Okposo out for 6-8 weeks

yave1964

The good news for the Islanders is that Kyle Okposo will return before the playoffs start.

The bad news is that Okposo, who is scoring at a point a game ratio and providing much of the heart to the upstart Islanders season will be out for up to 2 months with an UBI.

The Islanders sit in first place with a 31-14-1 record, good for 63 points. Okposo has 44 points in 46 games, he has been one of the hottest players in hockey before the break, with 9 points in his last six games.

This is an injury that will be difficult to overcome for the Isles as they are locked in a four way battle for the division title, Okposo and John Tavares are as good of a combo as any in the game this season, hell they are even making first round bust Josh Bailey relevant in recent weeks.

The Islanders are getting Grabovski back soon, he will help but losing Okposo is a difficult hurdle to overcome.

They may not lose ground to the Penguins as Malkin has been placed on the IR also.  But the Rangers are healthy and I expect them to gain some ground for the Metropolitan division lead.

I'm sure glad I didn't accept that trade offer from Jammer....:)

@yave1964

wow, torn retina, that face down recovery,  sounds awful.

To repair the damaged retina, your ophthalmologist (Eye M.D.) removes some of your eye’s vitreous (the gel-like substance that fills the inside of your eye) and injects a gas bubble into your eye to take its place. This bubble holds the retina in place as it reattaches to the back of your eye. You may have to keep your head face down (parallel to the ground or to the side) for up to several weeks after surgery so the bubble will be in the right position. With time, the bubble disappears and is replaced with your normal eye fluid. Your ophthalmologist will tell you how long you must maintain positioning of your head and eye

http://uthscsa.edu/eye/PDFs/Face_down.pdf

@yave1964

wow, torn retina, that face down recovery,  sounds awful.

Dear Lord,

That was awful just reading it.  By the way, I have a really weird thing with eyes.  I can't even watch a Visine commercial.   So even reading that quote was painful as hell for me.

The bad news is that Okposo, who is scoring at a point a game ratio and providing much of the heart to the upstart Islanders season will be out for up to 2 months with an UBI.

This UBI is worse than thought...

New York Islanders top-line forward Kyle Okposo is out with a detached retina in his eye, a source confirmed Tuesday to ESPN.com's Katie Strang.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/story/_/id/12273659/kyle-okposo-new-york-islanders-detached-retina

Sad i hate to hear this he may never see out that eye again.

Archived