Flyers Honoring Forsberg

radoran

Flyers history.

For me it's like France constantly going on about "remember that time we actually won a war without help?"    Yeah, great past, but has pretty much sucked for 150 years.

Yeah, they were the first expansion team to win the Cup.  Yeah, two years in a row.  It was a great time.  But when that was done, it was NOW.

Same with "the Streak" and that Cup finals.  And the 80s teams that lost to the Oilers.  That was pretty cool.  But when that was going on, it was NOW.

Again, the same with the couple of Lindros years.  Even the 2004 team.

The nonsense that has been going on the past couple years make these constant "trot out an old guy and delude the fans into warm and fuzzy feelings while we bumble#### our way through existance" has such a disingenuous feel to it it is nauseating.

"Our product sucks so let's justify the ticket price by trotting out some horse."   Forget the fact the guy played for 100 games and played (occasionally) on one of the worst Flyers teams in recent memory. 

WHY are we trotting out Forsberg?   Why not Hatcher?  Or is he next week?  Seriously, Hatcher was great on another team, played his twilight on the Flyers, played at least 100 games, and provided some leadership on and off the ice.  WHY Forsberg?

Because it deludes the nostalgic and gets them to buy tickets and concessions.  Boston fans used to complain about very similar before their recent run of success.

For me, the constant parade of former players, the God-awful Kate Smith video, etc. etc. isn't about history.  It's about the warm fuzzy feeling about a happier time when the organization wasn't so incredibly clueless.  "Hey, remember?  We were once good!  Hooray!  Dwell on that for a bit and forget we signed VLC for five years for no particular reason other than that Pavel Bure wasn't available."

It's pathetic.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flyers history.

For me it's like France constantly going on about "remember that time we actually won a war without help?"    Yeah, great past, but has pretty much sucked for 150 years.

Yeah, they were the first expansion team to win the Cup.  Yeah, two years in a row.  It was a great time.  But when that was done, it was NOW.

Same with "the Streak" and that Cup finals.  And the 80s teams that lost to the Oilers.  That was pretty cool.  But when that was going on, it was NOW.

The nonsense that has been going on the past couple years make these constant "trot out an old guy and delude the fans into warm and fuzzy feelings while we bumble#### our way through existance" has such a disingenuous feel to it it is nauseating.

"Our product sucks so let's justify the ticket price by trotting out some horse."   Forget the fact the guy played for 100 games and played (occasionally) on one of the worst Flyers teams in recent memory. 

WHY are we trotting out Forsberg?   Why not Hatcher?  Or is he next week?  Seriously, Hatcher was great on another team, played his twilight on the Flyers, played at least 100 games, and provided some leadership on and off the ice.  WHY Forsberg?

Because it deludes the nostalgic and gets them to buy tickets and concessions.  Boston fans used to complain about very similar before their recent run of success.

For me, the constant parade of former players, the God-awful Kate Smith video, etc. etc. isn't about history.  It's about the warm fuzzy feeling about a happier time when the organization wasn't so incredibly clueless.  "Hey, remember?  We were once good!  Hooray!  Dwell on that for a bit and forget we signed VLC for five years for no particular reason other than that Pavel Bure wasn't available."

It's pathetic.

awesome write-up rux... could not agree more.

Flyers history.

It's pathetic.

The fact that the old man think this approach is actually acceptable is proof that he's delusional. He believes the lie. He thinks talking about what happened before the birth of Christ means something to the fan base. It's so bad that I think there's actually less homer fans than there used to be. When I first joined my very first hockey-related message board (philly.com) over a decade ago, that wasn't the case. There were still many who were loyal to the brand, regardless of the situation. That's not the case anymore. If anything, a majority of the people are at the opposite end of the spectrum now. People are sick of being fed horse sh-t (and I'm not talking about the product on the ice, though it could certainly apply).

Flyers history.

It's pathetic.

I don't understand all the hate on this, rux. 

I mean, it's one night - not even a night, probably a 1-2 minute video tribute to the games Forsberg played in Philly. Sure, it wasn't for a long time, but it was pretty special watching him play and how he elevated Gagne and Knuble to a completely different level. 

Sure, it wasn't for a long time, but it was pretty special watching him play and how he elevated Gagne and Knuble to a completely different level.

I think rux's reaction was in response to pods' point about how they have a rich history. The franchise does have a rich history.

But that doesn't make it immediately relevant today any more than (to use rux's point) France talking about what a great guy Napoleon was (until he lost).

And, as long as we're wallowing in the history, however, let's look at the worst season in the history of the franchise which just so happens to be the same year Forsberg was with the team.

"Elevated Gagne and Knuble to another level"? Sure. Unfortunately that "level" - no matter how good the individual achievements - was 22-48-12.

I'm not fondly recalling the 4-2 loss to the Sabres, the year before, either.

And this, at least, was seven years ago - not 40.

I mean, it's one night - not even a night, probably a 1-2 minute video tribute to the games Forsberg played in Philly.

The Flyers seem to think it is "Peter Forsberg Hockey Hall of Fame Celebration"

http://ev15.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventInfo?ticketCode=GS%3AWACH%3AFL2014%3AFL15%3A&linkID=global-wachovia&shopperContext=&pc=&caller=&appCode=&groupCode=FL-IND14&cgc=

Tue, Dec. 16, 2014 Tampa Bay Peter Forsberg Hockey Hall Of Fame Celebration | Superpretzel Dollar Pretzel Night

Meltzer, who goes on for 20 paragraphs and three highlight videos, calls it "Peter Forsberg Night":

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Flyers-Gameday-121614-vs-TB-Peter-Forsberg-Night-Holiday-Toy-Drive/45/64842

Anyone else think this is absolutely ridiculous to be "honoring" a guy who played a grand total of 100 games for the team, scoring 30 goals and 85 assists and "leading" them to six whole playoff games?

