The Stars are right back in it

yave1964

Last night was a typical Dallas Stars game, in Ottawa they jumped out to a 3-0 lead early only to watch Lehtonen slowly bleed it away, by early in the third the Senators had tied it only for Dallas to push back with a goal by John Klingberg and then two straight short handed empty netters for a 6-3 win.

Right now the Stars are 22-19-7 good for 51 points and only 4 points out of a playoff spot. They have the second most goals in the conference only 1 goal behind the Blues, but the third most goals allowed only giving up less than the pathetic and clueless Coyotes and Oilers.

They were getting killed early in the year because of essentially only having one line. Cole, Roussell and Eakin and even Hemsky have come on lately, and young Brett Ritchie who was tearing it up in the AHL is up and has 3 goals in 8 games.

Jamie+Benn+raAqKOzQmKjm.jpg

On defense Trevor Daley has had a long anticipated breakout year and rookie Klingberg is second among all rookie d-men in scoring trailing only Eckblad. GM Jim Nill has spent the entire season attempting to rebuild the defense on the fly after a wretched start attributed mostly to the porous back end and Lehtonen being very, leaky.

It comes down to two players, Benn and Seguin have to continue their pace, Seguin is only one goal behind Ovie for the league lead, and lehtonen has to step it up. They are fun to watch, kind of the old eighties firewagon type of hockey, Nill is a hot shot young GM who is not afraid to make a move.

Seguin has slowed down

He has,  don't believe anyone thought he would score 70 which he was on pace for at one point. 50 is still within reach and IMHO he has to wind up around there for the Stars to make it.

Meh, I'm not sold on Dallas getting into the playoffs.

I definitely don't dispute their offense, but they simply don't play enough defense, have the goaltending, or play disciplined enough, IMO, to beat out the glut of teams battling for the the two WC spots.

I mean, aside from scoring goals, they are average or VERY below average in other aspects of the team.

They sorta remind me of the old Atlanta Thrashers in the former South East division.

Atlanta would go on these offensive tears fueled by guys like Ilya Kovalchuk or Dany Heatley, win a string of games, only to get pulled back down by a losing streak mainly due to poor defense, spotty goaltending, or lack of discipline, I.E., taking too many penalties and not having the PK units to balance that.

And of course, the old Thrash never did get anywhere either.

I will give you this though, @yave1964 , the 2014-15 Dallas Stars are NOT boring to watch.

Right now the Stars are 22-19-7 good for 51 points and only 4 points out of a playoff spot.

All this without their best RW as well, not sure when Nichushkin will be back he has had hip/groin nagging him all season...maybe he'll be back in time to get some games in before the playoffs.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, he got his body very very low for that hit.  Basically every part of Kulinov's body was below Seguins waist, so his center of gravity was right in the knee area.  Hope Seguin can get back quickly, you never want to see a star player go down on a play like that. (or any player really)

@OccamsRazor  Latest I've heard is 3-6 weeks for Tyler. Plus, Patrick Eaves, who was lighting it up on the top line with Seguin and Benn has a concussion and is out indefinitely. 2/3rds of the top line out for significant time in one game.....ouch, that is gonna hurt their chances. The secondary scoring is *really* gonna have to step it up.

@OccamsRazor  Latest I've heard is 3-6 weeks for Tyler. Plus, Patrick Eaves, who was lighting it up on the top line with Seguin and Benn has a concussion and is out indefinitely. 2/3rds of the top line out for significant time in one game.....ouch, that is gonna hurt their chances. The secondary scoring is *really* gonna have to step it up.

Screw the Stars.  It really sucks for the Billyport Crips.

Billyport Crips,  aren't the arch rivals of the Bloods?

Yes, as a matter of fact.  It's my FHL team in Nahana.

aea540bfc3c2333d683e6397af7f9a04.jpg

The Billyport Crips

Although, in recent years, The Windsor Warriors are a much bigger foil.

• 1 month later...

Seguin has slowed down

When I saw this thread title I was going to comment similarly.

The past two weeks, maybe three, Seguin, Benn, and Spezza have done absolutely nothing.   The team is actually not suffering offensively, but they're getting nothing out of these guys.

@yave1964  Ask me how I know!

When I saw this thread title I was going to comment similarly.

The past two weeks, maybe three, Seguin, Benn, and Spezza have done absolutely nothing.   The team is actually not suffering offensively, but they're getting nothing out of these guys.

@yave1964  Ask me how I know!

Seguin is kinda streaky, thats what i have noticed atleast

Archived