Pavel Datsyuk vs Alexei Kovalev (stickhandling)

JagerMeister

Just off the top of my head, I will say Pavel Datsyuk, simply because, while both could stick handle in the proverbial phone booth, I believe Datsyuk's antics more often than not, ended with a point production of some sort...whether he got a goal or he dished off to someone else who got it, meanwhile, Kovalev was notorious for OVER stick handling, passing up obvious chances to take a prime shot, or even spot an open teammate for a goal...and thus HIS stick handling didn't end up with nearly as many point results for his team...which of course, drove his coaches insane....

Both are supremely talented guys, and yea, like @blocker said, Kovalev had the reputation of perhaps not always playing at 'full speed'.

For my money, I will go with Datsyuk, who despite his one man show, was more of a team guy, while Kovalev was more an ONLY man show (not suggesting he was a bad teammate mind you), because he would often forget he had guys he could pass off to, or take a shot so that even if he missed, a teammate could maybe jump on a rebound.

Datsyuk seemed more aware of the big picture than Kovalev, IMO.

Just off the top of my head, I will say Pavel Datsyuk, simply because, while both could stick handle in the proverbial phone booth, I believe Datsyuk's antics more often than not, ended with a point production of some sort...whether he got a goal or he dished off to someone else who got it, meanwhile, Kovalev was notorious for OVER stick handling, passing up obvious chances to take a prime shot, or even spot an open teammate for a goal...and thus HIS stick handling didn't end up with nearly as many point results for his team...which of course, drove his coaches insane....

Both are supremely talented guys, and yea, like @blocker said, Kovalev had the reputation of perhaps not always playing at 'full speed'.

For my money, I will go with Datsyuk, who despite his one man show, was more of a team guy, while Kovalev was more an ONLY man show (not suggesting he was a bad teammate mind you), because he would often forget he had guys he could pass off to, or take a shot so that even if he missed, a teammate could maybe jump on a rebound.

I found footage of Kovalev that didnt lead to goals, the quality is bad, but not bad enough to not see whats going on.

Datsyuk isn't in the same class as Kovalev was with stick handling. I put Datsyuk right with Sid as far as ability to handle the puck, but Kovalev was unbelievable. Despite his lazy play, the guy made more moves going nowhere than anyone I've ever seen play the game. I often wonder what could've been if he only had a work ethic.

Datsyuk isn't in the same class as Kovalev was with stick handling. I put Datsyuk right with Sid as far as ability to handle the puck, but Kovalev was unbelievable. Despite his lazy play, the guy made more moves going nowhere than anyone I've ever seen play the game. I often wonder what could've been if he only had a work ethic.

Actually, i dont think it was work ethic,nobody is that strong without having good work ethic    

he relied on talent alone and nothing else, maybe thats why he wasnt as good as he could have been

Actually, i dont think it was work ethic,nobody is that strong without having good work ethic ... he relied on talent alone and nothing else, maybe thats why he wasnt as good as he could have been

You confused me there. Yes he relied on talent alone, which is why I wish he'd had a work ethic. I wish he'd busted his tail trying to win. I wish he'd given a damn beyond his paycheck. Just never saw it.

You confused me there. Yes he relied on talent alone, which is why I wish he'd had a work ethic. I wish he'd busted his tail trying to win. I wish he'd given a damn beyond his paycheck. Just never saw it.

You dont just naturally have a wicked shot, great moves, and become really strong without atleast having some work ethic. he had all those things but his hockey IQ wasnt that great. 

You dont just naturally have a wicked shot, great moves, and become really strong without atleast having some work ethic. he had all those things but his hockey IQ wasnt that great.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Laziest super talent the Pens ever had.

This.

Sergei Samsonov was the same

I wonder if this is semantics here,  the guy clearly worked on  his game...so I didn't see a "lazy" player, I saw a guy that got hit in a game and then just took his stick for a skate afterwards.

I think we all wished he had a higher compete level to go with the talent. I think in general this is the "knock" on most eastern european players who come to north america.

I wonder if this is semantics here, the guy clearly worked on his game...so I didn't see a "lazy" player, I saw a guy that got hit in a game and then just took his stick for a skate afterwards.

I think we all wished he had a higher compete level to go with the talent. I think in general this is the "knock" on most eastern european players who come to north america.

That's the thing though it didnt even take a hit. Some games he just never showed up at all. Call it "compete level", "heart" or "work ethic"... It's all the same thing. The guy didn't put in EFFORT. He was just naturally gifted and that was as far as he would go.

I wonder if this is semantics here,  the guy clearly worked on  his game...so I didn't see a "lazy" player, I saw a guy that got hit in a game and then just took his stick for a skate afterwards.

And why Sharks fans call Marleau "Patrick Marlov"

Archived