Someone even put together a montage of his "greatest moments as a Flyer" - which doesn't apparently include close up shots of his boot.

I like Forsberg the player. I like what he did for the game. He deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

As "a Flyer" though, I don't really think I have all that much to "honor".

YMMV.

Thoughts?

Hey at least we drafted him....right? My guess is they're trying to deflect some angst.

I think rux's reaction was in response to pods' point about how they have a rich history. The franchise does have a rich history.

But that doesn't make it immediately relevant today any more than (to use rux's point) France talking about what a great guy Napoleon was (until he lost).

And, as long as we're wallowing in the history, however, let's look at the worst season in the history of the franchise which just so happens to be the same year Forsberg was with the team.

"Elevated Gagne and Knuble to another level"? Sure. Unfortunately that "level" - no matter how good the individual achievements - was 22-48-12.

I'm not fondly recalling the 4-2 loss to the Sabres, the year before, either.

And this, at least, was seven years ago - not 40.

The Flyers seem to think it is "Peter Forsberg Hockey Hall of Fame Celebration"

http://ev15.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventInfo?ticketCode=GS%3AWACH%3AFL2014%3AFL15%3A&linkID=global-wachovia&shopperContext=&pc=&caller=&appCode=&groupCode=FL-IND14&cgc=

Tue, Dec. 16, 2014 Tampa Bay Peter Forsberg Hockey Hall Of Fame Celebration | Superpretzel Dollar Pretzel Night

Meltzer, who goes on for 20 paragraphs and three highlight videos, calls it "Peter Forsberg Night":

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Flyers-Gameday-121614-vs-TB-Peter-Forsberg-Night-Holiday-Toy-Drive/45/64842

I guess I'm in the minority because I just don't see anything to get worked up about. It's Peter Forsberg night, everyone gets cheap pretzels, and then we play the Panthers on Thursday.

I don't understand all the hate on this, rux. 

I mean, it's one night - not even a night, probably a 1-2 minute video tribute to the games Forsberg played in Philly. Sure, it wasn't for a long time, but it was pretty special watching him play and how he elevated Gagne and Knuble to a completely different level. 

I think you have to view it in the context of the organization and the way I described it rather than its being about Forsberg.  I don't hate Forsberg.

But--to make it a little about Forsberg-- for me it's kind of like the Kansas City Chiefs having a Joe Montana night.  Give me a freaking break.

because I just don't see anything to get worked up about.

Positively OR negatively.  So why bother?  That's the point.

I'm not worked up.  At all.  I just don't see the point.

The only "point" I see is the organization doing yet something else rather than focusing on the actual product.  It's the makers of the Yugo having a free taco day.  The car still sucks.

I think you have to view it in the context of the organization and the way I described it rather than its being about Forsberg.  I don't hate Forsberg.

But--to make it a little about Forsberg-- for me it's kind of like the Kansas City Chiefs having a Joe Montana night.  Give me a freaking break.

"Next Saturday - Patrick Thoresen Night | Free Peanut Butter Ball"

I mean, it's one night - not even a night, probably a 1-2 minute video tribute to the games Forsberg played in Philly.

It's Peter Forsberg night, everyone gets cheap pretzels, and then we play the Panthers on Thursday.

Well played, sir! :D

The only "point" I see is the organization doing yet something else rather than focusing on the actual product.  It's the makers of the Yugo having a free taco day.  The car still sucks.

Or maybe that's the only mildly interesting thing they do have to focus on until they get this thing turned around in 3-5 years.

Yes. I'm sick of this organization's marketing gimmicks and their "rich history".

I guess that's what happens when there is nothing else to showcase.  If there are no Cup won in 40 years, they might as well honor good players who *happened* to have passed by.  It's quite pitiful.

I can answer that one!

Because Forsberg is going in the Hall of Fame and Hatcher isn't.

What do I win?

I can answer that one!

Because Forsberg is going in the Hall of Fame and Hatcher isn't.

What do I win?

But he's not going in as a Flyer, is he?  I mean, I get the Avs having a Forsberg night.  Maybe even two nights.

I don't remember a Paul Coffey night.

I wonder if some day we'll have a Jagr night...because he made Giroux and Hartnell play better for a season.

Are the Wings having a Hasek night?

Sorry, I ain't buying what they're selling.  I see it as nothing other than a marketing gimmick.  And it just wouldn't be an attraction for me.

Honestly, though, I may not be their target audience anyway.   I found myself annoyed by the Leclair/Lindros thing and they, at least, deserved it as Flyers.

And this surprises you... why?

Oh, it doesn't.  Just calling it for what it is.  It's pandering at its finest.  Just saying they're making a play for sentimental emotion, and that won't be forthcoming from this smarmy bastard.

Oh, it doesn't.  Just calling it for what it is.  It's pandering at its finest.  Just saying they're making a play for sentimental emotion, and that won't be forthcoming from this smarmy bastard.

I'll probably get a little sentimental but then I'm a sentimental kind of guy. And Forsberg is one of my all time favorite athletes so what the heck. I do agree though, it's a little silly.

Archived