they are capable of, the team is not going to win.

Thanks for letting me tell you my Mike Keane story.

That's a great story. I'm sure you are the only one there with that jersey!

I also hated Keane. Played against him for years when we were little. He was tough to play against.

Re the Jets, I agree on Maurice getting lots out of guys. Especially the D. Guys like Postma (who?) have been very good. I happen to think both Frolik and Perrault are capable of playing top 6 roles. They are both very smart. They are also versatile.

Agree on Thorburn. He's good in the room, but they need more speed there. And they need another upgrade at Forward (Burmistrov?). Haven't even mentioned the 6'5" Lowry who is paying like a 10 year vet. Or the untapped potential of Kane.

The Jets are big and fast - as a *team* - when they play the way Maurice wants them to they really push the pace with very active D. It's the way the game should be played. And it's anything but boring.

@Podein25

Burmistrov was supposedly ruined by Claude Noel, I was surprised he didn't come back this year. Enormous potential being wasted.

Okay, I deliberately haven't mentioned Kane, waited for you to, lol. This kid scored 30 goals at what, 20 years old and has consistently fallen back every year since. As a kid he knocked out Matt Cooke, established himself as the next great power forward and then.......What the Hell happened?

You read the rumors that he hates it in Winnipeg, with a lot of players i might see this as BS but truthfully I question his maturity level and a change of scenery might be the best thing for both. Of all the Jets, Kane should be the face of the franchise but his picture with the stack of money during the lockout hurt him with white conservative Winnipeg, His play has not really eroded, just kind of stagnated. So much more should be expected from this enormously talented kid.

All these posts in a boring hockey team thread and no Flyers?

Actually outside looking in Rux, they are an entertaining bunch. A combo of:

Top tier skilled players (Giroux, Simmonds and Voracek come to mind)

some good young kids (Raffl, Laughton and Ghost, when he is up on the roster)

Some really, really, bad defenseman who keep the other team in most every game (see pretty much the entire defense)

Two goalies who alternate between George Vezina and George Costanza, sometimes in the same night.

In all honesty two of the best defensive forwards in the game, (read and Couts) I love players who play the entire ice. I know Couturier makes mistakes but he is trying his butt off.

Vinnie's farewell tour. Only two years to go!!

So yeah, not so boring. Maybe a bit cringe worthy right now, but far from boring.

Actually outside looking in Rux, they are an entertaining bunch. A combo of:

Top tier skilled players (Giroux, Simmonds and Voracek come to mind)

some good young kids (Raffl, Laughton and Ghost, when he is up on the roster)

Some really, really, bad defenseman who keep the other team in most every game (see pretty much the entire defense)

Two goalies who alternate between George Vezina and George Costanza, sometimes in the same night.

In all honesty two of the best defensive forwards in the game, (read and Couts) I love players who play the entire ice. I know Couturier makes mistakes but he is trying his butt off.

Vinnie's farewell tour. Only two years to go!!

So yeah, not so boring. Maybe a bit cringe worthy right now, but far from boring.

I guess this is where we differ. You find certain individual Flyers not so boring (opposite with the Jets), whereas I see an overall team product that is not only boring but also awful.

I guess this is where we differ. You find certain individual Flyers not so boring (opposite with the Jets), whereas I see an overall team product that is not only boring but also awful.

That's where I'm at, Pods.  I think I do need to make sure to listen to the "outside looking in" viewpoint.  But for me, the Flyers' games hold no interest. 

But like you said:  an entire thread to that so we won't make this a Flyers thread.

I've seen only a handful of Jets games.  I'm no expert on Jets' hockey.  But just the few I've seen were refreshingly more exciting to me.  It's possible because my typical disgust with my own team was absent and I was just enjoying a game.

I'm okay with the Jets.   I do, however, think there are quite a few other teams more exciting/interesting than the Peg, but quite a few less so.

Taking the Flyers off of the table, I think "most" boring is really hard.  I think I'm going to go with the Coyotes.  A couple decent players individually, but Tippet's system can put you to sleep (kind of the point of it).  Not an interesting product to watch.

@Podein25@ruxpin

I don't wanna bite the hand that feeds me, as it were, this is a Flyer dominated forum, but in truth the Flyers defense may be the most boring unwatchable bunch in the game. The forwards are talented and for the most part fun to watch, even Rinaldo who I cannot stand that type of player, at least makes it fun when he is on the ice.

The defense tho, Ugh. Double ugh.

Grossman is a solid wall. MacDonald has not adjusted well. Coburn had a good offensive season once, a long time ago after being traded by the Thrashers to the Flyers and is still living off of it. Streit has a bit of offensive acumen . Del Zotto has shown why he is with his third team in a year, he has the hockey IQ of an egg plant. Colaiacovo did not even get a camp invite by anyone, signed off the street. Luke Schenn, unbelievably clueless. And you guys are throwing Nick Schultz out there almost every night. On purpose. Really?

So Streit and a bunch of boring slow unintelligent paycheck thieves. The most boring blue line in the game.

There, my first ever Flyer crack since I have been posting in here.

LMAO @ egg plant! Ha ha ha

No untrue word in that post

Well the Leafs have been anything but boring this season. They score lots of goals and they allow lots of goals. So either way you know it's going to be a high scoring game. When they lose, they really go down in flames. It's always a circus in Leafland.  :)

I would think the most boring team to watch would be a team that never scores much, never gets blown out, and has no real star players.

Well the Leafs have been anything but boring this season. They score lots of goals and they allow lots of goals. So either way you know it's going to be a high scoring game. When they lose, they really go down in flames. It's always a circus in Leafland. :)

I would think the most boring team to watch would be a team that never scores much, never gets blown out, and has no real star players.

Like the Blues?

Like the Blues?

for my personal druthers i like the Blues. The forwards play defense, the defensemen pinch in and move the puck, all in all, to me this is the way hockey is supposed to be played. And Taresenko is turning into a star right before our eyes. Personally I could watch a Blues game any night.

for my personal druthers i like the Blues. The forwards play defense, the defensemen pinch in and move the puck, all in all, to me this is the way hockey is supposed to be played. And Taresenko is turning into a star right before our eyes. Personally I could watch a Blues game any night.

I actually can't disagree objectively. They've always been a boring organization for me,though.

Sticking with the Coyotes for my answer to your question, though.

Archived